Balanced XLR cables/Long Run/Audiophile Grade - but not priced as such

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Wow, I truly appreciate all the replies and info about my cabling options. Based on what I read here I am going to give the Mogami Gold a try.

As I sit here thinking about it more I guess I will never know if the cable I get is any better/worse or a wash compared to what I use today since I am moving my speakers at the same time. I think I can live with that mystery as I expect the benefits gained by moving my speakers to a more ideal location in the room will far outweigh any losses, if any, I may suffer from the cable swap.

Thanks again for all your help.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Moving your speakers to a better place in the room will out perform any change in cables you could make.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have used mogami and canare in both applications and i lean towards the canare because the materials seem to be of slightly higher quality (both japanese made), soundwise they're interchangable.

i recently rewired my entire system with canare L-4E6S and 4S11. i buy it in bulk and terminate it myself. i have a 20 ft run of L-4E6s btween my phono set-up and main system, it displaced cardas neutral i was using and the canare restored some of the highs that were rolled off and the bass now seems better integrated. i solld off the rest of my cardas clear light and various nordost and kimber IC/Speaker cables and havent looked back.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have used mogami and canare in both applications and i lean towards the canare because the materials seem to be of slightly higher quality (both japanese made), soundwise they're interchangable.

i recently rewired my entire system with canare L-4E6S and 4S11. i buy it in bulk and terminate it myself. i have a 20 ft run of L-4E6s btween my phono set-up and main system, it displaced cardas neutral i was using and the canare restored some of the highs that were rolled off and the bass now seems better integrated. i solld off the rest of my cardas clear light and various nordost and kimber IC/Speaker cables and havent looked back.

Just to remember that this is evidence of the effect of cables in sound quality - a change of cables (in this case for less expensive) improved the perceived sound quality. We can ask why the former cables degraded the sound quality. And according to your report the differences were significant.

michael chafee

Nov 29, 2012
I have had good luck with Gotham Audio GAC2, very low capacitance, originally designed for Neuman microphones. Buy from Redco.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Posting a follow-up here. I decided to give the Canare L-4E6S a try. Things are sounding pretty good thus far. Not sure how much, if any break in they require. I picked them up at Redco and used the custom build wizard on there to have the best Neutrik ends placed on them. What a cool concept Redco has allowing users to configure their own cables.

Thanks

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Redco is awesome. They will do anything in their power to make you what you want cable-wise.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I use three meter Mogami XLR interconnects from my preamp to my amps. All of my other interconnects were Mogami, except for my tonearm cable. Over the last month, I have been auditioning a twenty year old Audioquest silver interconnect between the DAC and the preamp and noticed improvements. What is amazing to me, is that this improvement was heard even though I didn't change the Mogami preamp to amp interconnect. My Mogami interconnects came from "The Market" at "10 Audio" and I think they are extremely good interconnects; especially for the money. Here's the link to The Market...http://www.10audio.com/market.htm

tiff_needle

May 10, 2012
Never tried Mogami but I've consider it in the past.

I've decided to go with Vovox S Link a a few months later, I liked the vovox cable so much that I went for the Vovox Sonorus model.

I really would like to make an A/B comparison between my vovox sonorus and let's say Kimber Select or Nordost... That is an experience that I've never done but I'm very curious on whta would be the results.

Heck, if Brauner microphones use them I thought it would be worth the shot. And Yes, I'm satisfied.

I do believe that your speaker placement will do far more difference than any cable that you might use in that price range.

I'm also far more believer on speaker cabling making a difference than balanced interconnect... Just my 2c.

tiff_needle

May 10, 2012
Welcome to the forum tiff_needle

Thank You!

Sorry.... forgot completely to introduce myself.

As already said on the Mytek thread, I've been reading this forum for quite some time now but hadn't ever participated.

Congratulations for this great forum. It's been a ride reading it.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

merrillaudio

Wow, I truly appreciate all the replies and info about my cabling options. Based on what I read here I am going to give the Mogami Gold a try.

As I sit here thinking about it more I guess I will never know if the cable I get is any better/worse or a wash compared to what I use today since I am moving my speakers at the same time. I think I can live with that mystery as I expect the benefits gained by moving my speakers to a more ideal location in the room will far outweigh any losses, if any, I may suffer from the cable swap.

Thanks again for all your help.

Late to the game however I would support the Mogami. You can purchase bulk cable and build it yourself with the excellent Cardas XLR connectors. Redco.com sells the cables by the foot. You can look up the capacitance and inductance, all very low. Bulk only comes with the Console cable which has the 22 AWG for longer runs.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Posting a final followup on my experience with the Canare L-4E6S now that they have been in my system for a while. I gotta say that I am totally happy with these cables and have not missed the much more expensive, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% pure silver, shorter balanced cables they replaced. As I think back on the money spent on the other cables I'm kinda pissed at myself now. Live and learn I guess!

Because of my luck with these budget cables I have decided to revisit other areas of my system cabling that are currently occupied with exotic cable types. I am going to start with my speaker cables next and have already placed an order for a set of Mogami 3104 Deluxe cables offered by Takefiveaudio.com to see how they fare in a head to head comparison of my current brand.

Thanks again for everyone's advise on trying these less expensive options as it has been an eye opening experience to say the least.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I tried the Mogami xlr cable recommend here. It is very good. I preferred it to the much more expensive Harmonic tech Magic interconnect.

It did not sound better than my Nordost Tyr ic, unfortunately and that is rca.

Bottom line the Mogami is an absolute bargain.

Last edited:

tiff_needle

May 10, 2012
Has anyone tried the Mogami up against the vovox?
On gearslutz several users have claimed superiority of the vovox over the Mogami...

On of these days I'm buying a pair of Mogami XLR just to A/B it against my vovox s link and vovox sonorus.

Rich_Guy

Jan 27, 2013
Hi I'm a new member first post.

I use Mogami snake cable with Neutrik black/gold XLR connectors from my processor to my amps. It's a custom made 16 ft long 7 channel snake cable.

I absolutely love this cable and I am a big fan of Mogami cable, I have also made my own speaker cables with Mogami 2921 quad cable which I love as well. I highly recommend Mogami wire and feel it is the best I've used both in wire and sound quality.

Here is a pic of Mogami snake cable (this one's not mine but it's very similar)

Also here is a pic of my speaker cables I made, this is before the bananas were installed. I used GLS locking bananas (bi-wired).

KBK

Jan 3, 2013
I've never tried the Mogami. Certainly cost effective and your not out much if you don't like them.

Back in the day, canare quad was considered to be quite the bargain. I've no idea if that has changed much. Now, who made or makes the canare?

Oh yes, Belkin took a shot at high end cables. They made some very nice speaker cable that was all PCOCC in construction, for ridiculously low prices. 5 9's or better copper, that was PCOCC= 'Perfect crystal ohno continuous Cast' copper, which is as good as it gets, for copper.

It never caught on, so they got out of the market. Lots of it ended up on ebay at ridiculous prices.

merrillaudio

Posting a final followup on my experience with the Canare L-4E6S now that they have been in my system for a while. I gotta say that I am totally happy with these cables and have not missed the much more expensive, 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% pure silver, shorter balanced cables they replaced. As I think back on the money spent on the other cables I'm kinda pissed at myself now. Live and learn I guess!

Because of my luck with these budget cables I have decided to revisit other areas of my system cabling that are currently occupied with exotic cable types. I am going to start with my speaker cables next and have already placed an order for a set of Mogami 3104 Deluxe cables offered by Takefiveaudio.com to see how they fare in a head to head comparison of my current brand.

Thanks again for everyone's advise on trying these less expensive options as it has been an eye opening experience to say the least.

Would you be willing to test the Speaker cable I have which uses Mogami coax cables, Cardas billet Spades Rhodium plated and cold welding? Instead of the 4 wire, it is 14 AWG co-ax, dual runs that is the equivalent of 11 AWG. Using dual runs will double the capacitance and 1/2 the inductance plus some other effects of the dual runs. Having lower inductance should theoretically improve the bass while the higher capacitance will roll off the highs but that roll off point is dependent on the system amp and speaker impedance and should be well above the 20 khz. I have ESL's so the lower inductance really helps and it will be good to see it on other speakers, especially since you are doing the comparisons right now. If interested send me a PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing