Cary Audio SLP05 preamplifier

David

Aug 11, 2012
hello,

what can you say to me about this tubed preamplifier ?

It is a good model ?
how is his sound ?
can it be a good match with SS power amplifiers ?

David

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I own one. It is pretty neutral, but can be tuned by swapping the 6SN7's around ... a bit of a hobby in itself. It seems to work OK with my SS power amp but YMMV.

The biggest annoyance is the lousy remote, which isn't very powerful. This is not helped by the IR sensor which is buried in a pit. The remote won't work unless it is pointing dead on at the preamp.

David

Aug 11, 2012
I own one. It is pretty neutral, but can be tuned by swapping the 6SN7's around ... a bit of a hobby in itself. It seems to work OK with my SS power amp but YMMV.

The biggest annoyance is the lousy remote, which isn't very powerful. This is not helped by the IR sensor which is buried in a pit. The remote won't work unless it is pointing dead on at the preamp.

Thanks Keith (and nice system !)
good news if the Cary SLP05 is neutral ... indeed, i'm looking for a tubed preamplifier for sounstage and and fluidity of tubes ... but I want someting transparent / neutral ... not someting too "tube sound".

thanks

other SLP05 users ?

stargazer

Nov 12, 2012
Singapore
Thanks Keith (and nice system !)
good news if the Cary SLP05 is neutral ... indeed, i'm looking for a tubed preamplifier for sounstage and and fluidity of tubes ... but I want someting transparent / neutral ... not someting too "tube sound".

thanks

other SLP05 users ?

Hi

I have owned a SLP05 Black for a few months now, latest version with new Cary logos and prints on the face plate. The remote is a new design and it is very accurate in sending signals across to the Preamp

I have changed the tubes to NOS sylvania and Hytron CBS NOS, and the Cary SLP05 sounds amazing with speed, and bass solidity. Vocals are fluid.

I matched the SLP05 with a mark levinson 532H and both being full balanced design, matched perfectly

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi

I have owned a SLP05 Black for a few months now, latest version with new Cary logos and prints on the face plate. The remote is a new design and it is very accurate in sending signals across to the Preamp

I have changed the tubes to NOS sylvania and Hytron CBS NOS, and the Cary SLP05 sounds amazing with speed, and bass solidity. Vocals are fluid.

I matched the SLP05 with a mark levinson 532H and both being full balanced design, matched perfectly

Hi
very interesting !!!
thanks a lot

David

Aug 11, 2012
just a question :
does someone has tried to match the Cary SLP05 with a Jeff Rowland power amplifier ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing