Review of Sanders 10B

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's a bummer Roger dropped his analog crossover option. With the 10C any analog signal has to be converted to digital in the crossover then back to analog.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
never heard the 10b version , but i love my pair of 10c

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
It's a bummer Roger dropped his analog crossover option. With the 10C any analog signal has to be converted to digital in the crossover then back to analog.

Not sure why this is a problem if the result is vastly superior performance.

I found that replacing the analog crossovers on my MartinLogan Monoliths with an active crossover, and later a full digital speaker processor (DBX DriveRack 4800) to produce dramatic (both subjective and objective measured) improvements.
Even analog active crossovers, while much preferred over analog passive crossovers, are still pretty far behind what a good speaker processor can do. for instance panel to woofer delay is not possible, yet due to the variances in drivers and relative positioning, one typically needs delay to one element or the other to time-align the impulses.

Every time I've heard the 10B demo Sanders Sound Systems does, I'm quite impressed. So even the cheap crossover they use for the demos is up to the task. But I would bet that going to a DriveRack would yield even better results.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Technically, you can design an analog crossover to provide variable time delay, and I have done so, but it adds circuitry and still provides a tiny fraction of the capabiity of a typical DSP-based solution.

Curious, have you tried any of the lower-end DriveRack units, or did you go straight to the 4800?

On topic, I expect to hear from Rogers since I keep saying I need to drive up and visit but have not. Duh, was even off this week and could have gone up yesterday, rats! I have not heard them in ages and am anxious to do so again.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Not sure why this is a problem if the result is vastly superior performance.

I found that replacing the analog crossovers on my MartinLogan Monoliths with an active crossover, and later a full digital speaker processor (DBX DriveRack 4800) to produce dramatic (both subjective and objective measured) improvements.
Even analog active crossovers, while much preferred over analog passive crossovers, are still pretty far behind what a good speaker processor can do. for instance panel to woofer delay is not possible, yet due to the variances in drivers and relative positioning, one typically needs delay to one element or the other to time-align the impulses.

Every time I've heard the 10B demo Sanders Sound Systems does, I'm quite impressed. So even the cheap crossover they use for the demos is up to the task. But I would bet that going to a DriveRack would yield even better results.

If you like the results that's cool. The analog crossover was active and works quite well. I personally have not cared for any system that digitally corrects the whole frequency spectrum. Digitally eq'ing the bass is ok but I have heard degradation when applied to the rest of the spectrum. There may be something out there that would satisfy me but I have not heard it yet. At the last RMAF I wandered in to the Cabasse room. They played their flagship speaker that was fully digitally corrected and cost close to 200k. They also played a smaller speaker 17k that had no digital correction except for the sub they where using with it. Using the same digital source they switched between speakers several times. I much preferred the smaller speaker. They were much more natural sounding. Of course a better test would be to use the same speaker and switch between analog and digital processing. They didn't even reveal the specifics of the speakers until after I had decided the smaller speakers were better. So much for expectation bias.;) Other people that heard that demo may not agree with my assessment. YMMV.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
... Curious, have you tried any of the lower-end DriveRack units, or did you go straight to the 4800?

Yes, I started out with some DriveRack 260's back when they were the new 'hot stuff', and they were very good. I still recommend them. However, the 4800 is a step ahead in terms of sonics and leaps ahead in terms of flexibility. I really love that unit, it's spendy at $5K, but worth it, since I use all 4 in and 8 out on it (it handles L/C/R + Sub).

On topic, I expect to hear from Rogers since I keep saying I need to drive up and visit but have not. Duh, was even off this week and could have gone up yesterday, rats! I have not heard them in ages and am anxious to do so again.

Man, that would be amazing, not only to hear the 10's but to get to chat with Roger. I have a bevy of his amps on my wish list, so maybe when I give him a $50K check, I can go visit him and get personalized demos :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks for the info on the DriveRacks. On sale now at Sweetwater, only $3999.

Roger is glad to give personal demos, just have to schedule it and get there. It's only an hour or two drive away for me. I do not know him but met him a few times in the primordial past; he would not remember me. I hope. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing