Best Sports Car Under $100K

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Okay,

How about the Honda S2000? Mine is an '06.
Here are my criteria:
Rear wheel drive. Handles better than front wheel drive. Period.
Normally aspirated. My friend's RX7 turbo housing used to actually glow when he'd drive it hard at night here in Phoenix, in the summer.
6 speed manual. This car was never built with an automatic, in 9 years of production. Fine with me.
8,000 RPM redline. Fun! My car goes 122 mph in 5th.
20 MPG driven hard. 25 driven easy, (hardly ever for me).
This car does the quarter mile in 13.9 at 100MPH. That's as quick as most years of the Acura NSX.
Price: $38K new, $20 - $26K used.
The Lotus Elise can beat the S2000, but it costs twice as much, and really can't be driven daily...

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
under $100k, for me two choices:

1. Porsche 996 GT2 (used) was $180K new, a clean used example trades for 70-80k. 520 HP, adustable suspension taken from the race cars, ceramic brakes on some cars. same split crankcase from their competition cars (956, 962, etc). Pedigree in spades and you'll never outgrow this car performance wise, 700 HP on tap by flashing the ECU and larger injectors. vicious acceleration - the ulitmate track day porsche.

2. Nissan GT-R (new) best all-rounder, maybe better than the GT2 when you consider utility as a daily driver. id buy one this sec. if the wife said yes.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
under $100k, for me two choices:

1. Porsche 996 GT2 (used) was $180K new, a clean used example trades for 70-80k. 520 HP, adustable suspension taken from the race cars, ceramic brakes on some cars. same split crankcase from their competition cars (956, 962, etc).
Pedigree in spades and you'll never outgrow this car performance wise, 700 HP on tap by flashing the ECU and larger injectors. vicious acceleration - the ulitmate track day porsche.

2. Nissan GT-R (new) best all-rounder, maybe better than the GT2 when you consider utility as a daily driver. id buy one this sec. if the wife said yes.

Ditto...yep, both of these machines are stellar solutions, really super! :cool:

Cheers!
ALF

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
There is brand spanking new white GT-R screaming at me 5 miles down the road. I pass the Nissan dealer each day and drool. Black wheels, mean machine. But I'd rather drive a 2nd owner Porsche, had a 993 for a couple years and loved it... the last of the air cooled machines.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The problem I have with the Nissan is that its looks do not match the price bracket IMO (beauty is in the eye of the beholder so apologies to those that do love it), also in a way it reminds me of a Mitsubishi Evo, which from what I remember is a lot cheaper and also with incredible performance and engineering.

Cheers
Orb

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Rice anyone?

I suspect that this entry will exceed the budget the op stated, but it should prove to be one wild weekend ride.

The all-wheel drive 2013 NSX Concept is rumored to have 406 hp, accelerate 0-100 kph is less than 5 sec., and use electric motors in interesting new ways.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The problem I have with the Nissan is that its looks do not match the price bracket IMO (beauty is in the eye of the beholder so apologies to those that do love it), also in a way it reminds me of a Mitsubishi Evo, which from what I remember is a lot cheaper and also with incredible performance and engineering.

Cheers
Orb

I have the same grips with this car. It looks ..well .... like a Nissan... I love the BMW M3 fan so I will repeat my preference for it .. Good enough to challenge and/or surpass several super cars (including the GT-R) and several Porsches (including the Bosxter-S) and others, but civilized enough for a trip to the supermarket, the grocery or downtown... with adults in the back seat ... of course the two door but not the convertible version ...

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Firstly I really love cars allot, I see lots of great choices above too and just shows as in audio it comes down to a personal preference for what ever the reasons may be so really theres no BEST.

Cars sure are far from being cheap and most if not all as soon as you sign that paper loose their resale value, many of the vehicles mentioned you can pic up with low mileage and save large but if we are to stay on course with the OP's question under $100K to me it limits what is available.

So my pic would be Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG

I love the look of the car, hard top convertable, most defiantly a fun factor car to drive, you can drive it hard and use as a daily driver.

It seems looking at these two site 1000's of others around the world also agree http://www.slkworld.com/ http://www.puremb.com/forum/forum.php

Here's a posting up against the crazy priced but gorgeous Ferrari Enzo super car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5MA0svuuE4

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Rice anyone?

I suspect that this entry will exceed the budget the op stated, but it should prove to be one wild weekend ride.

The all-wheel drive 2013 NSX Concept is rumored to have 406 hp, accelerate 0-100 kph is less than 5 sec., and use electric motors in interesting new ways.

Yep, that's the one for me.

Checks all my boxes:
- Has all wheel drive (a must for handling and acceleration in my book)
- Torque vectoring on BOTH axles
- Hybrid
- Powerful
- Beautiful (I would mod the 'beak' though)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'd say the Nissan Skyline GT-R would be a good addition to this list. Like the Z06, it's a real super car less a zero on the pricetag.

+1

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I am holding out for this one

the supercharged version should be at least 650 hp ;), and well under $100k

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
funny, one day in April, I saw 3 GT-R's, all driven by men at least 60 yrs old, all going like a minivan :D

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've owned 5 Porches: The 944 ( a poor man's Porche) three 911's and a Boxster. The Boxster was by FAR the most fun to drive. By far. If I were doing it again, I would get a Boxster with a Ruff Engineering Mod -- Boxster with a 911 engine.

Interesting, Audioguy. The consensus on the street would be "YOU'RE NUTS". But most of those crave speed vs. handling.

Please say more!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My .02, based on owning quite a few sports cars that people would regard as pretty serious cars- most modern 'sports cars' are too big, too heavy and are probably more about comfort and horsepower/torque bragging rights, and the odd stoplight drag race, or autobahn style comfort cruise, than anything that really involves the driver, rather than cosseting him. Some don't even offer a real manual transmission. (I know you can snap a shift faster than Michael Schumacher using paddles, and concentrate on your line, without the awkward choreography of foot clutch and stick shift, but in the real world, I'm not interested in milliseconds, I'm interested in an engaging drive). It's almost like the difference between the objectivists and the subjectivists over what makes an audio system 'good.'

I'm excluding really old cars, and most vintage British stuff, because I assume you actually want to drive the thing, rather than visit it at your mechanic's shop. i'm also excluding almost all the vintage stuff that is really worth owning, because most of it is far too expensive today, to own or maintain. (And fwiw, I'd still rather have a short wheel base 250 GT than the 250 GTO that just sold for Van Gogh painting prices).

So, based on my experience in owning a bunch of cars in the Ferrari (six of 'em), Lambo (6 liter Diablo), high-end MB (not really a sports car but a 69 6.3 litre), Porsche (GT2 club sport), etc. category, I'm gonna place my vote with an older Porsche. 911S would be the best but we'd be bumping against the budget. Air-cooled, preferably. With some small amount of work on the suspension, no heavy duty tricks on the motor, no turbos, no blingy wheels. 993 is probably the most up-to-date version of the cars I'm describing, but even it is a little on the heavy side. You could go back all the way to the late 60's with price variations. Leaving aside the few uber-collectable or race oriented iterations, e.g. 73 RS or 993 GT2, most of these cars, bought right, can be 1/2 the proposed 100k budget or less. Fun as hell to drive, actually race-able if you are so inclined and can hold value. Colin Chapman was right about making it light. There is a reason why a lot of the modern 'sports cars' need 5 or 6 hundred horse power. Do you know how much all that electronic junk and comfort and convenience weighs?
Porsche has been winning serious car races for a long time for a reason. The preferred car on the Targa Florio and on the old Nurburgring is probably a Porsche. Fast, good on the twisties and pretty reliable, overall. The newest ones are wonderful, but we're over budget, and if you are going there, spend the money and just buy the Carrera GT, you know, the one made back in the mid-2000's that killed a number of enthusiasts on the street and track. That's the best car I've ever driven, and it was scary fast, you just didn't realize how fast, which was why it was a killer.
Ya just can't drive fast on American roads anymore. (OK, you may find exceptions here and there, but how many of you regularly drive in places like Montana- and is it a sporting experience to drive at high speeds over long stretches? Not that interesting, really).
So, you take your fun at lower speeds. Seeing 'how fast' you can go gets dull pretty quickly anyway. My last 'exotic' was a 1928 speedster from an obscure British company- quite a handful at 55 mph.
I'd also consider a Morgan 3 wheeler, for that bugs in the teeth sorta terrifying at any speed experience. (I haven't test driven one yet, but plan to soon). I have more respect for a tuned Miata than I do for a 550 hp car that weighs two tons. My true love is the really old good stuff at this point, but that's not practical and certainly not cheap. A sports car should be fun to drive, and challenging to you as a driver.
That, to me, like the 'soul' or 'musicality' of a hi-fi system, is what a sports car is all about.

Rupunzell

Dec 26, 2010
Real sports cars should weight not more than 2,000 pounds, mid-engine, two seats, designed to an extension of the driver's body with instantaneous response to the driver's input and follow a line that the driver points the chassis into.

Some examples:

Radical SR8:
http://www.radicalsportscars.com/uk/showroom/radical-sr8-rx.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmDKZ78MOU

KTM, X-bow:
Composite Chassis built by Dallara. A version of this chassis will be used in the Alfa Romeo 4C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7kDFfWm-w

Ariel Atom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4YNkurhLk

Lotus 211. Based on the Elise/Exige chassis trimmed bare to produce a serious performance car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkN3UXJ8BY

Alfa Romeo 4C:
http://www.alfaromeo4c.org/

And no, motorcycles are not faster than any street legal car. This Bertone/Fiat x1/9 has a 2.0liter Lancia turbo engine with near 800 Bhp at the crank. The chassis is not modified much if at all.

FIAT X19 -VS- GSXR1000-VS ZX10R 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqB5Jbed-L8

These cars are driver ability limited. Many times car folks get these cars and have no idea how these cars behave at or near the limit. This usually results in crashed performance cars. Electronic chassis aids don't help, every pro driving instructor I have spoken to says these aids give a false sense of security and usually results in getting the driver way far above their ability with no possible way of recovery when the car goes past it's limits.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Rupunzll,
it is worth noting there are great front mounted engine cars with rear wheel drive that meet your criteria.
A long time ago a peer of mine was also a high performance driving instructor and his favourite car for driving-instructing was one of the better Caterham models.
He also owned back then a Ferrari 355 F1 (a great mid engine car), and purchased/sold various other cars for enjoyment; mix of mid and front engine.
But always loved his Caterham.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Rupunzell

Dec 26, 2010
No, the basic physics does not work this way. While there are technically front-mid engine cars that have their engines mounted far behind the front axle, they are and never will be equal to a true mid engine chassis.

In the objective world of real motor sports, the front engine chassis died in the early 60's and the motor sports world never looked back.

The Caterham began life as the Lotus Seven in the 1950's. What makes this chassis work well is low weight. Even with it's solid rear axle and front suspension borrowed from another British econo car, the chassis works well due to it's rigidity and good design. Colin Chapman gave up on this chassis knowing the design is dated and sold the rights to it's design resulting in the Caterham today.

One very significant factor that is almost never considered is forward visibility for the driver in any car. This is one area where most modern cars fail badly. Front engine cars tend to have longer hoods/bonnets and windshield/driver seating configurations that impair outward vision.

In all true performance cars, the center of gravity must be located at the driver's hip. This is where human's sense of balance is located. By placing the center of gravity and heaviest components (engine/gear box) at this area of human anatomy the driver's sense of the chassis's behavior is greatly improved.

Beyond just mid-engine cars, there is also a performance in mid-engine chassis layout. The north-south configuration is preferred over the transverse mid engine layout for serious motor sports race cars due to gyroscopic effect of the flywheel.

It is worth noting that cars are very much like the world of specialty audio. One look at the high dollar offerings reminds one of how many pretentious high performance items are on the market that appeal to those who are looking for a expensive toy.

Rupunzll,
it is worth noting there are great front mounted engine cars with rear wheel drive that meet your criteria.
A long time ago a peer of mine was also a high performance driving instructor and his favourite car for driving-instructing was one of the better Caterham models.
He also owned back then a Ferrari 355 F1 (a great mid engine car), and purchased/sold various other cars for enjoyment; mix of mid and front engine.
But always loved his Caterham.

Cheers
Orb

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Rupunzil: All pretty much true, but I'm not sure most people think of hard-edged track cars, with the level of driver commitment required, as what they want or need for street driving. You recognize, as I do, that many of the cars that are lumped under the 'sports' category are bloated conveyances, with little real driver involvement. At the opposite extreme are alot of the purposeful vehicles you are focusing on- I'm somewhere in the middle, at least in terms of recommendations on this thread, for a real world sports car. Believe me, I dig driving some of those hardcore cars, like Formula Jr types (although i'm not gonna pretend I'm a great driver, but that's part of the point too- I'm good enough to know I'm no good at that level, which is real racing car stuff, not what most people are even capable of handling, at least without training- and even then, good coordination, and instincts, are going to play a part).
I've been humiliated more than once on the track. :) Hurley Haywood took me for some hot laps around the Barber track in the Carrera GT in Birmingham, Ala. He then turned the wheel over to me. The contrast was a study in why I'm never gonna have a career in motor racing.
So, I think for most people, just having a lithe, nimble car that isn't auto bling but gives the driver real feedback is gonna be closer to a real world car than a Lotus 7, or its progeny. Me, I'll drive anything and everything- I really like pre-war cars and that requires a different skill set. I also wouldn't mind a Ferrari Daytona, i never owned one of those, and even though it wouldn't fit your criteria they are a ball to drive.
Orb- I had a 355F1 that I bought new, and got rid of it within 6 months- it was beautiful, the transmission was horrible and the car was way less fun than the 348 to drive, even though in every respect, it was the better car. Shortly after that, I bought a Berlinetta Boxer, which was a far more demanding car to drive, and even though it was ostensibly a 'mid-engine' car, the motor's center of gravity was too high, and the motor was positioned more like a 'rear-engined' car, rather than a 'mid-engined' car. Lose that one, and you are gone. You could never recover that car. Those are gettable in the slightly over 100k dollar price bucket. It ain't the purchase price, though, it's what it will cost to get the car right and keep it right that will take it way out of budget. (I've seen the one I used to own at car shows and driving events because the new owner isn't all that far from me in the Northeast) BB was still one of my favorites, although it is still far too big to fit Rupunzil's demanding criteria. Short of older Ferraris, which can be costly to maintain, even if they are not the pricey ones to get in the gate, I still think older Porsches are great, real world sports cars, have a great deal that can be done by someone with competent mechanical skills (not me) and give back alot to the driver. There is also a very strong owner/driver community with driver instruction/education, track days and general goodwill. They can also hold value and get serviced without alot of drama.

PS Rupunzil might condone a 246 Dino, but a good one is budget and 3/4s or more depending on the variation. I wouldn't be ashamed to drive that- slow car fast theory. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing