Audio Science in the Service of Art

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
I have read all the posts. I must admit, most of the tutelage frightens me with all the numerous problems and their anecdotes.

I look at it this way, I have set my speakers in order that the primary sound reaches me well first. The MRT is 5' from the side walls. The floor is sumptuously carpeted. The ceiling is 10' high, and well broken by heavy molding into 12 squares.

The MRT consists of 17' of bipole tweeter, a 4.5' long mid driver, and a 10 sq. ft bass panel. I know this sounds like a speaker designed by a drunk, but I have to tell you, playing piano at full volume sounds real at any listening position. That should be easy to imagine, a piano is much the bipole.

This isn't the best room. Those who can afford it, or buy into a really big space, have the means to create a marvelously good sound. I have heard the same speakers in such a room. They simply disappear.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
i have read all the posts. I must admit, most of the tutelage frightens me with all the numerous problems and their anecdotes.

I look at it this way, i have set my speakers in order that the primary sound reaches me well first. The mrt is 5' from the side walls. The floor is sumptuously carpeted. The ceiling is 10' high, and well broken by heavy molding into 12 squares.

The mrt consists of 17' of bipole tweeter, a 4.5' long mid driver, and a 10 sq. Ft bass panel. I know this sounds like a speaker designed by a drunk, but i have to tell you, playing piano at full volume sounds real at any listening position. That should be easy to imagine, a piano is much the bipole.

This isn't the best room. Those who can afford it, or buy into a really big space, have the means to create a marvelously good sound. I have heard the same speakers in such a room. They simply disappear.

mrt?

P

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Phelonious, MRT stands for Mid Ribbon Tweeter. A cross section of the assemblage takes the shape of a five spot on a die.

And you have one that's 17 feet long? That must be hard to place in the room.

:)

P

kerembasaran

Nov 20, 2012
istanbul
Mr. Olive,

I have studied the patent on your work for predicting loudspeaker preference. I congratulate you on this valuable work. I'm a DIY builder and an engineering student in a vibration and acoustics programme and I have learned a lot from your publications.

My masters thesis will be about sound quality of tweeters and while doing comparisons on different drivers, I want to include the results of your metrics as well. I have already written a Matlab code to calculate the metrics and did some tests on my loudspeakers. I found very close values (e.g. AAD between 2dB to 2.5dB) for different loudspeakers. I want to know if these values are correctly calculated and how they measure to other speakers. Do you happen to provide sample measurements and calculation results for those metrics?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing