Digital that sounds like analog

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Last I checked, fairly recently (past few months), TI/BB and ADI both had conventional DACs in their audio line, or at least DAC at audio rates. Most if not all of the highly-integrated chips, the ones most used in commercial products, are DS, however, so very few may be using the older designs. I did not check to see what companies like Sabre or Wolfson are using. Crystal (now part of Cirrus, I think?) makes DS and those are widely used in computer sound cards and such.

DS DACs still glitch but the impact is much, much less due to their higher speed and fact that only one level is involved so no change of signal modulation. However, ISI can be an issue, leading to all sorts of other problems. Modern multi-bit DS designs could conceivably suffer from the same sorts of issues other DAC architectures have with glitches, however.

Disclaimer: I have not thought much about this at all; please consider my comments off-the-cuff, IMO, etc. - Don

p.s. On what is the biggest problem with digital today, I am not really sure. I think a lot of it is perception and the fact that people like the sound of e.g. LPs even though they are technically far inferior. Perhaps more effort should be expended on figuring out why, i.e. what it is about that sound that people like, and less on seeking perfection. The perfection is pretty much there by most measurements; what remains is to find out why they do not sound perfect to people. Had I plenty of time and money to play with, that is where I would start. Actually, opus11 is making strides in that direction...

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Last I checked, fairly recently (past few months), TI/BB and ADI both had conventional DACs in their audio line, or at least DAC at audio rates.

They do but they're disappearing rapidly. From TI, the only audio conventional (multibit) one left in production is the PCM1704 and I don't think that one is staying primarily because of demand in audio. ADI used to have AD1865 up until a few months ago, that's gone obsolete now. ADI recommend a D-S part as replacement for this.

Most if not all of the highly-integrated chips, the ones most used in commercial products, are DS, however, so very few may be using the older designs. I did not check to see what companies like Sabre or Wolfson are using. Crystal (now part of Cirrus, I think?) makes DS and those are widely used in computer sound cards and such.

When I was referring to the older designs I meant multibit ones, not DS. Both Sabre (ESS) and Wolfson only make DS, as does Cirrus. When they were Crystal though, and this is going back to the 80s, Cirrus made some really nice multibit ADCs. I still have a couple of their 1MHz, 12bit parts in my box which I'm tempted to press into audio duty together with some DSP :cool:

DS DACs still glitch but the impact is much, much less due to their higher speed and fact that only one level is involved so no change of signal modulation. However, ISI can be an issue, leading to all sorts of other problems. Modern multi-bit DS designs could conceivably suffer from the same sorts of issues other DAC architectures have with glitches, however.

The multibit SDs don't have R2R architecture so that's one big way they have lower glitch. They glitch in rather different ways in that they're pure CMOS so are crowbarring the supply on every clock edge - the glitches are on the power supply when then feeds through to the output.

p.s. On what is the biggest problem with digital today, I am not really sure. I think a lot of it is perception and the fact that people like the sound of e.g. LPs even though they are technically far inferior.

I'm not one of those who likes the sound of LP - I don't have any, sold off years ago. When CD came out I didn't notice the noise modulation imperfections I notice now, but I did love the improvement it gave me on piano over LP. I found LP just couldn't do the dynamics of piano well enough. LP lovers bear in mind my TT wasn't an expensive one (Rega Planar 3). The best piano LP I ever owned in terms of SQ was a Nimbus direct-to-disk of Bernard Roberts playing the Diabelli Variations, however my TT/arm/cartridge could not track this without gross distortion. So I really appreciated CD's freedom from hash on piano.

My take is that vinyl lovers love it for its significantly lower noise modulation than digital. For which we still do not have standardized measurements. But absence of measurements is no indication than an effect doesn't exist ;)

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
What does noise modulation look like on an FFT?

A quick summary of where we are...

I've bleated on about noise modulation in digital and mentioned that its also an issue with analog. Here are a couple of FFT plots to demonstrate how it looks on a tape machine. The first result is a truly excellent one for an analog tape machine, a Studer. The second is decidedly so-so in comparison, this is an Otari. The stimulus here is an approximate 1kHz single sine.

studer-a80-FFT.jpg otari5050-FFT.jpg

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Tape machines are an interesting example of where apparently rather bad measurements still sound good so its interesting to dig somewwhat deeper into what's going on - what really matters in the measurements, in relation to SQ?

Both machines show substantial (by digital standards) THD - the Studer's 3rd harmonic distortion is nearly 0.2%, the Otari's 2nd is nudging 3%. But i didn't post these to talk about THD, that's old hat. Rather the 'skirts' around the base of the tones here show noise modulation artifacts. Its not only the input tone that attracts noise modulation but also the distortion tones added by the machine itself. There's also the issue of LF noise modulation that doesn't seem to be related to any input tone at all, the Otari being by far the worst offender.

The difference I believe is in relation to where the noise modulation occurs, frequency-wise. Apart from the LF, the noise is being added close-in to the tone, hence is very likely masked by our brain/ear perceptual processing. With digital though I have the hypothesis that the nose modulation is much broader band and hence not subject to masking.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd just like to thank Don and Opus for the clarifications. Thanks again guys.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Jack.

opus11 -- Hmmm... Sampling will fold everything into baseband, but that happens in the ADC. The DAC's output is broadband. It may be that you discover the limitation is on the source (ADC, recording) side, alas.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Well I'd not see that occurence as an 'alas' - rather an opportunity to sell the studio a better ADC :D With the current level of transparency of the DAC its not too hard to hear noise modulation on some recordings. Chesky Records in particular have an ADC which adds artifacts, particularly noticeable over the voice of the announcer on 'The Ultimate Demonstration Disc'. Which is rather a sweet irony given how they market themselves as an 'audiophile' label :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Tape machines are an interesting example of where apparently rather bad measurements still sound good so its interesting to dig somewwhat deeper into what's going on - what really matters in the measurements, in relation to SQ?

Both machines show substantial (by digital standards) THD - the Studer's 3rd harmonic distortion is nearly 0.2%, the Otari's 2nd is nudging 3%. But i didn't post these to talk about THD, that's old hat. Rather the 'skirts' around the base of the tones here show noise modulation artifacts. Its not only the input tone that attracts noise modulation but also the distortion tones added by the machine itself. There's also the issue of LF noise modulation that doesn't seem to be related to any input tone at all, the Otari being by far the worst offender.

The difference I believe is in relation to where the noise modulation occurs, frequency-wise. Apart from the LF, the noise is being added close-in to the tone, hence is very likely masked by our brain/ear perceptual processing. With digital though I have the hypothesis that the nose modulation is much broader band and hence not subject to masking.

Quite cool...seems like you have really started to dissect the problem...i need to re-read this, but thanks for continuing to share an ongoing narrative of your dissection!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They do but they're disappearing rapidly. From TI, the only audio conventional (multibit) one left in production is the PCM1704 and I don't think that one is staying primarily because of demand in audio. ADI used to have AD1865 up until a few months ago, that's gone obsolete now. ADI recommend a D-S part as replacement for this.

i think i already asked you this...but what do you think of the AD1865? i can see your positive views on the TDA1541 Double Crown. i was curious because i have now read 3 xtremely positive reviews of the Audio Note DAC Fifth Element ($100K!!!!!) which uses this chip. Martin Colloms suggested CD might have been 'hi-res' all along based on this DAC's performance...and its just taken 30 years to get it off the CD.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The most "analog sounding" all solid state DACS I've heard and own (lacking the strained clipping type of artifacts) have output voltages higher than the norm: 3v and up, some as high as 6v.

Could there be a correlation?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The most "analog sounding" all solid state DACS I've heard and own (lacking the strained clipping type of artifacts) have output voltages higher than the norm: 3v and up, some as high as 6v.

Could there be a correlation?

interesting...Zanden is 1v output though [i think] Roy Gregory felt sure it was higher for some reason.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Actually I had the 5000 in mind when I expressly stated "all solid state DACs". The Zanden is very analog sounding but I suspect that the tube section along with the analog filters is doing the smoothing out of the nasties.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
i think i already asked you this...but what do you think of the AD1865?

I haven't heard any DAC with the AD1865 inside, but hey its multibit so probably it sounds just great. Its gone obsolete now so perhaps its headed for even more fame and glory now its 'dead':)

i can see your positive views on the TDA1541 Double Crown.

This chip is an interesting case where the measurements and the sound do coincide - the TDA1541A is the best measuring and best sounding 16bit DAC available. I'd like to know what the double crown brings to the party, I know its selected but not totally clear what measurements they did to select them coz the datasheet mentions DNL which is a static measurement.

I put the TDA1541A's superiority down to two aspects of its design. First its current segment, so doesn't have the glitching problems of the R2R parts, second its internal circuitry is bipolar hence none of the CMOS (or BiCMOS) glitching of the power supplies.

i was curious because i have now read 3 xtremely positive reviews of the Audio Note DAC Fifth Element ($100K!!!!!) which uses this chip.

At that price its hard for me to imagine that placebo didn't play a part in the perceived sound.

Martin Colloms suggested CD might have been 'hi-res' all along based on this DAC's performance...and its just taken 30 years to get it off the CD.

I do agree with Mr Colloms on this point - its not about the CD format being flawed at all, rather its the implementations to date which have sucked. Which I plan to remedy, but at a slightly more realistic price point :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I haven't heard any DAC with the AD1865 inside, but hey its multibit so probably it sounds just great. Its gone obsolete now so perhaps its headed for even more fame and glory now its 'dead':)

This chip is an interesting case where the measurements and the sound do coincide - the TDA1541A is the best measuring and best sounding 16bit DAC available. I'd like to know what the double crown brings to the party, I know its selected but not totally clear what measurements they did to select them coz the datasheet mentions DNL which is a static measurement.

I put the TDA1541A's superiority down to two aspects of its design. First its current segment, so doesn't have the glitching problems of the R2R parts, second its internal circuitry is bipolar hence none of the CMOS (or BiCMOS) glitching of the power supplies.

At that price its hard for me to imagine that placebo didn't play a part in the perceived sound.

I do agree with Mr Colloms on this point - its not about the CD format being flawed at all, rather its the implementations to date which have sucked. Which I plan to remedy, but at a slightly more realistic price point :p

Thanks, Opus111! Always like to read your posts...and cannot wait to hear your DAC someday! Until then, happy with my Zanden...;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well I'd not see that occurence as an 'alas' - rather an opportunity to sell the studio a better ADC :D With the current level of transparency of the DAC its not too hard to hear noise modulation on some recordings. Chesky Records in particular have an ADC which adds artifacts, particularly noticeable over the voice of the announcer on 'The Ultimate Demonstration Disc'. Which is rather a sweet irony given how they market themselves as an 'audiophile' label :p

Well that's dCS for you. Just like some of the new stuff that Sterling is doing for them. They are using 15yr old dCS converters. I had them in here for a year and never liked them.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Well that's dCS for you. Just like some of the new stuff that Sterling is doing for them. They are using 15yr old dCS converters. I had them in here for a year and never liked them.

They use dCS now? They started out with Bob Adams' design which was originally dbx and made a big song and dance about how its low level linearity performance was better than multibit in those days (it was too, no kidding). That was around 1990 or so - when did they change?

Kindhornman

Dec 3, 2012
Los Angeles, California, USA
Somehow I remember Chesky using Meridian and Cello as their main components. But that was so long ago perhaps everything has changed. I am now curious enough to open up my Sony ES CDP to see what the chips are. I always thought that it was multi-bit, I will let you know. It is one of the better commercial CDP's that I have heard compared to most consumer units. It is an X33ES model.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Bob Stuart at Meridian has long used S-D type DACs so no surprise Chesky can't hear the noise modulation that their ADC introduces.

A quick bit of Googling reveals your player has the CXD2552 DAC from Sony which is a 1bit device so you're outta luck:( Looks like you should have bought the CDP-337ESD instead:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing