Introducing myself ..Late late.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I have been an audiophile for a very long time. since I was teenager actually earlier . I had audiophile father and uncle. My uncle was also an Electronics technician of the highest caliber and did explain some circuits to me especially tubes ..
I grew up in a house where music was played constantly on good systems, Quad, Celestion, Kef, Ellipsons, Acosutic Research, Advent, Infinity, Yamaha, Dynaco, Bozark, Mac Intosh, Scott, Harman Kardon, Lafayette graced our living rooms but also Garrard, Rabco, Transkriptor, Dua,l B&O , Philips, Grunding, etc..
A good friend of mine ( the father of a friend as a matter of fact) has even better systems than my dad and introduced me to the crazies in TAS ( some people were pretty far out then .. )
I have had some pretty good systems, some of these could be said to be SOTA... I have been an Audiophile orthodox for most of my Audiophile life until recently when I began to doubt of a great many of our audiophile tenets... Mind you I am an engineer and suspect that a good portion of Manufacturers claims were Bovine Manure but .. Cables, they measured different and would be "easily" recognizable ? Huh? Like most audiophiles I had changed cables and found some of these to be the best I had ever heard ... My last cables were amongst the "best" and cost so much they could not dare to NOT be the best :) ... Someone suggested a test .. in which it was very difficult for a serious audiophile to reliably discern his own cables within not so heralded cables .. I tried a similar test .. Some of my friends replaced without me knowing which was which these cables with with thick 4 AWG cables ... I could not reliably discern between my cables and the lowly thick normal copper cables nor thus begun a more inquisitive look into some of our claims our beliefs, our tenets.. I have not become a flat-earther ; I don't hold , nor believe that Everything sound the same but I have come to question and open myself to the science underlying what we hear and generally got much more from my former system once this path was taken. I began paying very close and serious attention to the room and its treatment , looking how much taking care of the frequencies under 500 Hz had an extraordinary impact on the realism of the reproduction, minimizing the early reflection , taking care of the back wave had much more impact on the final sound in a repeatable fashion to tossing amps, cables and other things around...

It became clear to me that the speaker and the room were key .. The stronger determinant in good sound and this close to 84.32% :D .. The rest is icing on the cake ..
My new point of view is that if you get the room /speaker right you have a good system even if you were to use ordinary components.
That electronics make a difference but only when you have gotten the room/speaker right .. then you can spend whatever money you have left there ..
That sources are important .. The better the rest of the system the more important sources need to be.
Cables ? ... Blue Jeans , Belden, Canare, etc are your friends ... If you must go toward an Audiophile-approved brand, try Supra .. Good science and relatively sane price ...
Room Treatment .. if you can, are patient and willing to learn, Do it yourself, else .. Get the service of a serious professional some of them are on this very board.. The BEST investment you will make however long you have been an audiophile or however much you think you know or however much you believe your ears .. Small Rom Acoustics are not the province of moon-lighters .. The underlying Science is not trivial.. You don't need to understand all the Science but you must be able to measure well and be able to correctly interpret your measurements.. Interestingly it doesn't necessarily cost a lot ...
Power ? get it clean Get it right . I believe in the cleanest possible AC and serious grounding , not a simple task by the way.
Digital? The best digital is to me better than analog. NO! I don't consider CD to be the best Digital.. I think the best LP and especially the best R2R are superior to CD .. I could change my position but for now that is where I stand .. I believe the best sound I have heard from a medium was the Hrx from RR and also think the better 24/96 are superior to what I have heard from the best analog R2R or LP.

I hasten to say that my deceased reference system wasn't not lacking in definition and I have heard some over the top systems that could not compare .. I have also heard some truly excellent systems. The recurrent theme in ALL these systems? EXCELLENT ROOMS Acoustics .. One of these being that of Steve Williams, aka admin, aka OB... His room is the key to his system ... Not that his components are lacking but the key to what you will hear at his place is his room make no mistake about this ...With the right room the speakers (X-2 and Gotham) gets you very to 89% of his sound the rest is up to you but with such revealing transducers and room you better get the best electronics you can put your hands on ...

Better late than never

Frantz

Last edited:
Welcome Frantz. We are in agreement about the importance of the loudspeaker, and its acoustical interaction with the room. In my view, if we can solve those two problems it will significantly advance the quality and consistency of music recording and reproduction more than any other audio technological advancement in the next decade.

Thanks Guys. Last system went under the rubles ... For now a BenchMark DAC HDR with Denon D-5000 headphones and Music Server , (Apple Macbook Pro and DIY Windows Server with SSD, 8 GB RAM, and External Storage) .. Next move will be toward larger space with dedicated, professionally treated Room for Audio, speakers under consideration for now is the Evo Acoustics MM2 , sane price and since I will use at least 4 ( indeed!) DIY subwoofers (Dual 15 inch in sealed box driven by 2000 Watts each), I am not seeing the advantage of the MM3. a TacT Preamp is in the thinking as well ...
I must say that I am tempted to go in the interim with the speaker Marty recommended the B&G 52? and use it with Odyssey Karthago amps and Gedlee Passband subwoofers .. for a under $4K total system since I already have a decent preamp/DAC. For now it is the headphone system ... A blessing in disguise The better headphones are orders of magnitude more accurate than the best speakers .. What you miss is the impact the, tactile sensation plus the music sounding right inside your head is not always the most interesting sensation..

Frantz

Last edited:
and since I will use at least 4 ( indeed!) DIY subwoofers (Dual 15 inch in sealed box driven by 2000 Watts each), I am not seeing the advantage of the MM3. a TacT Preamp is in the thinking as well ...Frantz

In my very biased opinion, the TacT will be the best way to go with external subs. Are you living in the US these days? If so, where?

Audioguy

I had in mind to use the Behringer DXC2496 with the subwoofers and leave the rest of the spectrum untouched .. I am close to certain the Behringer is even less user friendly than the TaCT. It is however exceedingly cheap at less than $250 .. Of course it will only be used with the subs ... It won't have automatic correction but can as fine grained as I need to and coupled with the (free) REW and the inexpensive (100$) TrueRTA, I should be able to obtain a pretty good in room response. I will loose the upper range correction the Tact is capable for , for now I remain skeptical about touching anything over 500 Hz.. rather leave it alone.. and deal with it passively .. if possible. I could be wrong ...
I would not lose sleep over the Behringer "lack of transparency" for anything under 500 Hz it is more than adequate and the sheer cheapness of the solution makes it compelling.

I am for now in Miami Fl ..

Frantz-

Been following your posts over in the cable forum, so I checked this thread.

I agree with you on the importance of the loudspeaker/room interface.

I see you've tried some of the Hrx recordings from RR. If you want to enjoy them in their native resolution, I suggest you try a DAC other than the BenchMark DAC HDR, which, regardless of the original sample rate of the data, converts it to a datastream sampled at 110kHz.

BTW- the same thing happen in the TacT RCS, everything is converted to 24/96.

Dan

Very, very interesting .. I do have a few HRx but my first encounter with the HRx was with a friend's system of a much higher caliber than what I currently have ... with Weiss DAC ... I must say that I was floored by the realism if not the music itself... The best I have heard from any medium...

Now I will carefully audition my HRx samples. I wasn't aware that the Benchmark did any downsampling. A quick call to Benchmark confirmed it.

Hi FrantzM,

I agree with you about the importance of the room.

I recall when I was still staying in my parents house where they had a huge living room of more than 1,000 square feet, I had great sound with a pair of Acoustat 2+2 speakers.

I have moved out but fortunately I have a dedicated music room. It is about 240 square feet. I have tremendous fun rotating four pairs of bookshelf monitors, one pair of electrostatic speakers and one pair of Magnepans.

My experience tells me not to overload a room with a speaker that is too large. My sister who took over my parents house is not an audiophile but is a music lover. She has a pair of two-way small tower-type speakers that sound excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing