What's the best "whole house music solution" for a non-audiophile?

caesar

May 30, 2010
My neighbor could give a crap about good sound, but he came to me, the audiophile, looking to get ideas on getting music through his whole house. I was thinking Sonos, based on my very limited knowledge. What's the difference between Sonos and Apple TV? Are there other good options?

Thanks in advance

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My neighbor could give a crap about good sound, but he came to me, the audiophile, looking to get ideas on getting music through his whole house. I was thinking Sonos, based on my very limited knowledge. What's the difference between Sonos and Apple TV? Are there other good options?

Thanks in advance

Sonos is much more expensive, they build playback hardware (wireless receiver/amp combos and tabletop units), and they allow you to play different channels in different rooms. The Apple system, at this juncture, plays the same source everywhere, and you need hardware to plug it into, but it is cheap and cheerful -- iTunes, and a $99 Airport Express wherever you have a playback unit that will take RCA inputs (or optical). And it is fully controllable from anywhere with an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Very slick. One of the big complaints is that it only plays from iTunes, but this is a very small bump to get over. A $30 piece of software from a little online company called Rogue Amoeba will allow you send any audio playing on your computer (Spotify, competitive digital audio players, etc) to the Airport Express units for playback.

Tim

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I use Apple TV primarily for this. If he (she?) can leave iTunes open on one computer, you can use it as a zone player or a streamer. (I find it works more robustly as a zone player). It has optical and HDMI out, so whatever he (she) wants to pipe the sound into has to be able to cope with that. Control from an iPod/iPad/iPhone using Apple's Remote.app. The main limitation is everything is resampled to 48kHz, but I can't tell the difference on the equipment I am using this for.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
A $30 piece of software from a little online company called Rogue Amoeba will allow you send any audio playing on your computer (Spotify, competitive digital audio players, etc) to the Airport Express units for playback.

Tim

It is now also a built-in operating system feature with 10.8, at least with newer hardware.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It is now also a built-in operating system feature with 10.8, at least with newer hardware.

Hi

I understand the Apple love and everything but I would not go with Apple there. SONOS. It is close to idiot-proof. The price is decent and the sound better than Bose :D .. You control the darn thing with as many iThing or Android you have and are done ... Play Internet Radio, flac, mp3, Apple lossy and lossless codecs. You connect to a router and with or without a NAS, you are done .. It plays music from any PC or Mac in the House or IPod or Android too ... and from a NAS or more NASes ... Each Zone you actually add increase the reach of the system as they talk to each other over some kind of closed Wireless channel, extending your WIFi if needs be ... What's not to like? many have even mod them to play more than decently through audiophile systems So he can "upgrade" later ... Just in case he catches the bug :)

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've been using SONOS for years now (since 2007) and I'm a huge believer in it. As FrantzM said it's completely idiot-proof and has some useful features which you wouldn't always consider until it's too late.

It maintains perfect audio synchronization between zones (which is very useful in a whole-house implementation).

With the latest software version you can stream the contents of your iphone, ipad, or ipod touch via wifi.

It easily handles grouping of zones (groups can be built and destroyed at will) for content and volume control.

Many of the devices have an analog input which is useful for streaming an outside source. I've considered it for playing LPs at parties, but it could also be useful for streaming TV audio

It supports just about every internet music service available including the add-on internet streaming service for SirusXM. I'm quite partial to MOG which, on the sonos, will allow me to build a playlist using tracks from MOG as well as tracks in my own library.

The sound quality from the S3 and S5 all-in-one boxes isn't bad for whole house use. They're unobtrusive and require nothing more than a power cable. WAF is typically very high with these.

We have 4 zones at home, 3 at my office, and 3 at my wife's office. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I do wish they had a version that would stream hi-res files, though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use Sonos as well. It's so easy to use once set up that my wife mans the controls.

merrillaudio

Jriver allows an android app (maybe iphone also, I don't know) that allows you to play from any source computer/server to any other destination including the android device.

Hollis Audio Labs makes an integrated package without the fans and Jriver. The cost of installing a computer in every play area may be more expensive then Sonos or Apple unless you have a cheap source of computers.

however if you have 1 server and android tablets in every room with the headphone jack to the stereo equipment (low fi) this would be a very nice solution with some limitations.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think Sonos and Apple system are equally easy to setup and use. Two issues separate them: $$, Apple is cheaper. $99/zone vs $349/zone w/o amps. Add $30 for the Airfoil app with Apple to access certain music services though AirPlay allow direct access from iDevices. You might have to add $99 to Sonos for a zone bridge depending on your config

Second issue is as pointed out above: do you want to play different music streams from the same source. If so, you must go Sonos. There are other small feature issues but they fall into the realm of rarely used for most people.

I think Squeezebox was actually the best of this price class -- local control via touchscreen possible, 24/192 streaming over s/pdif and USB, software that automatically switches sample rate, etc -- but Logitech never matched Sonos' marketing and it's gone now. My vote for Biggest Audiophile Loss of 2012.

Moving up in price, there are lots of options, all with some additional functionalities: Voco, Nuvo, Auotnomic, etc

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Second issue is as pointed out above: do you want to play different music streams from the same source. If so, you must go Sonos.

This is the primary reason I went for Sonos. When we have parties, different music is played in different zones. The wives like to chat in the dining room and the gents like to hang out in the outdoor living area. The ladies like soft music and the guys like background music with some drive. Makes the shots go down easier. LOL.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I feel a little off-pace by saying that I was just exposed to SONOS last week. To say that I'm blown away is gross understatement. No exaggeration. To have a system that can be setup this simply, offer so many configuration option - all very EASY - and almost unlimited and EASY control for the consumer is an amazing thing. To my mind, it's the perfect compliment to the ipod, tablets and all the other non-analog gizmos that we can't seem to live without. I'm seriously thinking of buying the router attachment and some of the speakers for the garage, laundry room, blah blah blah.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've been using SONOS for years now (since 2007) and I'm a huge believer in it. As FrantzM said it's completely idiot-proof and has some useful features which you wouldn't always consider until it's too late.

It maintains perfect audio synchronization between zones (which is very useful in a whole-house implementation).

With the latest software version you can stream the contents of your iphone, ipad, or ipod touch via wifi.

It easily handles grouping of zones (groups can be built and destroyed at will) for content and volume control.

Many of the devices have an analog input which is useful for streaming an outside source. I've considered it for playing LPs at parties, but it could also be useful for streaming TV audio

It supports just about every internet music service available including the add-on internet streaming service for SirusXM. I'm quite partial to MOG which, on the sonos, will allow me to build a playlist using tracks from MOG as well as tracks in my own library.

The sound quality from the S3 and S5 all-in-one boxes isn't bad for whole house use. They're unobtrusive and require nothing more than a power cable. WAF is typically very high with these.

We have 4 zones at home, 3 at my office, and 3 at my wife's office. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I do wish they had a version that would stream hi-res files, though.

I am a devoted Squeezebox Touch user...tough to beat...digital out/analog outs, up to 96/ khz stock (192 Khz with EDO), USB input, wired/wireless....etc

Can you tell me how the Sonos system compares feature wise, in detail? Thanks.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I went for Sonos too and then got myself an iPad as controller which is quite superior to their own. So there mustn't be an apple/sonos conflict, they interact very well. Steppingit up a notch, I run a Benchmark DAC1 after the sonos as well. And of course a service like Spotify integrated makes wonders in listening and having guests. Just leave the pad around for guests to add their music, and if you like what you heard, you can check the playlist later on...

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I am a devoted Squeezebox Touch user...tough to beat...digital out/analog outs, up to 96/ khz stock (192 Khz with EDO), USB input, wired/wireless....etc

Andre

For audiophiles the Squeezebox may be a solution. For every day people or even audiophile looking for background/party music . The Sonos is the solution.
To start a SONOS system , you buy SONOS Bridge: About $90
Then you can simply Add their wireless speakers almost anywhere in the house. Each Wireless is a Zone.. You can combine two speakers for stereo ...
Or their amplified Zone Player (ZP-120?)to which you attach your speakers of choice
Or their Zone Player (ZP-80 or 90?) to which you attach an AVR/Amp/Active Speaker
If The Wireless doesn;t reach .. You add a bridge to extend the SONOS wireless Network .. Place midway between where it doesn;t reach and where it does ..
Each SONOS Terminal (Speaker, Player, Amp Zone PLayer, bridge, etc) you buy increase the range/reach of the system
it can be controlled with a PC, MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android, iTouch, etc.
You can share the Library on any iPhone/Pad/Touch or Android with the Sonos system once it connects to the WiFI network
It plays music off ANY PC or MAC connected IOW whatever is your library once you're connected to the WiFi Network can be streamed anywhere in the house.
Reliable and simple. Not much technical knowledge required
Oh I forgot! you can connect a NAS to it an then it plays different music from the same NAS in any of the Zones.. Can be expanded to a lot more most people would care about more than 12 Zones. Zones can be grouped very simply.

No it doesn't play 192. It however has USB and TOSLINK/SPDIF connections . It has no audiophile pretenses and is utterly unfriendly with IR remote control. Doesn't cost much and sound is OK .. Oh they have a , of course, wireless sub for their speakers.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Main differences: Sonos digital out tops out at 16/44.1, inferior jitter specs (via Stereophile) no touch screen on head units, dedicated system app rather than web app which can be easier to deal with, growing family of products.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I went for Sonos too and then got myself an iPad as controller which is quite superior to their own. So there mustn't be an apple/sonos conflict, they interact very well. Steppingit up a notch, I run a Benchmark DAC1 after the sonos as well. And of course a service like Spotify integrated makes wonders in listening and having guests. Just leave the pad around for guests to add their music, and if you like what you heard, you can check the playlist later on...

There was a conflict initially with Lion. It took a month or two for Sonos to come out with the software patch and everything was fine again. Next time I even think of upgrading OS, I'm checking with Sonos first. :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Main differences: Sonos digital out tops out at 16/44.1, inferior jitter specs (via Stereophile) no touch screen on head units, dedicated system app rather than web app which can be easier to deal with, growing family of products.

Excellent.. thank you. The limitation of 16/44.1 would hardly be a deal killer for 99% of users.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre

For audiophiles the Squeezebox may be a solution. For every day people or even audiophile looking for background/party music . The Sonos is the solution.
To start a SONOS system , you buy SONOS Bridge: About $90
Then you can simply Add their wireless speakers almost anywhere in the house. Each Wireless is a Zone.. You can combine two speakers for stereo ...
Or their amplified Zone Player (ZP-120?)to which you attach your speakers of choice
Or their Zone Player (ZP-80 or 90?) to which you attach an AVR/Amp/Active Speaker
If The Wireless doesn;t reach .. You add a bridge to extend the SONOS wireless Network .. Place midway between where it doesn;t reach and where it does ..
Each SONOS Terminal (Speaker, Player, Amp Zone PLayer, bridge, etc) you buy increase the range/reach of the system
it can be controlled with a PC, MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android, iTouch, etc.
You can share the Library on any iPhone/Pad/Touch or Android with the Sonos system once it connects to the WiFI network
It plays music off ANY PC or MAC connected IOW whatever is your library once you're connected to the WiFi Network can be streamed anywhere in the house.
Reliable and simple. Not much technical knowledge required
Oh I forgot! you can connect a NAS to it an then it plays different music from the same NAS in any of the Zones.. Can be expanded to a lot more most people would care about more than 12 Zones. Zones can be grouped very simply.

No it doesn't play 192. It however has USB and TOSLINK/SPDIF connections . It has no audiophile pretenses and is utterly unfriendly with IR remote control. Doesn't cost much and sound is OK .. Oh they have a , of course, wireless sub for their speakers.

Thank you Frantz...great info. No audiophile pretensions? I like it already!

A couple of follow ups..

Audio transmitted strictly via WiFi, correct? No Ethernet option like Squeezebox?

What is the function of the USB?

Thanks again!

Secondly...

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thank you Frantz...great info. No audiophile pretensions? I like it already!

A couple of follow ups..

Audio transmitted strictly via WiFi, correct? No Ethernet option like Squeezebox?

What is the function of the USB?

Thanks again!

Secondly...

Both of the zone player head units, ZP90/120 can work via Ethernet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing