Grounding and Noise Floor

One time when we were hit by lightning, I had an entire system on about six feet away from where it hit. I rushed to my listening room and found it was whole and still on. Everything was plugged into an AC conditioner from a guy in California but whose name I don't recall. I think what happened was that I had had two dedicated lines put in from the master box that was on the other side of the house. The lightning had a quicker path to ground through the iron pipe to the water heater, but maybe the conditioning device helped.

I detach the system entirely from ac and grounds but maybe I really don't need to do so. However, why take a chance?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Unless it's a very close or direct strike the surge voltage will be limited to about 6kV according to SurgeX's research. The Zero Surge / SurgeX patented surge technology is completely transparent as well, I use this and in case of a direct strike I have insurance as unplugging everything every time a thunderstorm is near just isn't practical, in the summer we often have thunderstorms every afternoon.

Twice our house has been directly hit. One hit the water heater and wiped on the intercom, telephones, garage door opener, and blew a hole in the gas line to the water heater. The other wiped out a computer that was on a lightning barrier that failed to work.

We did live in Florida for eight years and never got hit by lightning. If it is lightning I am going to disconnect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing