Nola ko

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
NOLA KO has recieved a lot of good press and feedback.My first impreSsion was, great another fabulous speaker only s few can afford. Ar $10k it's not cheap bur it is affordable. Many have expressed their appreciation of the silk dome tweeter. It's worth following.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm waiting for the room Rx cracks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It does appear as though they are hiding out while they work on some top secret project.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To my ears, the $10K NOLA KO driven by the more modest ARC gear was a clear winner for a speaker under $70K. The NOLA sonic signature and Carl's genius were obvious to anyone who stepped into the suite: there was MUSICplaying in Carl's suite, not a bunch of audio gear that makes sound yet brings a whole hoard of media elites, as there was in the Wilson Alexa room. As a result, anyone who was introduced to or re-acquainted with the NOLA sonic signature can now step into a dealer that has several NOLA models on display in more comfortable surroundings and compare the KO to the more expensive models. They can easily determine if the sonic benefits of the higher priced models are worth paying for. So NOLA was not only the best of show, but did a brilliant job of marketing as well, as it was obvious what value NOLA delivered for what they charged.
Ceasar

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
KO-grillesonoff-sm.jpg The Nola KO loudspeaker is the top model in the Boxer Collection. While it incorporates the easy to drive characteristics of other Boxer Collection models, it also incorporates state of the art concepts used in our top Reference Series products at a much more affordable price.
Utilizing our mirror-imaged short line source open baffle array, the Nola KO provides the "open", spacious, and transparent sound that sets Nola apart. The Nola KO can fill medium to large rooms with ease, while providing very high sound quality.

The Nola KO utilizes four high-speed, low-mass 4½" midrange drivers operating as dipoles to eliminate box coloration. The high frequency section employs four exotic 1" silk dome tweeters that provide excellent detail, wide effortless dynamics and luxurious smoothness. The low frequency section utilizes two 7" cast frame metal cone bass drivers, each operating in separate ported chambers. These bass drivers operate as perfect pistons over their whole range for dynamic, fast, and tuneful bass. True phase plugs, long throw high power voice coils, and sophisticated, heavy magnet structures are also utilized. A 90 dB sensitivity at 2.8 volts and an average 8 ohm impedance allow the Nola KO to be driven by a wide range of amplifiers, both solid state and vacuum tube. New UnisonTM crossover technology provides improved amplifier utilization for higher effective efficiency, as well as superb "single driver coherency."

The Nola KO is provided in either a true piano cherry or a true piano black finish. Four removable grilles (front, sides, and rear), premium spikes and piano black bases are also provided.

www.nolaspeakers.com

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm in complete agreement with HP. His writing is so much better than mine.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think I would call that a flat-out rave review of the NOLA KOs by HP.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
http://www.hpsoundings.com/2012/11/review-nola-ko-loudspeaker/

The review is out. Uncle Mikey thinks the "stick" is better than LP. See what HP gas to say about the Wilma Cozart Box CD set.

This will not sit well with LP fans ... From HP himself emphasis is mine.

I began to understand all the better Cozart/Fine’s contention that, in some respects, the digital versions were more true to the original than the LPs, and this, I saw/heard was because no LP could reproduce the mighty transient waves as accurately. But then, to my way of thinking, the LPs had some things harmonically that eluded the digital transfers.

I have that boxset and some of the LPs. I concur and have been writing about that impression here in WBF for a while that to my ears the CDs surpass the LPs.

Caesar here loves the Nola ... haven't heard it ..

Anyone knows why Alon speakers became Nola speakers?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'll be looking yo hear this speaker. i have no reason to believe it sounds significantly different from the rest of the line.
The challenge is to find equally priced components that don't compromise the sound or the bargain it appears to be. No doubt the amp pictured in my avatar would be my first choice.

Ayon 2 CD Player
Allmic linestage
Moscode 402au
A system could be had for the price of the excellent VS VR044.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I for one clearly prefer the KO even to the VR5.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I generally prefer open bafflle or dipole to sealed enclosure. The former tends to be cheaper. OTOH I never met a VS I did not like.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Have you heard them in the same system?

No. I have heard VR44 at the last 2 RAMF, and the VR5 last year (the open reel tape [UHA] rooms both years), and the KO's and Baby Grands at RAMF. Since many (even most?) people raved about the sound of all those VS rooms both years, I think I have given them a fair listening chance for comparison. Both years at RAMF the NOLA room has sucked me in, even with "just CD's" as the source.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No. I have heard VR44 at the last 2 RAMF, and the VR5 last year (the open reel tape [UHA] rooms both years), and the KO's and Baby Grands at RAMF. Since many (even most?) people raved about the sound of all those VS rooms both years, I think I have given them a fair listening chance for comparison. Both years at RAMF the NOLA room has sucked me in, even with "just CD's" as the source.

Actually I thought the VR5s sounded terrible and the set up was weird at that RMAF. Two (or was it 3) years ago at RMAF, the VS speakers were in many different rooms and everyone sounded very different. The best was the Jolida room with the 33s and tape.

But in the end, that's where a reviewer will have an advantage over the consumer :) The reviewer can compare both items in the same system with the same components and hopefully draw a more meaningful conclusion. And hopefully the reviewer will go to greater lengths to extract all a product can do than the dealer.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So here’s a question: Has anyone heard the NOLA KOs with SS gear instead of tube gear? If so, how does it sound? I noticed that HP used the same Nordost $30K speaker cables that Carl used at RMAF this year even though the electronics were different (still all tube though).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I would think a dealer has more at stake than a reviewer in getting the most out of a piece of gear he is selling?

In any case, based on my experiences so far, NOLA is a speaker brand I will investigate very carefully when I buy new speakers, and VR not so much, despite the fact that I have a liking for ribbons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing