Nola ko

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ideally we would want to evaluate speakers in the same system and room. Often though we need to let the speaker shine in the best circumstance. That is not always the same environment for every speaker.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would think a dealer has more at stake than a reviewer in getting the most out of a piece of gear he is selling?

In any case, based on my experiences so far, NOLA is a speaker brand I will investigate very carefully when I buy new speakers, and VR not so much, despite the fact that I have a liking for ribbons.
That's not been my experience with dealers.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is what I want to know: Do the NOLA KO speakers sound so good because they are demonstrated with tubes or do they sound so good in spite of using tubes? I asked if anyone has heard the KOs with SS gear and have received zero responses. I don't mean this to be a slam against tube gear because that is not true, I just believe the SS and tubes sound different in spite of what someone on this forum has tried to postulate.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Here is what I want to know: Do the NOLA KO speakers sound so good because they are demonstrated with tubes or do they sound so good in spite of using tubes? I asked if anyone has heard the KOs with SS gear and have received zero responses. I don't mean this to be a slam against tube gear because that is not true, I just believe the SS and tubes sound different in spite of what someone on this forum has tried to postulate.

I have no experience with the new NOLA KO speakers but I have owned the Nola Micro Grand Ref's and they were/are stunning. I heard them demonstrated with ARC gear, but used them at home with a stereo Burmester 911mk3, McIntosh MC402 and MC601's, various CJ amps and even Spectron monoblocks. ALL amps sounded great on the Micro Grand Ref's. I could say the Nola Micros made all the amps sound great. The different flavors came through, but these speaker let you hear the music. You don't focus on the gear with Nola. The 911mk3 was particularly awesome and sounded the best I thought. I would not have any reservation using SS gear on Nola speakers. You just may want to try the amp you plan on using with them first.

When I had the Nola Micros, I spent an afternoon listening to Wilson Sasha W/P with Ayre KX-R/MX-R combo. After several hours, I was fatigued and could not enjoy it. I went home to my Nola Micros and was so relieved at how musical and satisfying they sounded. Never a millisecond of fatigue from any of the 3 pairs of Alon/Nola speakers I've owned over the years. One pair, Alon Lotus Sigs I had for 9 years.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
So here’s a question: Has anyone heard the NOLA KOs with SS gear instead of tube gear? If so, how does it sound? I noticed that HP used the same Nordost $30K speaker cables that Carl used at RMAF this year even though the electronics were different (still all tube though).

There's that 30k speaker wire again ....... :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This is why you like the Nola's , that dipole middle , against the boxy VS sound ....!!!!!

Well all one has to do is look at Carl's resume to see why!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm not about ti step onto the cable minefield. It appears the KO was inserted into Room #2 Hp is a long time Nordost advocate. I'm sure you can find an adequate cable using the ten percent rule.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm not about ti step onto the cable minefield. It appears the KO was inserted into Room #2 Hp is a long time Nordost advocate. I'm sure you can find an adequate cable using the ten percent rule.

Don't you mean 10% solution? :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Absolutely and IMO it is the best way to go , unless you're have space issues and he has done a much better job with the NOLA 's than when he was doing ALON, the head unit on the early ALON's were much too small ....

The Alon Adrianna that I reviewed years ago was a winner in the small speaker sweepstakes. Great combo with the Vac Rennaissance or CJ amps.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I own Baby Grands Series II and can unequivocally state the best cables to date I have used with my Meitner DAC2X, REF5SE, REF 250s to the Babys are MG audio design cables. I found their copper CU2 from Dac to Preamp, their silver from preamp to amp and their Planus IIIs absolutely spectacular at a relatively minimal cost. I try to get Carl to listen BUT......

The point is that paying 10k for a speaker like the KO doesn't require 25k speaker cables.

My system is now as good as I have ever heard.

Anyone considering Carl's speakers at ANY price owes it to themselves to try these cables. I found the combination of copper and silver the way to go as the all silver was too bright.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Congrats On Baby Grand.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Congrats On Baby Grand.

Thanks. I have had them for awhile now, but just recently changed over to the MG AudioDesign Cables which has made a tremendous difference. Hence the reason for my post as when Carl shows the speakers he often does with cables costing more than the speakers he is showing. These cables range in price from 600-1400 for standard sizes and they are just releasing their CU2 interconnects and PIIIs speaker cables which I got early and are just spectacular.

As good as the Nolas are these cables literally transform the speakers. I couldn't recommend them more highly. The system sounds better than ever. I have no financial interest in any of the companies I named just the desire have my system sound the best it is capable of sounding. Personally I think Carl is not doing himself showing his speakers with wires costing more than what he is showing, but that is me.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks. I have had them for awhile now, but just recently changed over to the MG AudioDesign Cables which has made a tremendous difference. Hence the reason for my post as when Carl shows the speakers he often does with cables costing more than the speakers he is showing. These cables range in price from 600-1400 for standard sizes and they are just releasing their CU2 interconnects and PIIIs speaker cables which I got early and are just spectacular.

As good as the Nolas are these cables literally transform the speakers. I couldn't recommend them more highly. The system sounds better than ever. I have no financial interest in any of the companies I named just the desire have my system sound the best it is capable of sounding. Personally I think Carl is not doing himself showing his speakers with wires costing more than what he is showing, but that is me.

I believe you left out two words after the word "himself" in the above sentence and those two words are "any favors." It sounds real funny as written though.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I believe you left out two words after the word "himself" in the above sentence and those two words are "any favors." It sounds real funny as written though.

You are right!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing