Recommend an audiophile PMP

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I want an audiophile quality PMP (personal music player). It needs to have the following features:

- large storage, preferably HDD based. I want to keep my entire music library on this thing - it is over 500GB in FLAC format, but at 256kbps MP3 it is approximately 120GB.
- built in headphone amplifier
- digital out
- support for FLAC format
- does not require proprietary software, i.e. it can be mounted as a HDD.
- "classical friendly" software - i.e. gapless tracks, ability to sort by composer. I listen to my music like discs on my shelf. I have no interest in the software mashing up all the "songs" in some random fashion. They need to be organized by album.

Size, weight, battery life, and cost is not an issue. As long as it can last a 5 hour plane flight it is good enough.

Anybody know anything suitable?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

The only portable player I know with audiophile pretenses is the HIFIMAN HM-801 .. While we are talking about the brand, they make what I consider the best Headphones on the market and yes I have heard Sax, Beyer, Sennheiser and Audeze LCD 2... The HE-5L is one of the best headphones I have heard, bar none .. Don't let the (relatively) ow price fool you it is up there with the best .. Doesn't look as gorgeous as the Audeze, Denon, Sennheiser and AKG but put aside those quibbles and you will be pleasantly surprised ...

Go for variable bits VBR if you can V0 quality; unless you are straining you may not distinguish it from 320 and it is about 2/3 the file size of 320 ...

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I looked up this player and read the reviews. It sounds terrific, but is the added expense, weight, size and need to carry memory cards, vs having a built in HDD worth the trouble when it will be used on plane flights. Even with noise canceling headphones when there is so much jet engine noise will there be an improvement over the iPOD to make this worthwhile? You wouldn't do serious listening at home while the room was being vacuumed.

It sounds like the hotel room after the flight, where you can relax, will be where this device really shines.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately that product appears to only come in 4GB or 8GB versions. I need more storage than that.

(edit) just saw that it accepts SDHC cards. That is my biggest worry out the window. Thank you!! What is the maximum capacity of a SDHC card? 32GB? Looks like I might have to carry multiple SDHC cards if I am to bring my collection with me.

Gary, who needs noise cancelling headphones when you have in-ear monitors? :) Besides, my carry-on luggage is very light. Typically I have my laptop, a book, a bottle of water, and a bag of nuts. I can easily fit a PMP in there!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Which in-ear monitors do you use? It sounds like I should check these out.

I use my Sony MDR7509 full size, NON noise canceling headphones on trips, so I can relate to carrying a lot of stuff along on flights.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Which in-ear monitors do you use? It sounds like I should check these out.

I use my Sony MDR7509 full size, NON noise canceling headphones on trips, so I can relate to carrying a lot of stuff along on flights.

I have two IEM's - Etymotic ER-4P and Ultimate Ears (now Logitech) Triple-Fi 10P.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Did you have custom ear moulds made for the Etymotic?

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
How about you get a little 2.5 hdd with built in wifi, say like the Seagate Goflex Satellite (500GB)

Then you just use someting like this: A headphone amp/dac. GoVibe Porta Tube+ and such.

Push the pictures for related articles.. about them. (The pictures are the links...)
Now, your Ipod read the wifi stored music from the Seagate, 5 hours of joy! At least! (The Goflex will last up to 8 hours but that is may not always be the case, depending on the temperature in the room and such parameters)
I have not tried this, but it would most likely store your massive collection. 3 little boxes. Neat stuff!

I use a Motorola Cellphone, A Defy+ (Motorola 526) with a AKG K420 set plugged into the phone.
16 Gig microSDHC card inside the phone when I'm on the go.
The Motorola Defy+ really has got a nice dac + headphone output buillt into it! 8-9 hours of fair quality music I think I get out out of it. (The Dfy+ will accommodate 32Gig cards.. It's really not all that bad!
I don't have a massive stored collection. for listening on the go. Just about 4-5 gigs only - I use Spotify, ultra high quality setting and that really sound nice as well!
The AKG 420 is a bit Dr.Dre'ish in the bass, but I love them for tunes on the go.
Your etymotics must be much better, of course...

Then you could pack one of these for charging on the Go as well...

You would not be limited to just 5 hours... Rather nifty those small battery extenders. You could keep the wifi HDD and the lot of your entourage most likely powered and running for days on end if you should need that.

And if you're really feeling real frisky I'm quite sure one could rip out the spinner disc from the Seagate case and replace it with say a Samsung 840 Pro SSD of say 256GB or 512GB that consumes in the order of 92 -97% less power while running.
It would be one impressive hack job, But I'm sure it could be done.
It would run for a week! On the standard battery! (if it could be done, that is, would be fun just to try!!)
You'd have to turn off DIPM/Trim Should be no problem seeing as one usually don't write to the drive while "on the go"
0.04w idle consumption and 0.07w "running". That would not tax the battery much...
Okay, hacking a Goflex satellite I realize is like a really difficult job, so forget about that for the moment. But the possibility still is rather cool!

Mvh

Last edited:

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Mvh you must be insane to recommend hacking into that portable HDD, but I like that kind of insanity! :)

I have travelled with a multi-box audio listening setup before and I do not wish to do it again. I had a portable battery powered amp, which I attached with a rubber band to my iPod. I had to run a cable from the iPod to the amp, then the headphone cable. It was a pain in the A$$ and I have no wish to do that again.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Oh, not so insane at all... :cool:

Well, I usually just use my Phone and a headset, and a touch device pen. That's it!
This is however my entire traveling kit:
Imperials-hifi-onthemove.JPG
It will all fit within the pouch, barely...
Phone, Hdd, Headset, bat-Pak, Camera, touch device pen, USB charger, Card reader/writer. Yes it is a drag, that's why I just use 'one phone, 'one headset... not high-end but it will provide music on the go.

Back to your question, the media device...
Well, I have not seen such a device that you seek. The storage capacity is the problem, you need like 1TB of storage.
I don't think it exists yet! It may do later the year we are about to enter.
But as of right now, my suggestion would be 1 mediaplayer, and one storage device, connected however possible.

Well, you are in luck:
There is a battery powered SDHC card reader With wifi (So you can tuck it away):
http://www.techinfo2.com/rex-wifi-sd-1-make-your-memory-cards-wireless.html 9 hours lifespan on this one!
And you can get SDHC card upward of 2TB in 2013, biggest I've seen so far is 256GB (900$) . But still, you'd only need two.
But this getting kinda expensive... if you buy 32Gig cards, and a "card book" you would have to pay like 500$ for 500GB, or so.
So if you can get a hold of a mediaplayer that sports wifi (or get by with the ipod...), you only need two boxes...

Mvh (It's norwegian for "med vennlig hilsen" = "cheers" , and it is not my name. )

Last edited:

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Bump:

http://www.astellnkern.com/

It seems I was wrong... there does exist players that will take advantage of your stored files...

I just saw it mentioned over on pink fish yesterday, and it sure seems to fit your needs!

Check out the reviews, they kind of like this one! 700 euros, not that bad either!

Written about it:
"the Astell & Kern AK100 comes by default with 32GB of internal memory as well as a a dual MicroSDHC port capable to expand the total amount of internal memory of the Astell & Kern AK100 up to 96GB.
Beside a rather luxurious and elegant design the Astell & Kern AK100 is in fact oriented to music lovers and people looking for the the best audio quality possible, indeed the Astell & Kern AK100 is fully compatible with 24bit/192kHZ FLAC & WAV audio tracks alongside the usual APE/MP3/WMA/OGG support. To achieve such quality the Astell & Kern AK100 comes with Woflson WM8740 powerful DAC offering an output of 110bB on a 10Hz to 20kHz range.

Another great feature of the Astell & Kern AK100 its its dual Optical IN/OUT port that will let you easily plug you DAP to a portable AMP for example as well as other Hi-Fi product without any audio quality loss.

Finally the Astell & Kern AK100 comes with a 2.4? LCD IPS color screen, Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP/HFP and a 12H continuous playback battery when listening to 24bit/192kHZ FLAC or up to 20h of battery when playing Mp3."

I've seen quality 32GB microSD cards for as little as $22 a pop 500/32 = 15 to 16 cards needed. Cost = $350'ish or so.

Then you just get youself a microsd card holder, there are models that will hold 8 - 10 small microsd card at a time.
Two of those, and you're set to travel!

Using microSD cards does mean more cards, but I'm sure that in the end is not a problem, unless you lose them, seeing as they are tiny! So a card holder should definitely be part of the plan!

Mvh

Last edited:

ithrandir

May 31, 2013
http://www.sandisk.sg/products/music-video-players/clip-plus-mp3-player/

(USD 50)

+ rockbox

(free)

16 32gb microSD cards (USD 25 each)

+

JH Audio JH13 or JH16 (1150)

Value! :D Upgrade the headphone first of all. Personally I think the ety is not good for mobile listening, the bass is cut out by ambient noise. It's better in a quiet room (still not enough for my taste, but at least there is extension). The triple fi is fine-ish, but either customs above will be a significant improvement.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Thank you! FYI I just completed my new portable setup. It consists of:

- Astell & Kern AK100
- Sennheiser IE800 canalphones

I was bowled over when I heard this combination. Portable audio has certainly come a long way since the Walkmans I listened to when I was a teenager. If anything, this combination has a little too much bass - but the built-in equalizer in the AK100 took care of that.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Glad you like the little wonder Keith from Astell the AK100 - I,ve got two
girlfriend keeps borrowing mine for weeks at a time
AK100 for a portable sit on the train and listen to 24bit Vinyl Rips

sold my CD player and use one of these as a digital transport into my Tube NOS Dac
They make a even better one the AK120 with dual mono Dacs & better pre/headphone amps

Currently using one as I type with my Taket H2+ / TR2 step-up transformer ( 10-150,000hz ) and 9wpc SET 300b mono blocks to drive the headphones/earspeakers
H2+ known as the " king of headphones in japan " 150khz not a typo they have built-in super tweeters
IMHO even better than any STAX , only headphone to actually rattle your skull if you turn them up loud , I,ve heard worse $100k speakers
http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html

even late at night plug a optical connector from my TV box into the AK dac & listen to HD sound Films
or blutooth in the car hifi , girlfriend uses her with PSB blutooth headphones

Swiss army knife of digital players

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Not sure if this is the right place for this (it is WBF after all), but I just got a Fiio X3. Have only played with it a bit, but so far so good. I need to get a micro sd card so I can put more music on it, but it sounds pretty good.

Probably not as good as the A&K (hence the above parenthetical) but for $200, I'm liking it.

Will report back as I spend more time with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing