New SOTA Table fro mBergman

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, looks beautiful and well engineered. Lack of a cueing lever scares me enough to pass this baby over though. Seems they got everything right except including a part that would cost as much as a hotdog.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, looks beautiful and well engineered. Lack of a cueing lever scares me enough to pass this baby over though. Seems they got everything right except including a part that would cost as much as a hotdog.

The knurled back knob on the side of the arm turns and lifts/lowers the arm onto the record.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

Have you heard the Bergman in a situation where you could determine performance? I assume it's another belt drive?

No I haven't.

I assume like it's smaller brother, it's a belt driven, DC motor drive.

And I think there's been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of dd, belt drim, idler or rim drives. Belts definitely have a sound just like a sprung suspension table. And of course, would like to hear how well it maintains speed stability given it's a DC motor.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The knurled back knob on the side of the arm turns and lifts/lowers the arm onto the record.

I know Myles, that's the problem. I'd rather have something I could control in a linear rather than rotational way. I guess you could get used to a knob but I much prefer levers so I can easily guide the stylus down. I use many carts with long cantilevers. That knob scares me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know Myles, that's the problem. I'd rather have something I could control in a linear rather than rotational way. I guess you could get used to a knob but I much prefer levers so I can easily guide the stylus down. I use many carts with long cantilevers. That knob scares me.

Oh OK thought you were referring to the arm lacking any cuing mechanism :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Got one of those on (Bergmann Sleipnir) here at home, on loan from the importer. Set up by Johnny Bergmann himself, after visiting the local hi-end show :D
All I can say so far this is by far the nicest all around turntable I've seen. Fit and finish is superb.
JackD, it's funny but that was my first impression as well! Scared shitless of dropping the needle/cantilever on the record via that knob there... But after a while it gets natural, as the action is pretty smooth. It's actually far trickier to slide the tonearm into position...
So far so good... I've got it set up with an Ortofon A90, will try the Benz LP-S later.
Anyone else tried this one and got some tips?

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Got one of those on (Bergmann Sleipnir) here at home, on loan from the importer. Set up by Johnny Bergmann himself, after visiting the local hi-end show :D
All I can say so far this is by far the nicest all around turntable I've seen. Fit and finish is superb.
JackD, it's funny but that was my first impression as well! Scared shitless of dropping the needle/cantilever on the record via that knob there... But after a while it gets natural, as the action is pretty smooth. It's actually far trickier to slide the tonearm into position...
So far so good... I've got it set up with an Ortofon A90, will try the Benz LP-S later.
Anyone else tried this one and got some tips?

alexandre

My Forsell has a similar tonearm and I am getting excellent results with a van dan Hul Black Beauty XP.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing