What's the best subwoofer? REL? JL AUDIO? Velodyne? Wilson? Something else?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,

So how do internet company subs compare to audiophile subs? Anyone compare the SVS SB13 to a REL Gibraltar series? Does SVS equal or surpass the REL?

If one is paying a premium for a REL, is one paying primarily for marketing or for engineering the best possible audiophile sound?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Maybe you should have started a new thread instead of dragging up this old one?

What makes you think Internet Direct subs are not "audiophile" subs?

I compared Velodyne, Rythmik, Paradigm, B&W, and a few others. I bought Rythmik based on the sonic performance, measurements, and price. The Paradigm and Velodyne units I thought comparable were 3x - 5x the price, but I never had all the subs in my room at the same time to listen/test/compare so do not consider that more than my personal experience, bias, what have you.

Don't forget Seaton, another well-known and highly-respected sub designer.

I have never heard a REL or SVS.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I usually recommend Rythmik when an old Genesis owner with a 20 year old dead subwoofer comes to us but can't afford to buy a new Genesis sub. That's been working well over the past couple of years. Unfortunately, over the past few months when 2 of them complained that they had to return them because they didn't sound as good as the Genesis. I recommended one to Paradigm and the other Velodyne. I haven't heard from them. So, either they are satisfied, or they no longer trust my recommendations :(

Unfortunately, the Genesis 928 sold for less than $2,000 in 1994 - but I can't sell it at the same price in 2014.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Gentlemen,

So how do internet company subs compare to audiophile subs? Anyone compare the SVS SB13 to a REL Gibraltar series? Does SVS equal or surpass the REL?

If one is paying a premium for a REL, is one paying primarily for marketing or for engineering the best possible audiophile sound?

REL=MEH

JL Audio all the way. For the money the new E series is excellent, only lacking a little in output to the Fathom. The SVS are very good, but IMO a little below JL.

And remember to properly integrate it. No that does not mean running it in parallel with your main speakers. It means actively crossing over your main speakers to the sub and using digital delay to properly time align.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The jl f113 is great because it's very versatile (power and bandwidth) and is very small. I have a pair; each in mono.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I helped an audio bud with his HT/2ch system. Integrated a Revel 10B quite well in providing impact and musical subtlety. Dare I say very musical. Very enjoyable to listen too.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'm surprised a Genesis owner didn't like Rythmik, wonder what happened? Rythmik replaced my old custom (DIY) servo sub based upon an Infinity IRS driver. However, the top Paradigm and Velodyne are excellent, though I was less impressed with anything below the very top Velodynes. I felt the ones that competed with my Rythmik were 3x the price or more but would not fault them sonically. When I got back into this hobby a few years ago I was surprised at how many great new products were available at all price ranges.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I was surprised too that a former Genesis owner didn't like the Rythmik. I heard some at a customer who had them mixed with Genesis and thought they sounded excellent. I had a look at the technology - and except for adding another driver in opposition to cancel cabinet and internal distortion - I thought that they got it right there.

Excellent products for the money. I certainly couldn't make one as good at the same price!!

dallasjustice might be right that these two customers couldn't integrate them.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Has anyone actually auditioned various subs in their system and can meaningfully describe the sonic signature of say, REL vs JL vs Velodyne vs. anything else?
I haven't auditioned this sub, but surely the Magico Q-sub fits the bill of the best subwoofer? The Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic generator is an interesting product as well..

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Absolutely. I also run a pair of JL F113s. I use Dirac to integrate them and agree that proper setup is at least as important as the choice of sub.

Lee

How are you integrating subs with dirac? It doesn't have any xo functionality, dallasjustice and I ran into that problem with his system

caesar

May 30, 2010
I haven't auditioned this sub, but surely the Magico Q-sub fits the bill of the best subwoofer? The Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic generator is an interesting product as well..

I have no doubt they are very fine products, but I wonder if they are specifically voiced to work with Magico Q series products. Also, not that I am searching, but I haven't seen any reviews of these.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I wonder how much poor subwoofer integration is the true cause for folks searching for the "best" subwoofer.

Dallas, you may be right. My initial thinking was the sub-woofers are a pure commodity product, as we can only "feel" the lower registers. So anything with a large size, decent specs, and good engineering reputation is pretty much interchangeable. But like with everything else in this hobby, there is a divergence of opinions...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Krell Master Ref Sub is a serious contender according to 3 people I know who've spent real time with it over the years. Designed many years ago, in a similar fashion to the QSub...opposite facing 15' drivers, weighs over 400lbs with solid 1 inch to 2 inch thick aluminium baffle. Apparently loads of crossover, settings for adjustment...and designed I am told when Dan D'Agostino had a pair of X1s and wanted a sub to go with them. He apparently had four of them with his X1s and it was supposedly earth shatteringly good.

I was very tempted to get one 2nd hand when the chance came up. I spoke with several people incl a few members here. The votes were split...many strongly in favour, and a few against (mainly due to concerns about an aging amp...the Master Ref had an entire Krell FPB650 inside).

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Krell Master Ref Sub is a serious contender according to 3 people I know who've spent real time with it over the years. Designed many years ago, in a similar fashion to the QSub...opposite facing 15' drivers, weighs over 400lbs with solid 1 inch to 2 inch thick aluminium baffle. Apparently loads of crossover, settings for adjustment...and designed I am told when Dan D'Agostino had a pair of X1s and wanted a sub to go with them. He apparently had four of them with his X1s and it was supposedly earth shatteringly good.

I was very tempted to get one 2nd hand when the chance came up. I spoke with several people incl a few members here. The votes were split...many strongly in favour, and a few against (mainly due to concerns about an aging amp...the Master Ref had an entire Krell FPB650 inside).
That would be an interesting shoot out...the old classic vs the new kid on the block ;)

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I have no doubt they are very fine products, but I wonder if they are specifically voiced to work with Magico Q series products. Also, not that I am searching, but I haven't seen any reviews of these.
Caesar, I think you're right. I suspect most customers for Qsub will likely use this product in a dedicated home theater with Q or S series fronts, sides & rears where you want the massive subterranean bass. It's horses for courses...if I had a pair of TSW Apogee Diva's, I would order a pair of WB Torus IG's which are much faster than Qsub due to their twin-motor arrangement & would better match the super fast panels :)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That would be an interesting shoot out...the old classic vs the new kid on the block ;)

For sure! Krell Master Ref Sub vs Magico Q18 Sub...mind your ears!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Dallas, you may be right. My initial thinking was the sub-woofers are a pure commodity product, as we can only "feel" the lower registers. So anything with a large size, decent specs, and good engineering reputation is pretty much interchangeable. But like with everything else in this hobby, there is a divergence of opinions...

Having owned many well thought of subs, they are NOT a pure commodity product. They measure and sound differently. In fact, I had 3 subs from 3 different companies in my room at the same time (Velodyne DD-18, SVS PB-13, Seaton SubMersive). All very different.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes. Everyone has an opinion.

The best thing to do is find a good sub or a pair and listen. IMO, one needs measurement equipment and competence to integrate subs. Unfortunately, most folks "wing it" with their ear listening to bass track over and over. You might get lucky and be happy with that method, but I doubt it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing