Best Sports Car Under $100K

basaltguy

Sep 29, 2010
Hey guys, I just joined this forum and think your discussion is very interesting, and also very pertinent to my current dilemma. I am currently shopping for a weekend fun car, not an everyday driver and have 45 to 50 K to spend. The two leading contenders are the 2006 or 2007 Carrera S or a 2008 or 2009 Cayman S. At similar mileages they are roughly comparable in price. I have driven both and have found advantages and disadvantages to both. The Cayman is very "seat of your pants" and the go-kart like qualities really appeal to me. On the other hand the bit more speed, extra room (I am a big guy) and the overall refinement of the 911 are hard to pass up.

What do you think. I am also open to other suggestions. The Lotus is not my cup of tea. Thanks.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Porsche is not a sensible choice down here, too low and attracts a lot of eyes..... I have always been an BMW fan, my vote goes for the fantastic M3.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Car I'd want for now - Nissan GT-R. Car I'd want going forward, 2009 Carrera 4S or 2008 Turbo. M3 is a great ride as well, loud and bumpy and fun as heck to drive. Plus you actually do stuff with it. I managed to fit an Epson panorama printer in it (one that prints photos 24" wide by whatever long). Still don't know how I did it and how I got the darn thing out myself. The M3 convertible is also appealing although the steel collapsible roof may change the handling (it's basically a boat anchor when lowered).

Cayman is a nice car - haven't driven the S version. I found it small, as did even a petite woman friend.

As for supercar, just read about the new 911 GT2 RS...incredible car, 4.9 pounds/HP ratio, the best in a production car. Probably near $200k?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey guys, I just joined this forum and think your discussion is very interesting, and also very pertinent to my current dilemma. I am currently shopping for a weekend fun car, not an everyday driver and have 45 to 50 K to spend. The two leading contenders are the 2006 or 2007 Carrera S or a 2008 or 2009 Cayman S. At similar mileages they are roughly comparable in price. I have driven both and have found advantages and disadvantages to both. The Cayman is very "seat of your pants" and the go-kart like qualities really appeal to me. On the other hand the bit more speed, extra room (I am a big guy) and the overall refinement of the 911 are hard to pass up.

What do you think. I am also open to other suggestions. The Lotus is not my cup of tea. Thanks.

From my limited experience, it's hard to drive hard if I'm not comfortable and secured. I'd personally go with the Carrera. On the other hand, the mid engined layout of the Cayman makes for a fun drive indeed. If your Sunday drive is comprised of short runs through twisty roads I'd go with the Cayman.

Personally I use my C63 for longer trips (3 or more hours) where I'm likely to hit traffic between towns and my trusty old e46 M3 for the shorter trips comprised of mountain runs.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I enjoyed the video of the GT, it called to my attention the very minor adjustments that the driver was performing on the brief shots in the cabin thou....the engine sounds cool!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We all know the best

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Italia is one of the most beautiful cars ever to roll out of Ferrari's doors. Unfortunately it seems this car is literally in the middle of a firestorm. At last count, 10 Italias around the world have caught fire. Ferrari is investigating this. :(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hell... for $15k my Honda CBR1000rr will beat ANY street-legal car 0-100mph-0

I chased a Honda with my Mazda Rx-7 with twin turbo and twin rotary engines. A humbling experiencce. Like most cars it was no match in thecurves.

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
We all know the best

Awesome video IMG_1635..jpg ! Our local New England Ferrari dealer had one of these on display at a live F1 viewing event. A great day yesterday watching Brazilian F1 with a lot of fun folks, my son even got to sit in the 430 Spider which is no slouch either, but the Italia is the first Ferrari to hit my radar after owning a number of Porsches.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hell... for $15k my Honda CBR1000rr will beat ANY street-legal car 0-100mph-0
Staying with your theme Bruce.
IMO one of the best sports cars was the Honda Integra Type R (not the current model) because it was one of the few cars I have owned and driven that actually "speaks" to you in terms of handling and a good way to learn about balance/handling/braking.
Was this car that taught me best about changing gear and balance setup for corner-braking being so critically related, I have owned and driven other sports cars that have far better performance but then they were never as satisfying in what they gave back to me in terms of experience, or driving on normal roads while having fun.
In fact I found owning a car with 600bhp and 500torque held me back from many overtaking manouvers here in the UK as I would carry way too much speed into next blind corner (British roads are rather short and twisty in most cases) and it would be dangerous to overtake and suddenly break even with a gap as it may surprise drivers.

Still the 4wd Porche is one of my favourite day to day cars when considering all aspects of a quality performance sports car.
Also I have to say I nearly cashed in some of my shares to buy the Audi R8, it is far better visually than pictures can ever do justice, simpling stunning engineering and looks.
2nd hand I would say its possible be under $100k for the right model/spec.

Cheers
Orb

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
I would have done the Audi RS4 but it came out the year after I bought my S4. It's a really fun family car.

Next year we are looking into the RS7 with the twin turbo V10. I think it's rated at 600 hp and should be even more fun for the whole family. My guess is it's going to be a tad north of $100k though. Gives you the R8 engine in a four door family car.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gregadd, I rode in a RX7 yesterday. I must say it is one helluva fast car:cool:
I was mildly surprised at just how fast it is... IMHO it could keep up easily with most
Porsche's and even most Vette's!
Like you said, not as quick as a Honda bike, BUT then what street car is :confused:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I would have done the Audi RS4 but it came out the year after I bought my S4. It's a really fun family car.

Next year we are looking into the RS7 with the twin turbo V10. I think it's rated at 600 hp and should be even more fun for the whole family. My guess is it's going to be a tad north of $100k though. Gives you the R8 engine in a four door family car.

It does look interesting (nearly identical to the 2 seater it seems) and it is surprising just how great those two top Audis are (never knew about the RS7).
For me I would call them the sensible super cars, and a great drive although servicing costs are a nightmare, but then that applies to them all even Porsche :)
It sort of reminds me of the Honda NSX in some ways, in terms of being a sensible/more practical supercar, yeah it was the V10 I was going to order when it came out as well :)
I still find it strange how ordinary it can look on photo/film but when you see/drive one it looks so much better, if I had not gone to see one the photos would had put me off.

Let us know how if you do end up purchasing one :)
Thanks
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
C63 AMG joined my e46 M3. I'm loving it. Easy to drive around town but go manual sequential and hang on for dear life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing