Beatles Vinyl Box...sorry. cut from 44.1 Khz digital files...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sorry Vinyl heads..the Beatles vinyl box was cut from 44.1/24 bit digital files.
There was all sorts of reports about it being cut from 192, 96 etc...

Well..Mikey got to the bottom of it:
http://www.analogplanet.com/content...an-magee-talks-about-mastering-beatles-lp-box

Can't wait to hear all you guys wax poetic about how much more "organic" it is. LOL.

There are already reports of noisy, warped pressings. Best of luck.

I have my noiseless USB 24 bit USB stick.:cool:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Sorry Vinyl heads..the Beatles vinyl box was cut from 44.1/24 bit digital files.
There was all sorts of reports about it being cut from 192, 96 etc...

Well..Mikey got to the bottom of it:
http://www.analogplanet.com/content...an-magee-talks-about-mastering-beatles-lp-box

Can't wait to hear all you guys wax poetic about how much more "organic" it is. LOL.

There are already reports of noisy, warped pressings. Best of luck.

I have my noiseless USB 24 bit USB stick.:cool:

No need to be sorry when the good beatle vinyl...MoFi and Parlaphone already exists...analog sourced.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Was all over the SH Forums as well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Really, this should come as no surprise. I and many others predicted this would be the case. I also think it supports the idea (mine and probably others) that most of the music industry and music buying public have different reasons for "preferring" vinyl than some audiophiles. I personally suspect that vinyl's current minuscule market share would be cut in half or more if the only people who bought LP's did so for the perceived "better" sound quality, but we could argue about that endlessly; oh that's right, we already do. :D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Really, this should come as no surprise. I and many others predicted this would be the case. I also think it supports the idea (mine and probably others) that most of the music industry and music buying public have different reasons for "preferring" vinyl than some audiophiles. I personally suspect that vinyl's current minuscule market share would be cut in half or more if the only people who bought LP's did so for the perceived "better" sound quality, but we could argue about that endlessly; oh that's right, we already do. :D

I agree totally.

You know what makes this even worse? The mastering engineer in charge of the project says, in a phone interview with Mikey, that
a $995 Benchmark DAC1 was used in the final D/A conversion for the cutter.

There is no doubt this was a scheme to exploit and profit from the current hipness of vinyl.

These discs are essentially mastered from a CD. Or more accurately, it is the USB stick that has gone through a Benchmark DAC1 .

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's an easy $15 MIL retail sale (50,000 copies x $300), but really a small number so there wasn't much point in providing a better product. If they could be sure that the vinyl market was big enough to move into triple digits the mastering would have taken a different turn...JMO.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I for one won"t be buying this LP set.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It would have been a lot better if this had broken a year from now, after 12 months of online enthusiasm over the superior musicality of the vinyl. Ah well. It was a great giggle last year or the year before when a bunch of folks suddenly "discovered" that their high-end, hi-res downloads were upsampled from redbook, having not noticed anything amiss prior to the story breaking.

I guess the audiophile internet can't be that much fun all the time.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It would have been a lot better if this had broken a year from now, after 12 months of online enthusiasm over the superior musicality of the vinyl. Ah well. It was a great giggle last year or the year before when a bunch of folks suddenly "discovered" that their high-end, hi-res downloads were upsampled from redbook, having not noticed anything amiss prior to the story breaking.

Tim

I doubt seriously that any analog lover was/is going to crow over LPs sourced from 24/44.1.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think the blue box Parlaphone set is as good as you can get on reissue vinyl. The original UK and even some US LPs are the best, but good luck on finding those in audiophile mint condition. Not only am I not surprised by the redbook rez of the new reissues I am very skeptical of compression. Don't worry, they'll sell out and no one will be the wiser (but us).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I doubt seriously that any analog lover was/is going to crow over LPs sourced from 24/44.1.

Probably not. And surely not with a lowly Benchmark.

Tm

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Tim

Good one Tim. Yes, it would have been a gas to watch them gush over how the Beatle LP's blew away the digital.

I must comment on one thing..as far as high rez downloads... a very tiny percentage of downloads were found to be
upsampled, and those that were fake were immediately outed on the internet. I can tell you it was no different when the firs
CDs were mastered from LP production tapes, and the first SACD's were upsampled PCM.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think the blue box Parlaphone set is as good as you can get on reissue vinyl. The original UK and even some US LPs are the best, but good luck on finding those in audiophile mint condition. Not only am I not surprised by the redbook rez of the new reissues I am very skeptical of compression. Don't worry, they'll sell out and no one will be the wiser (but us).

I own two copies of the "blue box" EMI Parlaphone LPs. I consider them to be very special-at least they are to me. And I agree with Mike that both Revolver and Rubber Soul have good bass and highs with the nod going to Rubber Soul for the better/deeper bass between the two.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I own two copies of the "blue box" EMI Parlaphone LPs. I consider them to be very special-at least they are to me. And I agree with Mike that both Revolver and Rubber Soul have good bass and highs with the nod going to Rubber Soul for the better/deeper bass between the two.

From Sound On Sound, interview with Abbey Road mastering engineers:

Extensive reference was made not only to the original CDs, but also to the vinyl albums — which, in some cases, represent the definitive versions as far as listeners are concerned. These had been cut at Abbey Road, meaning that the team had access to the original cutting notes as well as the resulting discs. “It’s very interesting to see what was done,” says Guy. “Quite often, not that much. They had to filter quite a bit of the low end off to get it on and cut a loud vinyl, and then obviously add top towards the centre [to compensate for so-called ‘diameter loss’].

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Plenty..but not reflective of what was on the tapes.

And how would you know unless you heard the actual tapes?? Do you not think that EQ was applied during the latest remastering to digital?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
From Sound On Sound, interview with Abbey Road mastering engineers:

Extensive reference was made not only to the original CDs, but also to the vinyl albums — which, in some cases, represent the definitive versions as far as listeners are concerned. These had been cut at Abbey Road, meaning that the team had access to the original cutting notes as well as the resulting discs. “It’s very interesting to see what was done,” says Guy. “Quite often, not that much. They had to filter quite a bit of the low end off to get it on and cut a loud vinyl, and then obviously add top towards the centre [to compensate for so-called ‘diameter loss’].

His two statements don't reconcile with each other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing