What's the best sports convertible for $60K in cash, new or used?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
2005-Acura-NSX-top-view-targa-1024x640.jpg

how about a 2005 Acura NSX Targa? If stock is not fast enough for you, go fast goodies are available

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
So many nice cars being mentioned.

Sort of depends if you want a "driver" (993/911 turbo) or an "investment" (some Ferrari) or just the newest and lowest maintenance with the highest reliability levels.

The NSX is a beauty despite it's age. It's a Honda, I bet it's dependable too.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I've driven one of those! It's an AMAZING little car.
The only thing it's missing is an amazing engine sound to go with it.

This is where Porsche and Ferrari excel at in my opinion.

The Elise is difficult to get in and out of, but I'm told once you are driving it, it all makes sense and feels right. I've only sat in one, I'm a small person and I liked it.

The Evora is even better, but it's a hardtop. It has storage behind the seats........they call them rear seats, but I have my reservations about that.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Oh yes George I totally agree. I am fairly tall and I had major difficulty getting into the Elise with the roof on. To wit: the opening is very small, the sill is high, and the roof is low. It is like trying to mail yourself into a postbox. To get in, I had to push my torso all the way to the passenger seat (over the high centre console) before I could pull my legs in, all the while resting my body weight on the handbrake, gearknob, kicking the door trim and steering wheel, etc. With the roof off, it is easier. You get in, stand on the drivers seat, grab the windscreen, then ease yourself into the seat.

Once you are in, everything feels unfinished. You can see that the trim is a thin piece of plastic attached to the aluminum bulkhead and it may fall off any moment. The seat has little padding but is not uncomfortable. All the bits - steering wheel, gearknob, looks as if it came from a boy racer catalog. The engine itself, as you say, sounds like an angry Toyota because that is what it is.

But once you are moving, it is a totally different animal. The car is simply amazing to drive! It is more like a road legal go-kart than a car. But ultimately it is a little too purist as a daily proposition. Getting into the car to drive home from work every day will drive you crazy. It takes 5 minutes to mount the roof, and it isn't exactly secure. Anybody can simply unbutton the fabric roof and it comes off.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
The NSX is a beauty despite it's age. It's a Honda, I bet it's dependable too.

super car status, and you can drive into a Honda dealership for a $75 oilchange.. that's hard to beat.

and I think they hold their value really well - so you can play, and sell it for not much loss when it's time to move on the the next flavor.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Ferrari 355 spider iw/ A manual transmission can be considered also. Just make sure it has a FSH and you can pay somebody from the dealership or independent to do an inspection. Check the prices of these cars.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Ferrari 355 spider iw/ A manual transmission can be considered also. Just make sure it has a FSH and you can pay somebody from the dealership or independent to do an inspection. Check the prices of these cars.

I tracked my 993 against a 355, it ate me alive. Great cars (both).

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
FSH = Full Service History :)

Here in Australia, nearly all secondhand Ferraris are very low mileage. I asked a Ferrari owner why. The reason - the insurance cost is sky high, about AUD$15k per year for a F355. Because of this, most owners opt for "weekend" insurance, meaning that the car can only be driven on weekends. This cuts the insurance bill significantly but means that you need another car as your daily driver. It is wise not to use your Ferrari as a daily driver anyway.

I really do love Ferraris and came close to buying one. Unfortunately I am not willing to meet the running cost of a Ferrari, and my wife thinks they are too flashy. They really do stimulate the follicles, Steve :)

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
apart from insurance its the maintenace that will kill the joy of owning a 355:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198430

If your going to use it as a week end car and your car came w/ a FSH and w/ low mileage I think its not that bad. And own it for the next 5 yrs who knows, the 355's might be a collectible. Maybe you may be able to sell it at the same price or higher. And even if your not driving it and just looking at the fine details of the355 while drinking coffee or spirits you will have a smile on your face. Ask any Ferrari owner and they know what I mean.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
FSH = Full Service History :)

I really do love Ferraris and came close to buying one. Unfortunately I am not willing to meet the running cost of a Ferrari, and my wife thinks they are too flashy. They really do stimulate the follicles, Steve :)

Wrong follicle, methinks, unless you have ovaries. In men, FSH stimulates spermatogenesis. Your wife probably doesn't like the Ferrari stimulating the follicles of other females.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
How about a mid year corvette convertible (63-67) w/ a small block their price around $60k these days. Maybe even lower w/ a non matching engine number.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Wrong follicle, methinks, unless you have ovaries. In men, FSH stimulates spermatogenesis. Your wife probably doesn't like the Ferrari stimulating the follicles of other females.

Indeed. The sight of a Ferrari (or so i'm told) is enough to cause women, even those in menopause, to ovulate. But what would I know, I am but an oncologist. Steve is the women's doctor here :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing