Avalon Tesseract

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It can be done electronically in the XOs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, its one of the most important basic issues in my opinion , first of all , the energy used to set the housing in motion gets lost as signal energy , these vibrations will interfere also with the constant changing ,music signal and cause distortion .
First HPL (melaninepaper drenched in phenolic resin), second (high grade alloy) aluminium , i m not 100 % sure yet which is the most natural sounding material .
It also comes down on how the internal bracing is done , good results can also be achieved by combining HDF and MDF for example

just MDF is ...... so 80 s :D
I'm seeing this question alot around here , why is this so important ? Do you have a preference when it comes to materials Used ..?

Last edited:

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Yes, its one of the most important basic issues in my opinion , first of all , the energy used to set the housing in motion gets lost as signal energy , these vibrations will interfere also with the constant changing ,music signal and cause distortion .
First HPL (melaninepaper drenched in phenolic resin), second (high grade alloy) aluminium , i m not 100 % sure yet which is the most natural sounding material .
It also comes down on how the internal bracing is done , good results can also be achieved by combining HDF and MDF for example

just MDF is ...... so 80 s :D

I guess real wood is so viking ...... :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
You are aware there is no such thing as an Iso-baric Speaker, it's a KEF trademark , bandpass is the correct term, Just saying .... :)
After scrolling, it appears to be a compound loaded bass reflex and not a bandpass ,, so no Iso-baric..:)....

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011

Yes, that was the illustration I was talking about. I didn't want to post it because Avalon Acoustics asked to not post it until they were ready.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
If you read the specifications you would know that is not at all a problem with this speaker. It is fantasticly phase coherent.

Sorry, My science book would disagree.. :)

Physically with the head canting over and being non-adjustable I cant see how, at least WA makes theirs with some adjustment, getting them into focus somewhat and theirs are not time coherent...

OK different speaker but these aren't ...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/avalon-acoustics-indra-loudspeaker-measurements

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The picture or rendering of the Avalon Tesseract doesn't give a good impression of how it looks from other angles than straight from the front. I have seen an illustration from the side and it looks like a cross between Vivid Audio Gaya and Wilson"s bigger models MAXX, Alexandria and XLF. It does however have its distinctive look due to all the facettes from the Tesseract shape. It's a real work of art and maybe the most striking shape of any loudspeaker enclosure I have ever seen. I haven't seen it from behind, but I guess it must feature two 15" bass drivers on the back too since the specification indicated 4x 15" bass drivers and only two are mounted on the baffle and none on the sides.

With a 2500W internal bass amplifier and 4x15" bass drivers in each speaker, it should be a monster on par with the Evolution Acoustics MM7 but in a more compact package.

the 4 15" powered subs per side is similar to the MM7. however, the MM7 also has 4 woofers per side (verses 1 for the Tesseract) and 2 mids per side (verses 1 for the Tesseract), so in that way the MM7's are quite different.

i wonder how tough a load the Tesseract is with fewer woofers and mids? most Avalons have been somewhat tough loads for amps. you would think this Avalon could be an easier load.

i do hope that the Tesseract using 4 powered subs helps to set a trend toward powered integrated subs in 'uber' speakers as that will push 'uber' amp makers to focus more on refinement and less on brute strength. and i believe a true integrated powered sub is potentially the ultimate approach.

i've always considered Avalons to be the most beautiful speakers, really works of art. the Tesseract has an interesting shape which might or might not be organic looking in person. it's certainly striking looking.

i'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
i wonder how tough a load the Tesseract is with fewer woofers and mids? most Avalons have been somewhat tough loads for amps. you would think this Avalon could be an easier load.

i've always considered Avalons to be the most beautiful speakers, really works of art. the Tesseract has an interesting shape which might or might not be organic looking in person. it's certainly striking looking.

i'd love to hear it.

Mike - Avalons are not that tough of a load, I have had quite a few now and have powered them with very different amps, SS and tubed ones - sensitivity is not that great but impendence is quite flat at 6 ohms among the frequency band. I am actually using a pair of Ascents II with a 35 W/ch class A amp that plays great 85% or more of the music I hear.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
the 4 15" powered subs per side is similar to the MM7. however, the MM7 also has 4 woofers per side (verses 1 for the Tesseract) and 2 mids per side (verses 1 for the Tesseract), so in that way the MM7's are quite different.

i do hope that the Tesseract using 4 powered subs helps to set a trend toward powered integrated subs in 'uber' speakers as that will push 'uber' amp makers to focus more on refinement and less on brute strength. and i believe a true integrated powered sub is potentially the ultimate approach.

i'd love to hear it.

Sorry, Mike. I was not specific enough in my description. What I meant was that the powered 4x 15" pr. side was similar to the MM7. Otherwise they are indeed quite different.

According to the specifications the Tesseract has an efficiency of 92.5 db and a minimum impedanse of 4.6 Ohms.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree with mike , i got the impression also they in general needed a fairly powerfull amp, the eidolon diamond is 87 db
reading the specs of the indra model the imp drops to 2,5 ohms and stays between that and 3 ohms a great deal , the tesseract is different reading from specs
Coming back on the felt and what you hear , is hereby confirmed by the J atkinson Indra measurement , with the felt in place the out put drops a couple db , so they are definetively to be used with the grills on
This confirms the fact that in my opinion they adjusted the tweeter to hot and let the felt do the dampening of a couple db s , the felt did improve focus when i tried it

http://www.stereophile.com/content/avalon-acoustics-indra-loudspeaker-measurements

Mike - Avalons are not that tough of a load, I have had quite a few now and have powered them with very different amps, SS and tubed ones - sensitivity is not that great but impendence is quite flat at 6 ohms among the frequency band. I am actually using a pair of Ascents II with a 35 W/ch class A amp that plays great 85% or more of the music I hear.

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Sorry, My science book would disagree.. :)

Physically with the head canting over and being non-adjustable I cant see how, at least WA makes theirs with some adjustment, getting them into focus somewhat and theirs are not time coherent...

OK different speaker but these aren't ...

Isn't it a little early to make any claims based on what we know about this speaker yet? I mean do we know the head can't be adjusted or if the crossover somehow has a adjustments to compensate for this?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Isn't it a little early to make any claims based on what we know about this speaker yet? I mean do we know the head can't be adjusted or if the crossover somehow has a adjustments to compensate for this?

Now Roysen, you know there is a contingency here that makes determinations whether speakers/components will sound good by reading science theory books and measurement charts. Sadly, they forget the ear part....;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing