What's the best sports convertible for $60K in cash, new or used?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am looking for a car that will become one with me and the road.

Just read a very good review of the new Boxster in Winding Road by om Martin, the owner of the Absolute Sound. He seems to think the new Boxster is the best sports car, when value is taken into account. My concern is that having 2 sedans that go from 0-60 in a bit over 5 seconds, the Boxster will feel too slow, but I have not driven it yet. I did drive the Audi TT and it did feel slow.

Any thoughts here, especially among used models?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A used Jag XKE, if you can find a good one. Probably not going to be a very early car, BUT any of them will impress the ladies. Plus, any other motor head like myself who you happen to run into.:D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Definitely get the Porsche Boxster. You will learn that speed isn't everything when it comes to driving enjoyment. The way it steers, the way the car talks to you when you turn in, and the general tightness and precision of it is something else. Before I bought my Boxster, I tried an SLK AMG - you can really feel all the weight down the front and its reluctance to take the corner. Because the front engined car felt so unbalanced, lift off oversteer was a problem as well. I don't mind a little bit of lift off oversteer, but the Merc was a little too much. If you are not anticipating it, it will punish you badly. No such shenanigans with the Boxster.

By the way, I happen to think that the Porsche Cayman is the best sports car, at any price. Reasons - it is mid engined, it handles beautifully (even better than the Boxster), it is comfortable, it actually has enough space to put stuff in, and you can drive it every day. There are cars that are faster - but in reality you won't need that kind of speed unless you do a lot of track time (in which case you are better off with something more specialized). The Cayman, and even slower cars have enough speed to make you lose your license very quickly.

I prefer the Cayman to the 911 simply because I don't like the way the 911 handles ... you always get the feeling that the 911 is trying to kill you. What about other mid-engined cars? Ferraris and Lamborghinis can not be driven every day, and Lotus cars are not comfortable or practical. The Toyota MR2 is no longer in production. What about front engined cars like the M3 and the Audi TT RS? Those cars handle like front engined cars. The first time you turn the steering wheel on a Cayman in anger, you will know what I mean. The change of direction is instant. The steering wheel loads up just nicely and you know exactly what the car is doing.

My suggestion - either a Cayman or a Boxster. But IMO the Boxster is more fun. Ultimately, driving should be about pleasure and not necessarily about speed.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is there a Targa or convertible version of the Cayman?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Not sure how reliable these times are, but I don't think the measure of driving pleasure can be measured in 0-60 times. The Boxster "S" models are the ones to get.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Porsche-0-60-mph-Times.html
2011 Porsche Boxster 0-60 mph 5.5

2011 Porsche Boxster S Spyder 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.7

2012 Porsche Boxster 0-60 mph 5.5

2013 Porsche Boxster S PDK 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.7

The Boxster-S consistently wins sports car shoot-outs, in magazines and on TV shows across the world. It would be my first choice. The dealerships offer used "certified" cars.

I'd get a 2005 S-model or later to be sure to keep away from any potential Rear Main Seal (RMS) issues.

I like the 2011 Spyder, no A/C and the top is not 100% weather-proof (to save weight) but it might be a collectible one day.

http://mybloggyblog2.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-porsche-boxster-spyder.html
0911_06_z%u0025252B2011_porsche_boxster_spyder%252Bprofile.jpg

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I've owned 5 Porches. The last was the Boxster (the previous were all 911's). The 911's (Cabriolet, Targa and Coupe) were ALL faster but not even in the same league in the "fun to drive" category. Take a test drive on a curvy road before deciding if it is not "fast" enough.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I've owned 5 Porches. The last was the Boxster (the previous were all 911's). The 911's (Cabriolet, Targa and Coupe) were ALL faster but not even in the same league in the "fun to drive" category. Take a test drive on a curvy road before deciding if it is not "fast" enough.
Were all of the 911's water pumpers?

Many of the guys in the Pelican Parts forum upgraded to newer 911's and Boxsters only to return to the older air-cooled models. Something about seat of the pants tactile feedback and driving pleasure. A pleasurable rawness as it were.

I have a 1977 911s Targa 2.7L myself, lots of fun for just a 0-60, 7-second car. More power or less weigh would be fun, but I have just enough to stay out of the way of angry soccer moms trying to run me off the road in their SUV's. I'm serious, wish I were joking.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Honda S-2000 is a sleeper. it's actually mid-engined (it's 240hp 4 cylinder engine is behind the front axel) and it does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and 149mph with the top down.

very stiff chassis and the light weight 4 cylinder engine is what makes the car work.

very quick on turn in and great road feel. assuming your inseam is 32" or less you will fit (plenty of headroom even with the top up). the top is weather proof, and like any Honda everything works, it's cheap to maintain, and is well built. great brakes and very nimble. it can benefit from larger tires and wheels to give it a little more grip but is fun stock.

you do have to rev it up to get the power compared to some 'fun cars'; but personally i like that myself. it sounds great at full song with the top down. the transmision is so easy to shift compared to many 'fun cars' and it is a 6 speed, that keeping the revs up is no issue.

you can buy nice 2005-2008 low mileage examples for around $20k + or -. and if you buy a low mileage one from a Honda Dealer you can get it 'certified' with a 7 year 100,000 warranty which includes an extension of the bumper to bumper factory warranty.

last year i almost bought one for myself (i'm GM of a Honda Dealership) but bought a Diesel Tractor with a front loader instead (more fun in a different way). at some point i will definitely buy one before i retire. i can have fun in an S-2000 and not get into trouble. the 2004 911 Turbo i almost bought a couple of years ago was just too much performance, it would have just been a trophy or i would have had to take it to the track. too much hassle.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Honda S-2000 is a sleeper.
A few years ago my neighbor had one (medical student), he loved it.

I've read that you have to keep the RPM's up for it to be fun, sort of an all out track car. No low end torque to speak of, which turns some people off.

The Boxster and Boxster-S have the fastest automatic convertible tops in the business, which is a big selling point. The "Spyder" I posted is very unusual with the manual bikini top, but I like that sort of thing myself.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like the new BMW Zagato mod (Z4)

Attachments

• zagato.jpg
    zagato.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 243
  • BMW-Zagato-Roadster.jpg
    BMW-Zagato-Roadster.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 272

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I concur in suggesting test driving the new Boxster S, posted 0 - 60 is 4.8 seconds, and Porsche is known to be conservative in posting this figure (something like under promise, over deliver). It is reported that the new engine is very similar to that of 911's and probably detuned so that it doesn't walk over the 911's. It is only 10 seconds slower than the 911 in the Nurburgring. A guy at 6speed sold his GT3RS to get the new Boxster, he said it is that good. Have driven older Boxster, but not the new one.

If you hold on to it long enough, aftermarket go fast goodies will become available, some 986 owners are posting 450 hp with the bolt on turbo kit/tune pack from TCP. I think that will be fast enough for most speed demons.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
do you want a slushbox or row your own? effortless acceleration or willing to work at it? a used sl55 amg is great suggestion, and thinking outside the box a 2012 corvette grandsport convertible (60k after discounts). if you can get over the stigma and 'guido' factor, the 'vette is effortless to drive and quciker than most if not all the cars suggested. if buying a porsche i still prefer the 993/996/997 aircooled or water pumper.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I agree with the Vette suggestion. C7 should be out next summer. Stock C6 and first generation R35 GT-R are the most fun cars I've driven. The former should be pretty reliable as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Definitely get the Porsche Boxster. You will learn that speed isn't everything when it comes to driving enjoyment. The way it steers, the way the car talks to you when you turn in, and the general tightness and precision of it is something else. Before I bought my Boxster, I tried an SLK AMG - you can really feel all the weight down the front and its reluctance to take the corner. Because the front engined car felt so unbalanced, lift off oversteer was a problem as well. I don't mind a little bit of lift off oversteer, but the Merc was a little too much. If you are not anticipating it, it will punish you badly. No such shenanigans with the Boxster.

By the way, I happen to think that the Porsche Cayman is the best sports car, at any price. Reasons - it is mid engined, it handles beautifully (even better than the Boxster), it is comfortable, it actually has enough space to put stuff in, and you can drive it every day. There are cars that are faster - but in reality you won't need that kind of speed unless you do a lot of track time (in which case you are better off with something more specialized). The Cayman, and even slower cars have enough speed to make you lose your license very quickly.

I prefer the Cayman to the 911 simply because I don't like the way the 911 handles ... you always get the feeling that the 911 is trying to kill you. What about other mid-engined cars? Ferraris and Lamborghinis can not be driven every day, and Lotus cars are not comfortable or practical. The Toyota MR2 is no longer in production. What about front engined cars like the M3 and the Audi TT RS? Those cars handle like front engined cars. The first time you turn the steering wheel on a Cayman in anger, you will know what I mean. The change of direction is instant. The steering wheel loads up just nicely and you know exactly what the car is doing.

My suggestion - either a Cayman or a Boxster. But IMO the Boxster is more fun. Ultimately, driving should be about pleasure and not necessarily about speed.

Keith

with all due respect I wasn't talking about that little toy SLK AMG but rather a used SL55 AMG. You are comparing apples and oranges. Mine has ~500bhp. Sticker new was $160K and can be bought used now and in great shape for $60K

And people the OP asked about the best sports car new or used for $60K

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Keith

with all due respect I wasn't talking about that little toy SLK AMG but rather a used SL55 AMG. You are comparing apples and oranges. Mine has ~500bhp. Sticker new was $160K and can be bought used now and in great shape for $60K

And people the OP asked about the best sports car new or used for $60K

Hard to beat your suggestion for sport and comfort. I have a lowley '03 SL500 and that car is a blast to drive with the top down.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Lost interest in cars a while ago, but am amazed when shopping for my wife at the low prices on used premium MB's these days. Cars are spotless, some very sporty used models can be had with about 50K miles for less than 20 thousand dollars.

Must be the low interest rates, everybody is buying new rather than used, mounds of premium low mileage used cars on the lots Lexus, MB etc.

I personally would not want a sporty car of any power or speed that exceeded 3000 pounds, if that is what I were driving it for, the inertia just takes something away from the handling.

Me, I am happy with my Subaru WRX wagon, had it for eight years, what a great car (insert WBF laugh track).

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Were all of the 911's water pumpers?

Many of the guys in the Pelican Parts forum upgraded to newer 911's and Boxsters only to return to the older air-cooled models. Something about seat of the pants tactile feedback and driving pleasure. A pleasurable rawness as it were.

I totally agree air-cooled is the way to go! For $60K get the 89 911 turbo cabriolet . I myself prefer the coupe version.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing