Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balanced XLR cables/Long Run/Audiophile Grade - but not priced as such

Welcome to the forum tiff_needle
    Joe

Conrad Johnson GAT & ART monos, CJ ARTsa , Line Magnetic LM-219IA, McIntosh MC225, Two McIntosh MC275-VI's as monos, Hegel H30, Pass Labs XA60.5's, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Harbeth 40.1, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap 2 PS, Carver VTA20S, Lumin A1, Manley Steelhead, Marantz SA-11S3, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Nordost TYR2 and Transparent Audio Super, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum tiff_needle
    Thank You!

Sorry.... forgot completely to introduce myself.

As already said on the Mytek thread, I've been reading this forum for quite some time now but hadn't ever participated.

Congratulations for this great forum. It's been a ride reading it.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Wow, I truly appreciate all the replies and info about my cabling options. Based on what I read here I am going to give the Mogami Gold a try.

As I sit here thinking about it more I guess I will never know if the cable I get is any better/worse or a wash compared to what I use today since I am moving my speakers at the same time. I think I can live with that mystery as I expect the benefits gained by moving my speakers to a more ideal location in the room will far outweigh any losses, if any, I may suffer from the cable swap.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Late to the game however I would support the Mogami. You can purchase bulk cable and build it yourself with the excellent Cardas XLR connectors. Redco.com sells the cables by the foot. You can look up the capacitance and inductance, all very low. Bulk only comes with the Console cable which has the 22 AWG for longer runs.

Posting a final followup on my experience with the Canare L-4E6S now that they have been in my system for a while. I gotta say that I am totally happy with these cables and have not missed the much more expensive, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% pure silver, shorter balanced cables they replaced. As I think back on the money spent on the other cables I'm kinda pissed at myself now. Live and learn I guess!

Because of my luck with these budget cables I have decided to revisit other areas of my system cabling that are currently occupied with exotic cable types. I am going to start with my speaker cables next and have already placed an order for a set of Mogami 3104 Deluxe cables offered by Takefiveaudio.com to see how they fare in a head to head comparison of my current brand.

Thanks again for everyone's advise on trying these less expensive options as it has been an eye opening experience to say the least.

I tried the Mogami xlr cable recommend here. It is very good. I preferred it to the much more expensive Harmonic tech Magic interconnect.

It did not sound better than my Nordost Tyr ic, unfortunately and that is rca.

Bottom line the Mogami is an absolute bargain.
    Last edited by XV-1; 01-28-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: did not sound better

Has anyone tried the Mogami up against the vovox?
    On gearslutz several users have claimed superiority of the vovox over the Mogami...

On of these days I'm buying a pair of Mogami XLR just to A/B it against my vovox s link and vovox sonorus.

WBF Technical Expert (Pro Audio Production)/Member Sponsor Bruce B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiff_needle View Post
    On gearslutz several users have claimed superiority of the vovox over the Mogami...
    But over at Gearslutz, all cables sound the same (except for the "Zobel Networks" that DC and others like to bash).
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Hi I'm a new member first post.

I use Mogami snake cable with Neutrik black/gold XLR connectors from my processor to my amps. It's a custom made 16 ft long 7 channel snake cable.

I absolutely love this cable and I am a big fan of Mogami cable, I have also made my own speaker cables with Mogami 2921 quad cable which I love as well. I highly recommend Mogami wire and feel it is the best I've used both in wire and sound quality.

Here is a pic of Mogami snake cable (this one's not mine but it's very similar)

Also here is a pic of my speaker cables I made, this is before the bananas were installed. I used GLS locking bananas (bi-wired).

Quote Originally Posted by audioarcher View Post
    I've never tried the Mogami. Certainly cost effective and your not out much if you don't like them.
    Back in the day, canare quad was considered to be quite the bargain. I've no idea if that has changed much. Now, who made or makes the canare?

Oh yes, Belkin took a shot at high end cables. They made some very nice speaker cable that was all PCOCC in construction, for ridiculously low prices. 5 9's or better copper, that was PCOCC= 'Perfect crystal ohno continuous Cast' copper, which is as good as it gets, for copper.

It never caught on, so they got out of the market. Lots of it ended up on ebay at ridiculous prices.
    Teo Audio

Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Posting a final followup on my experience with the Canare L-4E6S now that they have been in my system for a while. I gotta say that I am totally happy with these cables and have not missed the much more expensive, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% pure silver, shorter balanced cables they replaced. As I think back on the money spent on the other cables I'm kinda pissed at myself now. Live and learn I guess!

Because of my luck with these budget cables I have decided to revisit other areas of my system cabling that are currently occupied with exotic cable types. I am going to start with my speaker cables next and have already placed an order for a set of Mogami 3104 Deluxe cables offered by Takefiveaudio.com to see how they fare in a head to head comparison of my current brand.

Thanks again for everyone's advise on trying these less expensive options as it has been an eye opening experience to say the least.
    Would you be willing to test the Speaker cable I have which uses Mogami coax cables, Cardas billet Spades Rhodium plated and cold welding? Instead of the 4 wire, it is 14 AWG co-ax, dual runs that is the equivalent of 11 AWG. Using dual runs will double the capacitance and 1/2 the inductance plus some other effects of the dual runs. Having lower inductance should theoretically improve the bass while the higher capacitance will roll off the highs but that roll off point is dependent on the system amp and speaker impedance and should be well above the 20 khz. I have ESL's so the lower inductance really helps and it will be good to see it on other speakers, especially since you are doing the comparisons right now. If interested send me a PM.
    Merrill Wettasinghe
    Chief Music Officer, Merrill Audio Advanced Technology Labs, LLC
    www.MerrillAudio.net

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast