the NHB-458's are here

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
totally happy with my Playback Designs streaming dsd and double dsd.

but i get the whole gold/red anodized thing.

Waiting to hear what your tapes sound like now--esp. if you've gotten your 1/2 inch releases!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Waiting to hear what your tapes sound like now--esp. if you've gotten your 1/2 inch releases!

i'll do some tapes tonight. i did get my first 1/2" from the Tape Project. however, i've sent the motors on my 1/2" Studer to Athan in SF for rebuilds and don't have them back yet. i do have a 1/2" headstack for ym ATR-102 but it's new and i've never installed it. hopefully i'll have those motors back this week and i can get it back together.

i do have 7 or 8 other very very good 1/2" dubs too. i am jones'ing for 1/2" tape now that the 'big rig' is fully operational. just how good can this whole music reproduction thing get? i'm about to find that out.

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
Is it wrong to be in love with a room you've never been in, that's on the other side of the world, and you can only imagine how it sounds inside it? I don't know seems kind of weird but i'm in love.

Congratulations on your new acquisitions Mike Lavigne.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
There are no more upgrades to do. You have reached the end. Now there are only body modifications left; maybe a removal of cerumen is a good start, then a pair of Spock ears. :b

hr2

Apr 2, 2011
Can I ask if they are inquisitive .... where to buy that beautiful poltrona.vista in another photo.
Sincere congratulations for your amazing plant ... really speechless.
Hello ciro.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah that would be pretty much the end .
The only possible thing i could think of would be a switchable passive crossover for the the bass towers , just for trying once in a while as the darts have plenty of headroom

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yeah that would be pretty much the end .
The only possible thing i could think of would be a switchable passive crossover for the the bass towers , just for trying once in a while as the darts have plenty of headroom

even the big darts don't do linear bass like purpose designed digital amps. and the digital amps are so efficient that the power grid is not stressed regardless of the demand.

not that the big darts don't do great deep bass when put in that spot to need to. only that there is a better way when pushing the envelope as to what is possible. and the whole 2 tower approach would be difficult if not unworkable with a single amp channel.

bi-amp'd with 2 pair of 458's with passive bass towers? who knows, but i'd put my money on the class D for deep bass.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike technically do you think you are bi-amping?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike technically do you think you are bi-amping?

sure; in a sense 2 amp channels on one signal channel is bi-amping....although this is more like tri-amping since there are two separate amps for the deep bass.

when i had my VR9SE's i had twin stereo 108 darts bi-amped on the top (one 2-channel stereo amp per side) of the VR9SE's, with a separate class d amp for the deep bass.

to me the beauty of the EA approach is that the (1) main amp has less load and (2) the digital amps on the bass mimic the signature from the main amp (since they are so neutral sounding) as that is where they get their signal, for optimal coherency. that is where you are not bi-amping in a strict sense.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'll do some tapes tonight. i did get my first 1/2" from the Tape Project. however, i've sent the motors on my 1/2" Studer to Athan in SF for rebuilds and don't have them back yet. i do have a 1/2" headstack for ym ATR-102 but it's new and i've never installed it. hopefully i'll have those motors back this week and i can get it back together.

i do have 7 or 8 other very very good 1/2" dubs too. i am jones'ing for 1/2" tape now that the 'big rig' is fully operational. just how good can this whole music reproduction thing get? i'm about to find that out.

just got word my 1/2" Studer motors should be here tomorrow, and we (me watching Bruce do it and staying clear) should have them installed on Sunday if things go as planned.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The reason I asked is because the bass towers are essentially a powered sub,You could consider the main towers as a full range separate speaker.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The reason I asked is because the bass towers are essentially a powered sub,You could consider the main towers as a full range separate speaker.

except the main towers are not really designed to be full range; they don't have the fullness and foundation in the bass to work by themselves. which is why they integrate perfectly with the bass towers, and why most full range speakers don't perfectly integrate with subwoofers. that fullness becomes distortion when added to the same thing from the subwoofer.

the main towers are not compromised to be everything. they are specifically designed for a specific purpose.

when i lived with the main towers by themselves for a week it was evidant that on fully 1/3rd of the music something was obviously missing. on the rest it was less obvious but still easy to hear.

i've yet to hear any full range speaker designed to stand alone truely integrate with any sub.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I think you are done.

Surely you jest:D Mike is the ultimate audiophile. Awesome equipment; great room; great source material. He is done ............ for now. It may be a year or four but I am comfortable saying that sometime in the future, he will upgrade SOMETHING. Maybe he will go to MM9's or different amps or improved preamp, but I would be amazed if he is "done". (Unless some financial disaster hits the Lavigne family).

If there is a nicer looking 2 channel room anywhere, I sure have not seen it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't know about Mike but I'm breathless
OTOH. I'm sure Hugh Hefner at times thought god caught not make a more beutigu women.:b

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Is it wrong to be in love with a room you've never been in, that's on the other side of the world, and you can only imagine how it sounds inside it? I don't know seems kind of weird but i'm in love.

Congratulations on your new acquisitions Mike Lavigne.

thanks for the kind words....and yes...it's just fine to love a room you've never been in. why not?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Nice stuff mike , it must be quite a step down listening on audioshows :D

Beautifull amps / cool design

i go to shows mostly to be around people i enjoy and pick up on the vibe. i do get impressed with the sound sometimes but it's unusual when it happens.

at CES where there are more super high end gear rooms you are more likely to hear something great; but the vibe there is not really very fun so i rarely go. i'd rather do RMAF.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
There are no more upgrades to do. You have reached the end. Now there are only body modifications left; maybe a removal of cerumen is a good start, then a pair of Spock ears. :b

I think you are done.

pretty cool Mike, go and get a new hobby now - this one you are done! :)

words mean little on this subject.

i'll only say that the issue for me is retirement. that is why i am likely done. i've investigated many areas of our hobby and in each area dived in and then simplified after i found my reference. so my sources, preamp, amps, speakers, power grid, room and location are done. i have pretty much the music i want in the formats i like.

my intention would be to be open to small upgrades of current gear, but overall to stay pretty much where i'm at.

check back in 2-3 years.;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Surely you jest:D Mike is the ultimate audiophile. Awesome equipment; great room; great source material. He is done ............ for now. It may be a year or four but I am comfortable saying that sometime in the future, he will upgrade SOMETHING. Maybe he will go to MM9's or different amps or improved preamp, but I would be amazed if he is "done". (Unless some financial disaster hits the Lavigne family).

If there is a nicer looking 2 channel room anywhere, I sure have not seen it.

thank you for the kind words.

see above.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing