High Resolution Music Downloads from MARecordings

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Todd Garfinkle has been doing high-resolution recordings since 1992. While everyone else was excited about 20bit/44.1kHz, or 24bit/48kHz, Todd was already recording in 24bit/96kHz with a prototype recorder. Todd also records only with two mics, and captures the acoustic space of the recording venue that way.

I've persuaded Todd to make available samples of the MA Recordings music in high resolution for WBF. They will be in the next few posts.

To see a video of Todd making a recording, please have a look at this YouTube video here:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought it sounded night and day different with the nod going towards the live for the very reason that it sounded live instead of a canned playback.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Opening: Mathias Landaeus Trio

Click on the Cover to to go to the CD

High-resolution 24bit/176.4kHz file (right-click to download):
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/downloads/07_What_a_Wonderful_World 176.4K_24bit.wav

The entire CD is also available for purchase as a high-resolution DVD-ROM with 24bit/176.4kHz WAV files here:
http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=147

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Flute Sonatas of J. S. Bach volume 1: Diana Baroni - Dirk Boerner - Sarah van Cornewa

Click on the Cover to to go to the CD

High-resolution 24bit/176.4kHz file (right-click to download):
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/downloads/10_E-minor_Sonata-4th_mov. Allegro_176.4kHz.wav

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I thought it sounded night and day different with the nod going towards the live for the very reason that it sounded live instead of a canned playback.

That's because the original files from Todd's recording was mixed into the "live" part, whereas the canned playback was recorded using the camera's mike.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Gary,

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support and taking the time to put these up on your site. As you have mentioned elsewhere, I am working on getting downloads set up on the MA site. Hopefully, I will be ready by the end of November, 2012 and will start with both 2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz Native DSD files from both Jazz and World Music sources. The newer classical titles, while recorded on my "One-of-a-Kind" KORG MR2000s recorder with either two DPA 4006 mikes, or my "Two of a Kind" line-level stereo pair of microphones, still required many hours of delicate editing (which I of course, do myself) which I can only do on a PCM based DAW (Digital Audio Work) Station. I have recently asked KORG about their proprietary Native DSD editing system, but they responded that the user interface is still not stable and therefore, they are not able to offer it as a viable product. If anyone has any questions about the Hi Rez downloads that Gary has put up, please do not hesitate to ask! Thanks again Gary!

todd
ma

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
still required many hours of delicate editing (which I of course, do myself) which I can only do on a PCM based DAW (Digital Audio Work) Station. I have recently asked KORG about their proprietary Native DSD editing system, but they responded that the user interface is still not stable and therefore, they are not able to offer it as a viable product. If anyone has any questions about the Hi Rez downloads that Gary has put up, please do not hesitate to ask!

I applaud all the work that has gone into these recordings, but are you saying that everything recorded in DSD has undergone a PCM conversion?

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Bruce

No, only the recordings that require editing, meaning more specifically, the classical recordings on which I have done a few hundred edits each.... Sorry for the confusion. When I am able to put something up on the site for downloads, I will be quite specific as to whether or not it is Native DSD or not... In any case, I intend to start with Native DSD first and then expand.......

Sonically Yours,

todd
ma

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
This is really great and much appreciated! I have no way of playing DSD files but am tempted now :).

Dear Amir

You have the possibility to play DSD on your PC within 15 minutes of reading this.. You will have to acquire AUDIOGATE by KORG and activate it with your Twitter account, assuming you have one. Then, you will be ready to go. However, since you probably do not yet have a DSD capable DAC, Audiogate will conveniently convert on the fly to PCM. Or, for better sonics, you should probably convert the file to PCM first with AudioGate and then play it thru your DAC...

I would be interested to know what you think..........

Sonically Yours,

todd
ma

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dear Amir

You have the possibility to play DSD on your PC within 15 minutes of reading this.. You will have to acquire AUDIOGATE by KORG and activate it with your Twitter account, assuming you have one. Then, you will be ready to go. However, since you probably do not yet have a DSD capable DAC, Audiogate will conveniently convert on the fly to PCM. Or, for better sonics, you should probably convert the file to PCM first with AudioGate and then play it thru your DAC...

I would be interested to know what you think..........

Sonically Yours,

todd
ma
Hi Todd. First welcome to the forum and thanks again for this generous offer.

I am familiar with Audiogate so as you say, the issue is lack of DSD DAC. I am a complete PCM shop :). What is your experience as you convert DSD to PCM? What do you detect happens in that conversion? And back?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing