the NHB-458's are here

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know about Mike but I'm breathless
OTOH. I'm sure Hugh Hefner at times thought god caught not make a more beutigu women.:b

'breathless' is one way to describe the listening experiences the last day or so. a combination of laughing at the audacity of the performance of the gear and tears of joy of the experience.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Mike,

One factor that is probably underplayed here is the huge amount of work you have done for years to be able to afford this beautiful room and system. The enjoyment must certainly be somewhat tied to the "reward" for all the effort for you. I wanted to be sure that this aspect of audio bliss is recognized. Well done, sir.

Lee

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
last night i listened from about 7:30pm until almost 2am. it started from 'better' than anything i'd ever heard' and just kept getting better and better as the night went on. i could not stop. and this morning i was pretty gassed. at 61years old there is a price to pay. OTOH the smile from the experience is still on my face even thou my head hurts.

the highest watt number i saw on the 458's was '42'; and that was at warp factor 9 on the SACD of Micky Hart's-Kodo 'Mondo Head', track 7, Daraijin. this was likely at 110db++. mostly i saw between 0 and 10 watts. words cannot describe the absolute dynamic drive of the bass with the 458's combined with the -4- 1000 watt amplifiers on the bass towers. and the complete lack of any stress anywhere no matter what the task the system is called upon to do is spooky. from another planet. mezmorizing. "stay up till 1:45am and who cares" kinda stuff.

sorry i can't show 500 watts, but not sure it would not vaporize me with these amps on these speakers.:D

cool stuff...very cool. Congrats

hr2

Apr 2, 2011
Mike..I asked a question but I see that I did not answer, I know where you bought the beautiful new chair?
Refer back to compliment the amazing system you have.
ciro

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike..I asked a question but I see that I did not answer, I know where you bought the beautiful new chair?
Refer back to compliment the amazing system you have.
ciro

sorry, when i read this post....

Can I ask if they are inquisitive .... where to buy that beautiful poltrona.vista in another photo.
Sincere congratulations for your amazing plant ... really speechless.
Hello ciro.

i did not understand what 'poltrona.visita' meant. i guess you meant this new Cassina K10 Dodo chair. i purchased it from the local Cassina representative here in the Seattle area. it was shipped from Long Island, NY......and i had to wait 10 days for 'Sandy' and it's aftermath to get somewhat over with to get it released to my shipper.

i do like the chair as my 'sweet spot' chair. i'm keeping my 'perfect chair' in my room for when my body needs total comfort.

and thanks for the nice comments.

K10 Dodo (1 of 1).jpg

hr2

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks Mike.. for the reply ... very nice ... I will struggle to find a chair so beautiful in Italy.
Seeing your system it makes me want to take my system and throw it from the balcony .... joke of course ... congratulations again.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Mike, WOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Congrats with the world class system!

Do you feel the large DartZeel's have the same finesse and delicacy as the 108? May be too early to tell due to the long burn in process?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I'm Late , but I'm in ....:)

What can i say Uncle Mike , the system is as serious as an heart attack, by the way were you able to get the electrical panel completed ? I had missed your follow up on that and are you also using the standard DZ power cables ..?

Anyway i was going to invite you over for a listen , but you're having so much fun at the moment , why spoil the party ........:) :)

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi Mike,
enjoy all this over-the-top gear!
It is nice to read about rich people interested in audio. I know rich people and I know audiophiles but seldom "do they meet" in the same body :p

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike's not rich anymore.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,
enjoy all this over-the-top gear!
It is nice to read about rich people interested in audio. I know rich people and I know audiophiles but seldom "do they meet" in the same body :p

glad you enjoyed it.

i wrote a long reponse to you and then deleted it figuring it was too defensive. people will always think what they think anyway and you cannot change their perspectives on this subject.

i'll only say don't judge 'net worth/means/being rich' by the gear one owns. they are two independant ideas. and involve choices and consequences for most of us. i'm part of the 'most of us'.

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
glad you enjoyed it.

i wrote a long reponse to you and then deleted it figuring it was too defensive. people will always think what they think anyway and you cannot change their perspectives on this subject.

i'll only say don't judge 'net worth/means/being rich' by the gear one owns. they are two independant ideas. and involve choices and consequences for most of us. i'm part of the 'most of us'.

Why would you feel the need to become defensive? I am really glad for you! No negative side thoughts here. I am neither rich, nor poor. However, some poor African would disagree. It is the way of things... About audio: I have a nice set. Love music. And I meant just what I said. Enjoy Mike!
Wim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Why would you feel the need to become defensive? I am really glad for you! No negative side thoughts here. I am neither rich, nor poor. However, some poor African would disagree. It is the way of things... About audio: I have a nice set. Love music. And I meant just what I said. Enjoy Mike!
Wim

thanks Wim.

sorry to over-react and not take the post in the spirit it was offered. your choice of the word 'rich' does bring a bit of baggage with it these days and is polarizing.

i guess i'm uncomfortable with that word relative to me.....as i don't see myself that way.

anyway, thanks for the nice comments and let's go on.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
:
thanks Wim.

sorry to over-react and not take the post in the spirit it was offered. your choice of the word 'rich' does bring a bit of baggage with it these days and is polarizing.

i guess i'm uncomfortable with that word relative to me.....as i don't see myself that way.

anyway, thanks for the nice comments and let's go on.

Uncle Mike,
The equipment you own (and your audio room) is a worth a fortune for most people. You are just being modest.:b

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am not Mike (of course ..duh ...:rolleyes:) .. I am not speaking for Mike. nor am I a moderator. I believe it is only good manners that the issues of personal financial means to not be discussed in any thread. When a person opens his system to his fellow audiophiles, forum members there is an implied assumption that the means (and or circumstances) of acquisition of such gear are not to be discussed.. Let's continue to abide to this unwritten rule of decorum and propriety ..

Out for now

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing