What's the best sports convertible for $60K in cash, new or used?

rrr

May 17, 2010
Sl600 = 4300 lbs
996 GT2 = 3200 lbs

no doubt the sl600 is quick, but which do you think corners and brakes better?

I have a SL600 and have owned a recent 911, the SL corners and brakes quite well, the 911 is completely different due to its weight and balance. I haven't looked at the test numbers but the 911 braking might have been close, but the cornering of 911's is just beyond any comparison I could make, I guess the best that I have driven. But the question of which is better is academic because once a car has a particular level of performance, than any additional increment of performance, either power, breaking or cornering, becomes incrementally less relevant and other items such as comfort, convenience and reliability become more significant. The SL600 seems to me to possess a mix of these items that is optimum, at least for me. I also have a Ferrari 575 SA which I rarely drive, not because I don't like to drive it but more because I don't like to park it and I don't like the attention it gets. The SL600 is the best, overall, "sports car" that I have been exposed to.

rrr

May 17, 2010
as I said earlier, I would buy a used SL55 AMG over an SL600 any day

The SL600 has a 12 cyl engine, as I recall the SL55 has an 8 cyl engine. The power curve with the 12 cyl engine is a whole lot different than on the 8 cyl engine.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a SL600 and have owned a recent 911, the SL corners and brakes quite well, the 911 is completely different due to its weight and balance. I haven't looked at the test numbers but the 911 braking might have been close, but the cornering of 911's is just beyond any comparison I could make, I guess the best that I have driven. But the question of which is better is academic because once a car has a particular level of performance, than any additional increment of performance, either power, breaking or cornering, becomes incrementally less relevant and other items such as comfort, convenience and reliability become more significant. The SL600 seems to me to possess a mix of these items that is optimum, at least for me. I also have a Ferrari 575 SA which I rarely drive, not because I don't like to drive it but more because I don't like to park it and I don't like the attention it gets. The SL600 is the best, overall, "sports car" that I have been exposed to.
The Ferrari and the MB are really GT cars in my estimation, and not hard-edged sports cars. To me, for the budget discussed here, the Porsche is more appealing, but, if you read my previous posts, you'll see that i don't like creature comforts to the extent they add weight. When I had a GT2, i had no idea why Porsche even bothered to include a sound system or CD storage trays- the car wasn't meant for that. Ditto on the Ferraris, much as I love the marque, driving the 5 series around a track was like trying to race a 60's station wagon- granted, it was fast, but far too heavy, soft and wallowy. (Owned two of them, among a bunch of others). I hate the fact that you can't even get a stick anymore in many of these cars. Color me old school.

rrr

May 17, 2010
The Ferrari and the MB are really GT cars in my estimation, and not hard-edged sports cars. To me, for the budget discussed here, the Porsche is more appealing, but, if you read my previous posts, you'll see that i don't like creature comforts to the extent they add weight. When I had a GT2, i had no idea why Porsche even bothered to include a sound system or CD storage trays- the car wasn't meant for that. Ditto on the Ferraris, much as I love the marque, driving the 5 series around a track was like trying to race a 60's station wagon- granted, it was fast, but far too heavy, soft and wallowy. (Owned two of them, among a bunch of others). I hate the fact that you can't even get a stick anymore in many of these cars. Color me old school.

Yes, they are GT cars and the Ferrari does not fall within this price category but was cited only for comparison. I don't agree with you regarding the handling of the 5 series, at least my 575SA, but then that particular model does have improved suspension and I have not driven any of the previous 5 series so I can't comment on the differences. The transmission in the 575SA is their F1 transmission which is a manual transmission that shifts either manually or automatically. When shifted manually it has the advantages of your "stick" transmission but the clutch is activated by the computer system. It can be set for "regular mode" or "sport mode" . "Sport Mode" is quite satisfactory and equivalent to any manual shifting that I might do in a conventional stick shift.

I guess the other car that I could recommend as an answer to the original question posed, would be a late model Porsche air cooled. I had a 1990 and it was great fun to drive!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The SL600 has a 12 cyl engine, as I recall the SL55 has an 8 cyl engine. The power curve with the 12 cyl engine is a whole lot different than on the 8 cyl engine.

the AMG is pretty darn fast and

rrr

May 17, 2010
the AMG is pretty darn fast and

I agree.

Without debating which is faster and without being argumentative regarding the 8 cyl SL's or the 12 cyl SL's, I have to say that the 12 cyl has a whole different feeling of instantly available torque and smoothness that is noticeably greater than the 8 cyl cars. I was surprised at the difference and it's the same with the Ferraris, I owned a 308 and later a 430 and both were real performers but the torque and smoothness available with the 12 cyl engines at practically any rpm level is substantially greater and provides a different driving experience.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I wonder what the members here think of the Audi R8 Spyder vs. Porsche 911 convertible at an approximate $90K price point.

The Audi definitely takes my breath away, but my wife thinks it's too showy...and since 911 is a coupe, we can bring the kids in the back seat...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
well, I cannot say much about the R8 other than it seems to be a fine vehicle from afar, but......last summer I did buy a 16' Porsche CS2 PDK, sports chrono, sports exhaust......

mine is a coupe not a convertible.....but everything should apply equally. my wife has issues with wind in her eyes so a convertible is not a choice for me. personally I love the look of the 911, particularly the CS2. $90k should do it for a low mileage 15' or 16' nicely equipped.

I wanted a fun weekend car that the wife and I could enjoy. I had considered the Cayman GT4 or other 2 seaters but......the CS2 with it's generous front truck and flexible rear seat is perfect for my wife to have real world usable space. we took two 4 day trips with it and it delivered on all my expectations. and it is so comfortable to sit in. The CS2 has all the 'go-fast' one could ask for......400hp, under 4 seconds 0-60, 190 mph. sure there is more performance out there, but unless you track it what can one do with it?

and the quality of a CS2 and the way everything is so sorted out and perfect is much appreciated. and while some like the bigger brutish heavier 2 seaters, personally I'm a 'less is more' sort of person.....who appreciates the more agile lighter approach.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I vote for the R8 -- so you can (so you have to) leave the kids at home!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I'm 'old school' .........

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 122

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I'm 'old school' .........

Im green w/ envy ? Its my favorite vette of all. Is it a 327, 396 or 427? My favorite color for the C2 is Nasau Blue, looks fantastic as well in red . Congrats

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing