Chicago 2013 Axpona Show

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A heads up to all tapeheads (or interested audiophiles) who will be attending the Axpona Show scheduled for March 8-10, 2013 in Chicago.

I will be hosting two-one hour sessions dealing with the topic of reel-to-reel machines and tape on both Friday and Saturday afternoons. I've invited several people to participate on the panel but everyone here should feel free to make suggestions for speakers (or topics)!

In addition, Greg Beron of United Home Audio will on Friday and Saturday evenings, be playing some extraordinary reel-to-reel tapes for anyone there who wants to drop by his room.

More details to come as they become available.

Last edited:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
A heads up to all tapeheads (or interested audiophiles) who will be attending the Axpona Show scheduled for March 8-10, 2014 in Chicago.

I will be hosting two-one hour sessions dealing with the topic of reel-to-reel machines and tape on both Friday and Saturday afternoons. I've invited several people to participate on the panel but everyone here should feel free to make suggestions for speakers (or topics)!

In addition, Greg Beron of United Home Audio will on Friday and Saturday evenings, be playing some extraordinary reel-to-reel tapes for anyone there who wants to drop by his room.

More details to come as they become available.
I should be able to get to this, as I live in Evanston, IL and plan to do so throughout 2013 and even 2014.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I should be able to get to this, as I live in Evanston, IL and plan to do so throughout 2013 and even 2014.

Great look forward to seeing you and other WBF members!

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Interesting. I've never been to a show before but this one might be close enough for me to get to. Is it possible to cover a good chunk of a show like this in a day?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting. I've never been to a show before but this one might be close enough for me to get to. Is it possible to cover a good chunk of a show like this in a day?

Since it's the first time for a show in Chicago since the demise of the Summer CES Show over a decade ago (?), it's hard to tell. Best bet is to check the website and see how many rooms/exhibitors have signed up. But from what I'm hearing, it'll be a good sized show.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Well, here's what is happening with United Home Audio at Axpona 2013.
Three rooms will have UHA decks this year.
Please note: The MBL Reference room will have a UHA deck for the after hours Master Tape events ONLY.

Room 931:
UHA New Phase11 deck with all new "G3" preamp.
The New Luxor EL-34 mono amps and Balanced Preamp.
MBL 116F Radialstrahler Speakers.
Here is a chance to hear the MBL 116F Radialstrahlers with an all tube amp and preamp.
After hours Master Tape event Friday & Saturday 8pm till 10pm.

Room 705:
International Phonograph Inc.and Jonathan Horwich
UHA Phase11 Tape Deck
TAD Speakers
Not sure what amps yet, maybe Jonathan can let us know.
Jonathan will be playing lots of his IPI tapes and actually some tapes he purpose recorded just for reel to reel playback, no CD no LP, just tape!
Excellent idea for the new Analog Tape Movement!

Room 933:
The MBL Reference System featuring the amazing 101MK2 Speakers, 9011 mono amps and the 6010 preamp.
After hours Master Tape event Friday & Saturday 8pm till 10pm.

We'll have some great tapes playing all day long and for the after hours events (of course) some adult beverages.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Greg-I immensely enjoyed your after hours show at RMAF 2012. I'm the guy whose room was a couple doors down from your room and the first night you were playing the Sgt. Peppers tape and I wanted to knock on your door and ask to come in! I will be going to Axpona and I look forward to your after hours show again.

Mark

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Dear All,

Greg asked I fill in what my room will contain at Chicago Axpona. I will be playing my jazz master tapes. That is my main line. As Greg mentioned I have started a new series of tapes which are recorded for tape only. I record just enough music for a reel of 10.5 inch at 15ips. As well, I'll have copies of my older jazz master tape for jazz nuts. So both types of tape will be there, older stuff and the new stuff recorded just for my tape program. The equipment present will be the very equipment I use for my mastering and recording of jazz. I maintain a certain standard of sound and I choose my equipment with that in mind.

Here is the list:

Room 705:
International Phonograph Inc. (Jonathan Horwich)
UHA Phase11 Tape Deck
TAD Reference One Floorstanding Speakers
The Inamorata Stereo amp by Jeff Wells Audio (amazing amp for a very reasonable price) as well as the Lamm M2.2s mono blocks.
Lamm line level preamp and phono preamp
Artisan Fidelity Achates turntable

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sounds like a great initiative , if it was around the corner , i would have certainly come , look forward knowing some more about tape , which is virtually not shown with overhere, ive heard it only once :confused:

Last edited:

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Just got a (one way for now) ticket to Chicago for the show. Look forward to seeing you all there. May bring a preamp and a Stella to play software on.

Charles

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I will be coming in a day before the show to attend a Hi-Fi event at Audio Consultants featuring Magnepan 20.7's, Amphion, and Wilson Audio Maxx3's. It would be nice to meet Myles as I have read many of his posts on the forum. :b

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Had a great time at the show. Seemed to be VERY well attended, with folks driving for many hours to get there (Detroit, St Louis, Central Indiana and Iowa) and the organizers seemed happy. Would opine that there will be a return show next year.

The two tape seminars went quite well. Thanks to Myles for arranging it and my fellow cohorts Greg, Doc and Jonathan Tinn (filling in on Sat). Thought we covered the subject quite well in the allotted time. Had 35-40 attendees on Sat and a dozen or so on Sunday. The Sat seminar was recorded and may be available online sometime. Someone keep an eye out for it and let us know.

Greg B superbly represented tape (only) playback in his United Home Audio room, which drew many listeners during show hours and (according to Greg) apparently continued into the wee afterhours of Friday and Saturday. I wish to congratulate him for the resources he is expending to commercialize the medium and keep the "wave growing". Doc commented to me that apparently tape manufacturers are seeing quite an upswing in blank quarter-inch tape sales.

I gave a few tape demos in Dave Cope's Audio Note Suite. It never ceases to amaze me how the medium, when well presented, can transfix listeners who have never experienced it before. In one demo, three young guys (there were a lot of youthfulls at the show - even a few families!) happened to be in the room when I started and remained glued to their chairs for the next hour. When the session ended, the eight or so attendees just sat quietly for a few moments, perhaps savoring the experience; returning to mundane reality; or simply waking up. Tape sure stretches the limits of audio reproduction and the emotional connection that the medium is capable of.

Keep your heads clean and your tails out!

Charles

On another note - Peter Lederman(sp?) of Soundsmith gave a fascinating seminar on Phono cartridges; their types, design challenges and his approaches to the problems - in addition to some very helpful hints on setup and maintenance. Hopefully the taped Sat seminar will also be available online sometime.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'll have the tape seminar video edited within a week or so. I thought it went really well. If I was on the panel I would have also talked about 7.5s 1/4s, there are 1000s of titles available (secondhand) and the sound is mostly exceptional. You can have two decks... one for the new 15s and one for the old 7.5s 1/4s (or a 1500 or 1520 to play both).

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Hi Peter,

Thought I mentioned quarter-track at both seminars - maybe only the second one. Can certainly add a second 1/4 track PB head in many pro/prosumer headblocks OR replace the erase or record head with one in limited space applications (of course you then give up record capability)

Cheers

Charles

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If I was on the panel I would have also talked about 7.5s 1/4s, there are 1000s of titles available (secondhand) and the sound is mostly exceptional. You can have two decks... one for the new 15s and one for the old 7.5s 1/4s (or a 1500 or 1520 to play both).

I have never experienced good pre-recorded 7.5 ips ever. The tapes are old and of poor quality. I'm sure there are good sounding ones, but I doubt they compete with well sorted vinyl, at least IME. 15 ips from safety masters...that's another kettle of fish.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have never experienced good pre-recorded 7.5 ips ever. The tapes are old and of poor quality. I'm sure there are good sounding ones, but I doubt they compete with well sorted vinyl, at least IME. 15 ips from safety masters...that's another kettle of fish.

If you ever visit the Philadelphia area, I'll give you a 7.5 1/4 demo that just may change your mind... I've been collecting 1/4s for years and many of them give you the modern tape experience, and quite often, an experience that exceeds LPs.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
7.5ips in two track (not 4 track) can beat vinyl easily depend on the quality of deck, on top still have a lot of well known recordings for select, some famous classic musical player in good recording tape's price gone up to more than $100 on Ebay today and not show to ending yet ( few years ago I paid only $30 of it ), now in 15ips sound quality you can only get very few of those from Tape Project or other than young performers in new recording
tony ma

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you ever visit the Philadelphia area, I'll give you a 7.5 1/4 demo that just may change your mind... I've been collecting 1/4s for years and many of them give you the modern tape experience, and quite often, an experience that exceeds LPs.

perhaps I was hearing the wrong titles. My limited experience had been poor with 7.5.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
7.5ips in two track (not 4 track) can beat vinyl easily depend on the quality of deck, on top still have a lot of well known recordings for select, some famous classic musical player in good recording tape's price gone up to more than $100 on Ebay today and not show to ending yet ( few years ago I paid only $30 of it ), now in 15ips sound quality you can only get very few of those from Tape Project or other than young performers in new recording
tony ma

I never heard two track 7.5 My experience was limited to 4 track. Perhaps that is the problem.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing