Avalon Tesseract

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
My initial reaction is very positive. This photo may only be a rendering. I like how they integrated the cabinets much better compared to the Sentinel. The angles and design appear very complex and unlike any other speaker. The Isis are physically imposing and stunning - I can only imagine what it would be like to see these in person. If it sounds half as good as it looks, we are in for a treat.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having seen a few illustrations which I am not at liberty to share just yet and that photo doesn't show how striking it is from the side. I find them really interesting. I have to audition these wonders. I just whish they could make a completelly passive version with an outboard active crossover instead of an internal bass amplifier.

You mean like the Arrakis II? I just got done speaking with Andy Payor this afternoon...what a gentleman. First class.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am a huge fan of Avalon designs and find them to be the most easthetically pleasing high end speaker around. However, to me these are off the mark. Appear to be Inspired by star wars or a batman movie, and I totally don't get the pointy top. Like two klansmen staring you in the face..... I'll have to pass on these one :).

To be fair, I find few if any very large speakers overly attractive looking, including my very own MM3's (giant telephone receiver) and Wilson (stack of boxes). Martin Logan statements in light wood are quite pretty though.

Arrakis? Genesis Dragon?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Agree LLoyd,

Both are great looking speakers and must admit to being a fan of the Avalon look, my issue is more technical and not only directed at Avalon, but the same for the other single high frequency driver SOTA systems (XLF,Q7, et al ) ..

What these guys are building is equivalent to placing a 502CI big block with a 40 MM TBI, all bottom end TQ, no top end BHP .. :)

When running a single driver point source system, your dynamic signature is limited to the dynamic output of this driver, so while all of these systems can be prodigious in the bass/midbass , they are prone to dynamic compression in the mid/high Frequency area , this is technically and subjectively obvious when compared to speakers with multi-pointsource or linesource drive units. ( genesis, NOLA, Analysis, et al ), so I'm suprised to still see these companies pursing SOTA status with a single point source driver...

Regards...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree LLoyd,

Both are great looking speakers and must admit to being a fan of the Avalon look, my issue is more technical and not only directed at Avalon, but the same for the other single high frequency driver SOTA systems (XLF,Q7, et al ) ..

What these guys are building is equivalent to placing a 502CI big block with a 40 MM TBI, all bottom end TQ, no top end BHP .. :)

When running a single driver point source system, your dynamic signature is limited to the dynamic output of this driver, so while all of these systems can be prodigious in the bass/midbass , they are prone to dynamic compression in the mid/high Frequency area , this is technically and subjectively obvious when compared to speakers with multi-pointsource or linesource drive units. ( genesis, NOLA, Analysis, et al ), so I'm suprised to still see these companies pursing SOTA status with a single point source driver...

Regards...

Interesting...i have not heard a multi-pointsource before (like Infinity or Genesis). Does a ribbon tweeter/mid count in terms of the sound characteristics?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Interesting...i have not heard a multi-pointsource before (like Infinity or Genesis). Does a ribbon tweeter/mid count in terms of the sound characteristics?

The genesis is a line-source (Gen1 ,jr) the Nola's for eg are multiple point source , decades ago we had developed a model with iso-diametric point source technology , to combat this issue .

Multipoint source gives you the imaging of a point source speaker with the Dynamic signature of a linesource. Remember you half the distortion everytime you double driver area...

With an linesource setup the distortion is even lower without lobing issues , Karl at Nola tackled this simply and effectively , by carefully spacing the drivers to lower the effect , simple and brilliant ..:)

Baffle design is another issue , but thats an even longer topic ....:)

Give a few linesources a listen if you are into choir ,Opera or any large scale musicals , the difference is immediate and apparent, unfortunately not many are paying attn to baffle design and this kills their imaging, (stay away from flat baffles ) but give them ago , it may or maynot be your cup of tea, after experiencing multi point source 30 years ago i never looked back ..

Regards,

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The picture or rendering of the Avalon Tesseract doesn't give a good impression of how it looks from other angles than straight from the front. I have seen an illustration from the side and it looks like a cross between Vivid Audio Gaya and Wilson"s bigger models MAXX, Alexandria and XLF. It does however have its distinctive look due to all the facettes from the Tesseract shape. It's a real work of art and maybe the most striking shape of any loudspeaker enclosure I have ever seen. I haven't seen it from behind, but I guess it must feature two 15" bass drivers on the back too since the specification indicated 4x 15" bass drivers and only two are mounted on the baffle and none on the sides.

With a 2500W internal bass amplifier and 4x15" bass drivers in each speaker, it should be a monster on par with the Evolution Acoustics MM7 but in a more compact package.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The genesis is a line-source (Gen1 ,jr) the Nola's for eg are multiple point source , decades ago we had developed a model with iso-diametric point source technology , to combat this issue .

Multipoint source gives you the imaging of a point source speaker with the Dynamic signature of a linesource. Remember you half the distortion everytime you double driver area...

With an linesource setup the distortion is even lower without lobing issues , Karl at Nola tackled this simply and effectively , by carefully spacing the drivers to lower the effect , simple and brilliant ..:)

Baffle design is another issue , but thats an even longer topic ....:)

Give a few linesources a listen if you are into choir ,Opera or any large scale musicals , the difference is immediate and apparent, unfortunately not many are paying attn to baffle design and this kills their imaging, (stay away from flat baffles ) but give them ago , it may or maynot be your cup of tea, after experiencing multi point source 30 years ago i never looked back ..

Regards,

thanks. What multipoint source speakers do you recommend in case i can hear one of them here? Is it challenging to have all the drivers properly integrated for the same frequencies, and then also crossed over to the next set of cones/drivers for the other frequencies?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shape inspired by Nicki Minaj? :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
The picture or rendering of the Avalon Tesseract doesn't give a good impression of how it looks from other angles than straight from the front. I have seen an illustration from the side and it looks like a cross between Vivid Audio Gaya and Wilson"s bigger models MAXX, Alexandria and XLF. It does however have its distinctive look due to all the facettes from the Tesseract shape. It's a real work of art and maybe the most striking shape of any loudspeaker enclosure I have ever seen. I haven't seen it from behind, but I guess it must feature two 15" bass drivers on the back too since the specification indicated 4x 15" bass drivers and only two are mounted on the baffle and none on the sides.

With a 2500W internal bass amplifier and 4x15" bass drivers in each speaker, it should be a monster on par with the Evolution Acoustics MM7 but in a more compact package.

Absolutely and with a single Ironman Tweeter .....:)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
thanks. What multipoint source speakers do you recommend in case i can hear one of them here? Is it challenging to have all the drivers properly integrated for the same frequencies, and then also crossed over to the next set of cones/drivers for the other frequencies?

Yes it is quite challenging vs single point source ...

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This new speaker surely deserve a visit back to Boulder, Co. - interested please PM me....

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I think visually one of the greatest master piece of art for music reproduction. hope that it reflects what it stands for music too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing