Near-Field Listening: Acquired Taste or Proper Paradigm?

mmannaxx

Feb 22, 2024
Ohio
Thanks again. I had a pair of large Advents as well while I did one year of law school but then decided to go a different direction and got a Ph. D. after teaching for awhile. No photos of my Advents unfortunately. Regret selling those but maybe they weren't as good as I remember.
Yes, the AR-4x is that size. I have no experience with the KLH 17, but the AR-4x was the first component speaker system I ever bought back when I was about 13 years old and the 4x was then in current production. I bought them again decades later as vintage speakers and used them in my office for over a decade until I retired at the end of 2022. They are good--very, very good, probably the most neutral sounding of all the vintage AR speakers, just with less bass extension but a very pleasing-to-me balance.

For a picture of that office system with the AR-4x speakers, see this link.

For specs and all the original advertising materials, see the Classic Speaker Pages.
Any thoughts on the Genesis 1+ speakers? If they have been refoamed and have a brace installed between the tweeter and woofer to improve bass clarity? They are a bit larger cab than the A60, also heavier, so I may regret that in the future if I need to move them much, but I am not planning on moving anytime soon!

mmannaxx

Feb 22, 2024
Ohio
I am seeing that the AR6 is also around 20 inches high and might be a possibility for my setup but am also seeing that it might have a more "west coast" bass heavy sound than is typical of East Coast speakers. Also there seems to be some issue as to AR speakers, in general, being power hungry. The amp I will be using is an early 70s KR-6200 from Kenwood with 45 watts max into 8 ohm speakers, so that is another issue perhaps in finding the best speaker match. I am hoping I can find the right vintage speakers to mate with this amp but at this point I am not sure what will work best. The journey continues to set up my near field listening station. This is taking up some time that I might be using to practice dobro or guitar. So maybe that is a good thing (for my wife)!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing