stereo cartridge with mono LPs

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
im starting to acquire more mono reissues on LP. I dont have a dedicated mono set-up (cartridge and preamp facilities). i'm interested in observations from those that have heard the recent BN mono reissues for example, with both mono and stereo cartridges. I understand the technical issues but are you missing much in SQ if using a stereo cartridge to play a mono LP?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Rob,

The better the system, the more you will hear the difference between a dedicated mono set up versus a stereo cartridge with a mono button on the preamp. As examples, the MusicMatters mono reissues of Paul Chambers' "Whims of Chambers", Louis Smith's "Smithville" and Kenny Dorham's "Afro-Cuban" all sound terrific with a Benz LPS stereo cartridge but are taken to a different level played with my Miyajima Premium BE. Since I purchased the Miyajima, I probably buy equal numbers of mono and stereo jazz pressings. With few exceptions, I prefer the sound of the monos. I recently picked up a minty first pressing of "Kind of Blue" and it was truly like experiencing this warhorse for the first time.

Feel free to PM

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Rob,

The better the system, the more you will hear the difference between a dedicated mono set up versus a stereo cartridge with a mono button on the preamp. As examples, the MusicMatters mono reissues of Paul Chambers' "Whims of Chambers", Louis Smith's "Smithville" and Kenny Dorham's "Afro-Cuban" all sound terrific with a Benz LPS stereo cartridge but are taken to a different level played with my Miyajima Premium BE. Since I purchased the Miyajima, I probably buy equal numbers of mono and stereo jazz pressings. With few exceptions, I prefer the sound of the monos. I recently picked up a minty first pressing of "Kind of Blue" and it was truly like experiencing this warhorse for the first time.

Feel free to PM

+1

you need a mono cartridge. with the best mono pressings on a mono cartridge you won't be aware that they are mono unless someone tells you. very direct and unfiltered sound. and your brain relaxes with the mono signal in same ways. maybe it's not doing as much processing.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks guys. What are your favorite mono cartridges up to $1k?

i'll have to keep an eye out for a used JMW 10" arm wand, i have the older obsolete version no longer produced. ill also need a kosher way to sum the channels between the phono pre amp and line stage.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks guys. What are your favorite mono cartridges up to $1k?

i'll have to keep an eye out for a used JMW 10" arm wand, i have the older obsolete version no longer produced. ill also need a kosher way to sum the channels between the phono pre amp and line stage.

like Jazdoc i use the Miyajima Mono Premium Be and love it. it's $1200 retail. beats my $8600 Ortofon MC Anna (mounted on the Durand Telos) on most mono pressings.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Miyajima is now just a smidge over $1k retail but this is high end audio so there is always room to haggle! The Miyajima is a pretty hefty cartridge so it's worth checking compatibility with whatever arm you are contemplating pairing it with.

I don't really have much experience with other mono cartridges but would love to compare with a Ortofon SPU , Benz ACE, and Lyra Dorian monos. The Denon 102 would be a relatively inexpensive entry into a mono cartridge and would free up more funds for more mono records!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing