Anyone Compared the New 6550/KT88s out there in their Amps?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I purchased the gold lion replicas, and I really don't like them. I should have listened to Doug at Doug's tubes and tried the Penta's.
I put the McIntosh stock KT88's back in my MC275 for now.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What don't you like about them? I have them now in my Jadis Defy 7 MKII (all 12 of them) and I like them. I did have SED 6550s in there before I installed the GL KT-88s. I think they sound fine. I would rather have SED 6550s than SED KT-88s-I don't care for those.

Last edited:

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Ahh...didn't you know that PMC speakers and Gold Lion replicas don't sound good together?(Just kidding!)
Have you give them the time to settle in?Can you describe what is that you don't like?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I thought the sound was for a lack of a better description, AM radio like. Like listening to music from a tin can tied to an amp with a string. I had them in for 2.5 weeks, playing the music every day for at least 3 hours. So, they didn't get a lot of time to break in, but I couldn't take it any more.

I know most people really like these tubes, but I wasn't impressed at all. I have to sell them now so I can try something else. Maybe the Penta's this time.

You probably think I'm nuts, but I think this is a classic case of every one hears things differently.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
When mentioning the KT88's especially the Penta's are you refering to the KT88-98? The price seems excellent and having just picked up a pair of Lux 3045 amps that need the output tube mod, these seem to be the best choice?

bblilikoi

Jul 26, 2011
Eugene, OR, USA
6550 v KT88s

As for 6550 tubes, I like NOS Tung-Sol grey plates, no-hole and 3-hole. I can't say I hear a difference between them. I also like old stock black plate TS 6550s, but I sold my quad a few years ago. Now, I can't afford to have one again!

I've been liking the new Shuguang Treasury KT88s quite a lot. They produce the best string sound on orchestral music I've yet heard from new issue power tubes. I got them from Grant Fidelity in Canada and have been using them in my deHavilland KE50A monoblocks (Class A, 40W) for a couple of months now. Before that, I used old stock TS 6550s. Before that, I had the new issue Genalex KT88s in the amps.

I also have Shuguang KT88-SC tubes in a VAC Phi-200 amp that sounds terrific--very linear--and I have not rolled output tubes in it yet.

The old stock TS 6550s have more extension, both top and bottom, than any of these other tubes. But the Shuguang Treasury KT88s have a luscious midrange and have extension "near enough" to the TS 6550s that I've switched to them as my main power tube in my reference amps. The Genalex KT88s are all right--probably better sounding overall than the SED Winged "C" KT88s--but they're not as reliable or tough as the SED tubes, which are very tough. I used the Genalex and SED tubes both in an Air Tight ATM-2 amp that pounded the hell out of them on start up and I had several failures with Genalex and none with SED. The Shuguang KT88-SC tubes sound fine in the VAC Phi-200 amp--very linear, very extended at top and bottom, tight bass. But I heard that VAC was going to start using Shuguang Treasury tubes in their amps soon, starting with the 6SN7 Psvane and maybe the KT88 Treasury tubes later.

I convinced Kara Chaffee at deHavilland she ought to give her customers the option of Shuguang Treasury KT88s in her amps. As an upgrade over the standard Genalex KT88s she usually ships them with.

The short of it--I LIKE the sound of the Shuguang Treasury KT88s, but I don't yet know how reliable they are, as I've only used them about two months. No drift of bias, though, and no runaway tubes so far. But the deHavilland KE50A amps aren't hard on output tubes. I still think old stock TS 6500 greyplates are "better," but why spend more and burn those out fast when the new Shuguang Treasury tubes have almost the same extension and a better midrange?

I'm also trying Shuguang Psvane 12AX7 and 12AT7 signal tubes in a couple of applications.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As for 6550 tubes, I like NOS Tung-Sol grey plates, no-hole and 3-hole. I can't say I hear a difference between them. I also like old stock black plate TS 6550s, but I sold my quad a few years ago. Now, I can't afford to have one again!

I've been liking the new Shuguang Treasury KT88s quite a lot. They produce the best string sound on orchestral music I've yet heard from new issue power tubes. I got them from Grant Fidelity in Canada and have been using them in my deHavilland KE50A monoblocks (Class A, 40W) for a couple of months now. Before that, I used old stock TS 6550s. Before that, I had the new issue Genalex KT88s in the amps.

I also have Shuguang KT88-SC tubes in a VAC Phi-200 amp that sounds terrific--very linear--and I have not rolled output tubes in it yet.

The old stock TS 6550s have more extension, both top and bottom, than any of these other tubes. But the Shuguang Treasury KT88s have a luscious midrange and have extension "near enough" to the TS 6550s that I've switched to them as my main power tube in my reference amps. The Genalex KT88s are all right--probably better sounding overall than the SED Winged "C" KT88s--but they're not as reliable or tough as the SED tubes, which are very tough. I used the Genalex and SED tubes both in an Air Tight ATM-2 amp that pounded the hell out of them on start up and I had several failures with Genalex and none with SED. The Shuguang KT88-SC tubes sound fine in the VAC Phi-200 amp--very linear, very extended at top and bottom, tight bass. But I heard that VAC was going to start using Shuguang Treasury tubes in their amps soon, starting with the 6SN7 Psvane and maybe the KT88 Treasury tubes later.

I convinced Kara Chaffee at deHavilland she ought to give her customers the option of Shuguang Treasury KT88s in her amps. As an upgrade over the standard Genalex KT88s she usually ships them with.

The short of it--I LIKE the sound of the Shuguang Treasury KT88s, but I don't yet know how reliable they are, as I've only used them about two months. No drift of bias, though, and no runaway tubes so far. But the deHavilland KE50A amps aren't hard on output tubes. I still think old stock TS 6500 greyplates are "better," but why spend more and burn those out fast when the new Shuguang Treasury tubes have almost the same extension and a better midrange?

I'm also trying Shuguang Psvane 12AX7 and 12AT7 signal tubes in a couple of applications.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi

Any thoughts ,comment on the Electro Harmonix KT88's?

tdh888

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
That certain Canadian seller is now pushing the Psvane tubes which they claim are better the the Shuguang Treasure KT-88 Z. Anybody know what that is about or have any experience with these Psvane tubes?

I had very much wanted and have been constantly thinking about switching to the Shuguang Treasure KT-88's but the price at the Tube Store and Grant Fidelity has me hesitant.

Think I'll send Neil a PM.

Last edited:

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I have used EH KT88, Gold Lion Reissues, Penta Labs (shuguang) KT88SC and original Tung Sol solid grey plate 6550. The TS are definitely the best of the bunch, but not by a huge amount, making them a questionable value at current prices. I do not hear any "grain" in them, only smooth sound with great extension. Next best is the Penta Labs tubes, these are really great through the midrange and tend to minimize the upper bass/ lower midrange "hump" that seems to be endemic to this class of tubes. The EH KT88 came standard with my amp, and I think they are a pretty good tube. The frequency range is definitely tilted upward, with less bass and more treble than the other tubes, but this can be corrected to a certain extent with the choice of warm driver and input tubes. Have been bullet proof in my amp, along with the Penta's. I did not care for the Gold Lion re-issue. I had them in my amp for a month, maybe 200 hours of use. They sounded bland, lacking in high frequency extention, dynamics, and emphasizing the upper bass to the point of boomy. I got my matched quad from the Tubestore in Hamilton. Recently, due to all the press they have been getting, I decided to give them another try. I took V1 out of the box, and the getters were all white! It had lost its vacuum just sitting in the box. One other was the same, and the other 2 showed heavy getter wear. This is unacceptable quality IMO.
I am currently using Ei KT90 in my amp in triode mode. These are the type 2 with the weld marks on the plates, made before the war. These tubes seem to have it all--great power and dynamics, excellent extention at both ends, smooth midrange with lots of detail. I prefer them even to the NOS Tung Sols. These are occasionally available at Audio Asylum's classified ads, as I know a gentleman with many quads is slowly unloading them there.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Gold Lion KT88s arrived a few days ago. For over a year, I was listening to the ARC VS115 amp on stock SED 6550 tubes. Prior to that amp, I had an ARC VS110 that had EH 6550s but within a month I changed them into SED KT88s, which lasted for many years till the change to the VS115 last year.

I have been reluctant to play any of my vocals for the past year on this 115/6550 amp. Reason is there is simply no emotion on the singers, and there is virtually no life in their voices. But, when I play acoustic instrumentals like Windham Hill, and classical music, the amp sounded fantastic and way better than my old VS110/KT88 amp. I was torn between getting the KT120s or the KT88s but after so much self debate, I chose to go the path of KT88 and chose Gold Lion. Upon installation, I warmed it up a little and then played Eva Cassidy's Songbird album because I recall that playing it through the 6550s, there is an edge that bothers me and sibilants were too pronounced and her voice is totally lacking in warmth and lushness. After a few minutes of playing this LP with the GL 88s in place, immediately I felt my audio life was going to be better, because my main genre has evolved into female vocals over the past few years. Her voice sounds warmer, lush, and full of emotion when she sings. I am very happy to get this back. I also played Enoch Light's Provocative Percussion on Command Records just to find out if instruments are clear and boy, was it clear and crisp, with good transient attacks, not tubby at all. Of course the tubes are still only a few hours old and more things can change, and I'm very eager to hear what improvements can still show up. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My Gold Lion KT88s arrived a few days ago. For over a year, I was listening to the ARC VS115 amp on stock SED 6550 tubes. Prior to that amp, I had an ARC VS110 that had EH 6550s but within a month I changed them into SED KT88s, which lasted for many years till the change to the VS115 last year.

I have been reluctant to play any of my vocals for the past year on this 115/6550 amp. Reason is there is simply no emotion on the singers, and there is virtually no life in their voices. But, when I play acoustic instrumentals like Windham Hill, and classical music, the amp sounded fantastic and way better than my old VS110/KT88 amp. I was torn between getting the KT120s or the KT88s but after so much self debate, I chose to go the path of KT88 and chose Gold Lion. Upon installation, I warmed it up a little and then played Eva Cassidy's Songbird album because I recall that playing it through the 6550s, there is an edge that bothers me and sibilants were too pronounced and her voice is totally lacking in warmth and lushness. After a few minutes of playing this LP with the GL 88s in place, immediately I felt my audio life was going to be better, because my main genre has evolved into female vocals over the past few years. Her voice sounds warmer, lush, and full of emotion when she sings. I am very happy to get this back. I also played Enoch Light's Provocative Percussion on Command Records just to find out if instruments are clear and boy, was it clear and crisp, with good transient attacks, not tubby at all. Of course the tubes are still only a few hours old and more things can change, and I'm very eager to hear what improvements can still show up. :)

Phil-I’m glad you like the GL KT-88 tubes in your ARC VS115. I can tell you the VS115 sounds great with the KT-120 tubes and they were rock stable during their time here. When I had the Jadis Defy 7 MKII amp, I retubed it with the GL KT-88s with the owner of Jadis giving his blessing and saying they were very nice sounding tubes. I just couldn’t keep tubes functional in the Jadis. They did sound great when they were working though.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil-I’m glad you like the GL KT-88 tubes in your ARC VS115. I can tell you the VS115 sounds great with the KT-120 tubes and they were rock stable during their time here. When I had the Jadis Defy 7 MKII amp, I retubed it with the GL KT-88s with the owner of Jadis giving his blessing and saying they were very nice sounding tubes. I just couldn’t keep tubes functional in the Jadis. They did sound great when they were working though.

Thanks, Mark. Appreciate very much your inputs in the past re the 120s vs the 88s and in the end I compiled all the opinions re these tubes and finally decided that my personal bias leaned on the warmer mids of the 88s than the upper and low extension of the 120s. I'm sure the 120s are superb sounding tubes as 3 of my local friends here are using them right now.

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
I used these KT88 in 3 amplifiers: Audio aero prestige , one PP classe A 50 watts, audiopax mono 88 a SET 30 watts, and audiopax maggiore one SET with 100watts ( in this I used only GL and EAT tubes) :

JJ tesla-good, but not special
Shuguang 88 - I did not like it
EH kt 88 - the wrost tube
Shuguang treasure - it was not beter than GL, we tested against GL and EAT, both better that ST
GL- better than all above, more transparent and reliable, had no problems in recent years.
EAT-best of all, the first 50 hours I thought I'd go back to using the GL, without highs and without sound balance, but after 50 hours they became very balanced with all frequency , are very expensive, should cost less.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I have not done any tube rolling with the exception of going from EH 6550s to EH KT88s. Twice a KT88 died in a modified Sonic Frontiers Power 2. I went back to the 6550s and felt that the KT88s were better in the bass and mid range. This may be amp dependent as I placed two pairs of the remaining KT88s into an Antique Sound Labs after the second tube failure in the SF Power 2 but have had no issues in the ASL integrated amp.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My Jadis JA50 is now fitted with KT90 tubes (Jadis sticker), I found a nice balance between what is written above on the KT88/6550 sonic differences, since this amp just use 2 tubes per side I would follow the KT88 NOS option if possible, or the EAT. Any word on the KT90 sound?

hltf

Nov 22, 2012
Hullo:
May I ask if the dealer in China that you recommended in 2010 is still a good one for testing and selling Shuguang tubes? I went to his web-site and there does not seem to be much info on Shuguang tubes any more although there is a place-holder for Shuguang tube offerings. There seems to be more actual info about and offerings of PSVane KT88s. Perhaps he is focusing on PSVane now rather than Shuguang? And have you any experience with the PSVane KT88s? I have been considering the new Shuguang Nature Series for my VAC 300.1 amp. Any thoughts on those? And any tips about good sellers of those?
Many thanks
Hasan

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I used these KT88 in 3 amplifiers: Audio aero prestige , one PP classe A 50 watts, audiopax mono 88 a SET 30 watts, and audiopax maggiore one SET with 100watts ( in this I used only GL and EAT tubes) :

JJ tesla-good, but not special
Shuguang 88 - I did not like it
EH kt 88 - the wrost tube
Shuguang treasure - it was not beter than GL, we tested against GL and EAT, both better that ST
GL- better than all above, more transparent and reliable, had no problems in recent years.
EAT-best of all, the first 50 hours I thought I'd go back to using the GL, without highs and without sound balance, but after 50 hours they became very balanced with all frequency , are very expensive, should cost less.

Congratulations Sir. In the model88 you have the single finest amp $ for $ on the planet. Particularly if it is the new Mk3 SE version

I have been using 1960s GEC Kt88- in my Audiopax Model88 set up. The sound is astonishing but the tubes are too old now and too used to keep up. I am looking to replace them. Despite what you say I hope to try the Shuguans. If I get them I'll post my findings

Have you tried NOS GECs. If not. YOU MUST!

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
Hi Cableman

The problem is to find NOS GEC, my audiopax maggiore use 6 tubes ecah one ( it is mono) so it would very expensive. I have a friend that uses EAT in his mono 88 it is mk3.

amg2.jpg

amg1.jpg

SALASOM.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome Cableman!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing