Dust on records

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Interesting.

I don't have an expensive cleaning machine but in the last few years I play nearly new or very slightly used records. Dust is still an issue in my house though.

I use the Alsop Orbitrac because I don't lke using the TT motor to spin the platter while I'm brushing or dusting. The carbon fiber brush I use:

1280863533_DustArm4_w450_h400.jpg

always seems to pick up a little more. The pic doesn't show it but there's a small ground wire that runs from the base of the brush/arm stand to a good ground, fwiw.

I also have a Zerostat, but it's hard to tell if it's doing anything, and I really haven't seen any good instructions on exactly how it should be used. Maybe I'll start investingating that device next.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IIRC after cleaning point the Zerostat at a 45 degree angle about 10 inches above the record. Slowly squeeze the trigger. Point it away from record before releasing. Repeat.

Last edited:

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
IIRC after cleaning point the Zerostat at a 45 degree angle about 10 inches above the record. Slowly squeeze the trigger, Point it away fromm record before releasing. Repeat.

That is somewhat how I remember, except point it straight on. I'll have to try it out soon.

Thank you.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I use a Hunt carbon fiber brush for a quick dust cleaning.

I have this battery LED book reading light with clip and gooseneck next to my turntable and it allows me to see everything when the lights are low.

I feel the older AudioQuest and ProJect carbon fiber brushes allow debris to rolls off, and the Hunt is flat.

For a laugh, the heck is wrong with the turntable in this video?

Is it drunk?

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I'm in a gross minority that won't buy a quality TT that doesn't have a hinged dustcover. No way, no how. No hinged dustcover, no sale. I live with three cats, a dog, two children and a wife, all of whom have a hell of a lot more hair than me.

Felix
Hinged dust covers are nice and I consider them essential. When I play a record they are open. I never, ever, play a record with the cover closed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing