High Resolution Music Downloads from MARecordings

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
GARY, Thank you very much for being so gracious and enabling us to download these files.

These are my first Hi-Rez downloaded files.

In the past, if anyone told me I would ever have a computer as part of my stereo, I would have told them they are out of their mind. I have to see if I need anything in particular to play these files, or if I can just plug the computer into the DAC portion of my SACD-CD player.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
GARY, Thank you very much for being so gracious and enabling us to download these files.

In the past, if anyone told me I would ever have a computer as part of my stereo, I would have told them they are out of their mind. I have to see if I need anything in particular to play these files, or if I can just plug the computer into the DAC portion of my SACD-CD player.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your interest in the Hi Rez files from MA Recordings. From what I can tell, as you have a digital inputs on your MCD500, you should be able to access the DAC section from your computer with either your optical connection, or perhaps your RCA input, but not many computers have digital outputs on RCA connectors, unless you have a sound card that has that option. I have never seen an out of the box computer with that so your best bet would be to get a USB to SPDIF converter of which there are many. I suspect that someone on the forum will be able to suggest one to you. My Italian Friend Marco Manunta makes something called the M2tech Just look for the Hiface line of products. This is only one choice of many out there, Marco makes a good product and I am sure you can get your hands on one easily... Once you have organized, you should be able to access the DAC on your Macintosh MCD500....... if there are no snags, but unfortunately, in computer audio this is always a possibility.

In any case, it looks like you need some kind of interface to access the DAC on your SACD player, but even when you do so, it looks like you will be limited to 96kHz playback....

Ultimately, I think your best bet will be to have a dedicated laptop/server with USB DAC. You can get there for around $1000 with little effort, I believe anyway. Whether or not it will satisfy you, is another story. You can also get your hands on the OPPO BDP-95 universal player for $1000 and that will play anything you can imagine........ including files on a flash drive, or outboard HDD, etc, etc, etc.

Sonically Yours
todd
ma

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Hi Mr. Todd Garfinkle, it's nice to see you here posting. :b

These high res DSD music files I suppose they are stereo?
What about multichannel?

Regards,
Bob

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

---- Hi Gary,

Now is the time and place to ask Bruce or Todd about how you can get SACD copies (legally).
...For your own PERSONAL use. ...Backup copies.

There was a thread before regarding the Sony PS3's first original machines, that with the right serial number firmware, and combined with a music software program on a PC (SACD/DSD files), you'd be able to make and store your own 'SACDs' (DSD high res audio files), and even multichannel ones.

Now, I'm not sure if this still works. ...Or if it has been disallowed.
One thing is for sure though; Bruce knows best.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you Todd, you have been very helpful.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
---- Now, I'm not sure if this still works. ...Or if it has been disallowed.
One thing is for sure though; Bruce knows best.

This still "sorta" works. No police are coming to get you, unless you try to sell the files on eBay!
You can rip stereo and MCH files from SACD's all day long.

There are several sites that already have DSD downloads... some are free.

You can read David's article in PFO for more information.

There has been talk amongst industry insiders on a way to get these files legally.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Dear Gary,

Thank you for your interest in the Hi Rez files from MA Recordings. From what I can tell, as you have a digital inputs on your MCD500, you should be able to access the DAC section from your computer with either your optical connection, or perhaps your RCA input, but not many computers have digital outputs on RCA connectors, unless you have a sound card that has that option. I have never seen an out of the box computer with that so your best bet would be to get a USB to SPDIF converter of which there are many. I suspect that someone on the forum will be able to suggest one to you. My Italian Friend Marco Manunta makes something called the M2tech Just look for the Hiface line of products. This is only one choice of many out there, Marco makes a good product and I am sure you can get your hands on one easily... Once you have organized, you should be able to access the DAC on your Macintosh MCD500....... if there are no snags, but unfortunately, in computer audio this is always a possibility.

In any case, it looks like you need some kind of interface to access the DAC on your SACD player, but even when you do so, it looks like you will be limited to 96kHz playback....

Ultimately, I think your best bet will be to have a dedicated laptop/server with USB DAC. You can get there for around $1000 with little effort, I believe anyway. Whether or not it will satisfy you, is another story.
You can also get your hands on the OPPO BDP-95 universal player for $1000 and that will play anything you can imagine........ including files on a flash drive, or outboard HDD, etc, etc, etc.

Sonically Yours
todd
ma

---- Excellent choice Todd, on the Oppo BDP-95.

And may I add now its newer brother, the Oppo BDP-105. ...For just two hundred bucks more. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This still "sorta" works. No police are coming to get you, unless you try to sell the files on eBay!
You can rip stereo and MCH files from SACD's all day long.

There are several sites that already have DSD downloads... some are free.

You can read David's article in PFO for more information.

There has been talk amongst industry insiders on a way to get these files legally.

---- Thx a bunch Bruce for your quick reply.

I knew I wasn't dreaming as I read that thread before. By the way, do you have that link?
...And Gary (Protein) can have a look for himself; as he asked me for more details on that subject (SACD copies) previously.

And I also knew that the P.O.L.I.C.E. won't come knocking at your door, as the LAW is very clear in people's interpretation if you are on the right side of that law indeed (PERSONAL USE).

* At another site (I won't name it), there was an individual who saw the wrong side of my post (the wrong side of the law), and without seeing the flip side of the coin, rather fastly accused me of encouraging an illegal activity.
Furthermore my post was deleted! ...No big deal, but still not very friendly. \

Nice to have lawyers in a forum, but there are always two sides of the law, plus various attachments.
And the laws vary quite a bit from one country (heck even from a state, province) to the next.
Sometimes they can be totally different; like cannabis/marijuana legality for example.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Todd. First welcome to the forum and thanks again for this generous offer.

I am familiar with Audiogate so as you say, the issue is lack of DSD DAC. I am a complete PCM shop :). What is your experience as you convert DSD to PCM? What do you detect happens in that conversion? And back?

Dear Amir

My experience with 5.6 MHz DSD is that it has allowed me to record the most vivid recordings to date. 5.6 MHz DSD seems more open than Hi Rez PCM, but as I do not "split the signal" when I record, as in recording one signal in two separate formats, I have nothing to compare my 5.6 MHz masters to.

I am soon going to put out DSD files of an analog recording I did in Japan of a piano performance of J. S. Bach's Goldberg Variations. Since the original is analog tape, I did both 176.4 PCM and 5.6 MHz DSD versions. My feeling in this case, is that, there seems to be less difference (if any) between the two, but I think that is because of the limits of the analog tape, (if you can believe that....)

Basically 176.4 kHz recording should, in theory, result in a frequency response of around 80kHz. Analog tape never got that high;
5.6 MHz DSD has the potential for an even higher F-response.

NOW, going from 5.6 Mhz to 176.4 kHz (basically downsampling) for editing and CD release production, is a necessary evil. I am not able to record at 352.8 kHz or 384 kHz, but I believe that sonically, those sampling rates would be the PCM equivalents of 5.6 Mhz (if that makes any sense). Now that people are able to experience 5.6 MHz DSD on their systems, I am happy to be able to make my DSD files available.

In the past, I put out an SACD sampler called MAonSA and all the sources were originally PCM. There has been much interest in this disc since I put it out, probably for a number of reasons. Everything was converted with very Hi End PRO DCS gear and with a specially custom made 25 pin D-sub connector that Crystal Cable made for the project. Of other interest is the fact that I put different music on the CD layer so this disc is actually more than 3 hours long, if you can play both layers, of course!

As far as going back to DSD from PCM after editing....... I would say that "on the fly" is not the way to do it, but one should first convert to a new file and then audition the results. Ultimately, in my opinion, any type of conversion, is an alteration of the original, so there is obviously a chance of things changing... There are other variables such as the quality of your HDD or computer's interface as well as the speed of its processor.

I wonder if this gibberish helps....

Sonically Yours.......

todd
ma

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Bob

Sorry, stereo only... I have never been interested in Multi-channel, at least for my own work. I work on location, for the most and just monitor with a pair of Stax earspeakers. I am 1000% satisfied with this approach.

Thanks again for asking!

Sonically Yours
todd
ma

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Dear Bob

Sorry, stereo only... I have never been interested in Multi-channel, at least for my own work. I work on location, for the most and just monitor with a pair of Stax earspeakers. I am 1000% satisfied with this approach.

Thanks again for asking!

Sonically Yours
todd
ma

Todd,

Are you going to sell your recordings in downloadable DSD and High Rez formats? I have a DSD capable DAC but not an SACD player but would love to purchase your DSD files.

Thanks

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Todd,

Are you going to sell your recordings in downloadable DSD and High Rez formats? I have a DSD capable DAC but not an SACD player but would love to purchase your DSD files.

Thanks

Dear Bob

Thanks again for your interest!

I am hoping to start DSD downloads by the end of this month, if there are no unforeseen issues, but there always are, of course........

What DSD capable DAC do you have and up to now, what if any DSD files have you been able to audition on your system?

Sonically Yours!
todd
ma

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
What kind of mics are those in the video, Gary?

Tim

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
What kind of mics are those in the video, Gary?

Tim

Good Morning Phelonious,

Please allow to me reply regarding my microphones.

Here is a fairly detailed description of the microphones from the MAonSA page on the MA Recordings site:

The microphones, designed and hand constructed by Japanese audiophile and designer Junichi Yonetani, are unique to MA Recordings. Mr. Yonetani has been, over the years, a very enthusiastic supporter of MA, for which I thank him dearly.

The microphones are DC powered, running on four 9 volt batteries. Differentiating them from the common, low level, phantom power variety of microphone, they are line level. Traditional low level microphone cables are done away with completely as they are no longer necessary. The outputs of the MA microphones are fed directly to the recording device, or Analog to Digital converter, in the case of digital recording.

Of utmost importance are the diaphragms utilized to capture sound waves. The MA microphones feature the same diaphragms used in the famous DPA 4003 and DPA 4006 series microphones from Denmark. (www.dpamicrophones.com)

The body of each MA microphone was machined from a solid piece of brass, then plated with rhodium. Each microphone weighs 701 grams with the standard DPA silver grid. The microphones in the photo are shown with the DPA "Nose Cone" which may be used in place of the silver grid to render the microphones slightly more omnidirectional in character than with the silver grid.

Being as heavy as they are, the MA microphones require custom made holders, made from steel pipe. In order to make fine adjustments in positioning, the holders are fastened onto miniature balljoints designed for professional photography. The ball joints are in turn, placed on an aluminum "stereo bar" which is supported by a professional tripod designed for still photography.

Sonically Yours

todd
ma

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dear Amir

My experience with 5.6 MHz DSD is that it has allowed me to record the most vivid recordings to date. 5.6 MHz DSD seems more open than Hi Rez PCM, but as I do not "split the signal" when I record, as in recording one signal in two separate formats, I have nothing to compare my 5.6 MHz masters to.

I am soon going to put out DSD files of an analog recording I did in Japan of a piano performance of J. S. Bach's Goldberg Variations. Since the original is analog tape, I did both 176.4 PCM and 5.6 MHz DSD versions. My feeling in this case, is that, there seems to be less difference (if any) between the two, but I think that is because of the limits of the analog tape, (if you can believe that....)

Basically 176.4 kHz recording should, in theory, result in a frequency response of around 80kHz. Analog tape never got that high;
5.6 MHz DSD has the potential for an even higher F-response.

NOW, going from 5.6 Mhz to 176.4 kHz (basically downsampling) for editing and CD release production, is a necessary evil. I am not able to record at 352.8 kHz or 384 kHz, but I believe that sonically, those sampling rates would be the PCM equivalents of 5.6 Mhz (if that makes any sense). Now that people are able to experience 5.6 MHz DSD on their systems, I am happy to be able to make my DSD files available.

In the past, I put out an SACD sampler called MAonSA and all the sources were originally PCM. There has been much interest in this disc since I put it out, probably for a number of reasons. Everything was converted with very Hi End PRO DCS gear and with a specially custom made 25 pin D-sub connector that Crystal Cable made for the project. Of other interest is the fact that I put different music on the CD layer so this disc is actually more than 3 hours long, if you can play both layers, of course!

As far as going back to DSD from PCM after editing....... I would say that "on the fly" is not the way to do it, but one should first convert to a new file and then audition the results. Ultimately, in my opinion, any type of conversion, is an alteration of the original, so there is obviously a chance of things changing... There are other variables such as the quality of your HDD or computer's interface as well as the speed of its processor.

I wonder if this gibberish helps....

Sonically Yours.......

todd
ma
Thanks a lot for the detailed response Todd. When SACD and DVD-A formats came out I hit on a paradox which to this day I have not been able to explain. The scenario was that I bought "identical" titles from David Chesky that were available on SACD and DVD-A (24/96 I believe). I did a blind comparison and I could always establish a preference for SACD. I later went to AES conference and David was on a QA panel on these formats (hot topic then). So I asked him the original format that he used to edit and master the content. To my surprise he said PCM! I was surprised that giving me the native PCM output was not as good as the converted version he had achieved with SACD. From what I recall as in your case, he had used DSD as his master but since he could not edit in that domain, he had converted to PCM.

Of course it is possible that the quality of the DACs is what was at play even though I compared three separate DVD-A players and all lost to the Sony SACD player I had. I did test another SACD player and it did not perform as well so maybe this was the deciding factor.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks a lot for the detailed response Todd. When SACD and DVD-A formats came out I hit on a paradox which to this day I have not been able to explain. The scenario was that I bought "identical" titles from David Chesky that were available on SACD and DVD-A (24/96 I believe). I did a blind comparison and I could always establish a preference for SACD. I later went to AES conference and David was on a QA panel on these formats (hot topic then). So I asked him the original format that he used to edit and master the content. To my surprise he said PCM! I was surprised that giving me the native PCM output was not as good as the converted version he had achieved with SACD. From what I recall as in your case, he had used DSD as his master but since he could not edit in that domain, he had converted to PCM.

Of course it is possible that the quality of the DACs is what was at play even though I compared three separate DVD-A players and all lost to the Sony SACD player I had. I did test another SACD player and it did not perform as well so maybe this was the deciding factor.

Dear Amir

For the most part, unless one has access to a SONOMA DAW or other quite expensive system, editing is not very feasible in DSD. The costs are remarkably high, requiring close to 20K if not more. Therefore, for most people out there, PCM conversion is going to be the norm.

As for your preference for the SACD version of David's recording, I would say that rather than it being "better", it was as you wrote, "your preference." I find that some people hate DSD, finding it artificially open in the high register. They swear that a PCM "Ladder DAC" is the way to go. Ladder DACs are much more expensive than Sigma-Delta DACs so are therefore, not as common. As I wrote before, I have been quite impressed with the 5.6 MHz Native DSD recording results I have been able to achieve on my KORG MR2000s. Ultimately, I believe it is a subjective issue as you discovered when comparing your SONY SACD player to other SACD players.

Sonically Yours

todd
ma

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Todd,

Thank you very much for the generous gift of the downloads! You've made a bunch of audiophiles very happy! It's extremely informative to hear from someone who actually makes and masters recordings, so we can better understand the challenges and processes involved. Please feel free to join in our other discussions here, as your thoughts on DACs, etc. would be most welcome.

Lee

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Todd,

Thank you very much for the generous gift of the downloads! You've made a bunch of audiophiles very happy! It's extremely informative to hear from someone who actually makes and masters recordings, so we can better understand the challenges and processes involved. Please feel free to join in our other discussions here, as your thoughts on DACs, etc. would be most welcome.

Lee

Dear Lee

Thank You for your Thank You!

I would love to hear from members as to their thoughts or queries about my work. I am not going to be able to comment much on current DACs in the market. When I started the label, I had the opportunity to use DCS PRO A-D converters and also used a huge tube based DAC that STAX was making at the time. That is long gone and STAX has since changed hands twice....

Stay tuned for more downloads on the MA site, although probably not for free.......

Sonically Yours

todd
ma

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Todd and welcome to WBF

I met you this year at WBF as I spent quite some time in your room listening to your magnificent albums on sale. We have several mastering and recording engineers here and we welcome your input

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing