Best Sports Car Under $100K

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
whart, a '07 Gt3 can be had in the mid 80s to low 90s range depending on options.

clones can be better than the real thing, im not that proud id drive an RSR clone. i priced it out, you could get a donor 911 with a newer tub and back date it to a '73 with the right VIN number to avoid the emssion hounds in california and be under $100k, this with all the right go-fast bits. theres a ragtag club of scruffy p-car nuts on the west coast that call themselves R Gruppe. they're mostly clones of rare early 911s tastfully done and they're tracked all the time and almost allways quicker than the latest stuff from zuffenhausen.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
whart, a '07 Gt3 can be had in the mid 80s to low 90s range depending on options.

clones can be better than the real thing, im not that proud id drive an RSR clone. i priced it out, you could get a donor 911 with a newer tub and back date it to a '73 with the right VIN number to avoid the emssion hounds in california and be under $100k, this with all the right go-fast bits. theres a ragtag club of scruffy p-car nuts on the west coast that call themselves R Gruppe. they're mostly clones of rare early 911s tastfully done and they're tracked all the time and almost allways quicker than the latest stuff from zuffenhausen.
Not dissing the clones at all, Rob, some are killer and beautifully done. I was just thinking 'out of the box' without having to do much work or worry whether the last guy did it right.

I've owned the Porsche 714, 911 (2), Shelby Cobra 289, Nissan 300ZX, Alfa romeo bertone, and the Porsche Cayman. I cannot fit into the Corvette.

There is no question for me that the Cayman was the most advanced and nimble, but I loved the Alfa best, just total joy in driving and driving actively. Now Fiat has come out with a new one. I have yet to seek one to test drive, but I'm getting there.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
interesting that the Porsche was obviously so well received when this thread started in 2010. Fast forward to today (2017) and most would agree the Corvette Grand Sport would easily eclipse the Cayman. As would the Mustang GT 350R IMO ......

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
interesting that the Porsche was obviously so well received when this thread started in 2010. Fast forward to today (2017) and most would agree the Corvette Grand Sport would easily eclipse the Cayman. As would the Mustang GT 350R IMO ......

Not a Cayman GT-4.

I'll be honest that the C7 hasn't aged well at all. I really enjoyed it when released, but not so much anymore - meanwhile, the 6G Mustang looks better and better and the GT350(R) looks amazing in person.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing