Best Sports Car Under $100K

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
For us mortal working stiffs, for who the best sports cars ever are out of reach, what do you say is the best affordable sports car?

My vote would go to the Porsche Cayman S followed by the BMW M3 and Corvette Z06. Order could change based on time of day and mood.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd say the Nissan Skyline GT-R would be a good addition to this list. Like the Z06, it's a real super car less a zero on the pricetag.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Too bad the Tesla just breaks the $100k barrier...

Should have said close counts. Had to come up with some arbirtrary number. In any case the Tesla is pretty cool. Love the torque chariteristics of an electric motor. Now if someone solves the range issue it would be even better.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I suppose I should disclose my vote for the Cayman S included buying one.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
New car, I'd buy either a Cayman S or Lotus Exige.

Used opens up many, many possibilities. Low mileage Ferrari Maranello 550's may be had for $80K(!) Potential for nasty maintenance bills, though.... On a more practical level, low mileage - even very low mileage - NSX are an incredible value right now - waaay less than $100K.

Shoot, armed with $100K and some patience, one could find a pretty darned nice series 1 XKE convertible.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
The best cure for nasty maintenance bills is learning to do your own tweaks er maintenance and repairs. Hadn't really thought about used when I started this ride. Oh for a time machine. 50 years ago the GTO of my dreams was just an old race car available for a few thou.

An XKE roadster would be sweet if you can find the really right one. The monocoque can hide all knds of ills.

Wlile a good looking and very capable car the NSX never really got my blood flowing. Somehow even just looking they always seemed a bit sterile. Can't really say more than that. Seems endemic to the Japanese car. Last one I had with character was an old 280Z. Not sure it counts as it was designed by a German.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
CTS-V or Panamera (most Panamera Turbos you see on the street are over the $100k though)

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
New car..... Lotus Exige.
I heard that they stopped making that body style (includes Elise), which is why Tesla is not making any cars at the moment - they cannot get bodies.

Saw the new Lotus Evora in town today, and sat in one three weeks ago..................so much easier to get in and out of, looks better than the Elise, more room and if rumors hold true might even be Cosworth powered as soon as next year. It just needs a removable targa top to complete my automotive fantasy.

http://paultan.org/2008/07/22/lotus-evora-official-name-for-the-project-eagle-22/

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Haven't seen the Evora yet. Is it still as elemental as the Elise? I liked the Elise but wanted something that could be used for a cross country cruise if need be.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am with Les on this .. Porsche Cayman S a car with performances in the upper strata, a real driver's car .. A Sports car .. fun to drive, with remaining, a touch of the uncivilized thing that makes or fun driving .. or the BMW M3 .. a beast .. growling .. low and ready to jump on the open road, Suspension tuned to track like it is on rail .. you comfort be damned ... Include the double clutch tranny and the 19 inch wheels .. Not very civilized but a serious drive and a reliable one too ..

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Haven't seen the Evora yet. Is it still as elemental as the Elise? I liked the Elise but wanted something that could be used for a cross country cruise if need be.

I did not drive it, only sat in it............I'd say it's between the Elise and Boxster. Not kit-car like at all, closer to a Ferrari than that.

Same engine as before I think, only about 150 lbs added to the weight for the child sized back seats.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Hi

I am with Les on this .. Porsche Cayman S a car with performances in the upper strata, a real driver's car .. A Sports car .. fun to drive, with remaining, a touch of the uncivilized thing that makes or fun driving .. or the BMW M3 .. a beast .. growling .. low and ready to jump on the open road, Suspension tuned to track like it is on rail .. you comfort be damned ... Include the double clutch tranny and the 19 inch wheels .. Not very civilized but a serious drive and a reliable one too ..

Hi Frantz,
Guess we have different definitions of uncivilized. The CS's veneer of civiliization is pretty thin. Little loud and with the base suspension a bit rough riding. But the veneer is enough that it does fine on long interstate runs if you must. And the handling is go kart quick. The current M3 especially with the adaptive suspension is downright comfortable. And no need to double clutch though it sounds really sweet if you do. Quite agree with the rest. Relatively reliable and great fun. Either can be used as daily drivers.

The Elise on the other hand is a car I can't imagine running long distance with. Maybe I'm getting old. Expect it would feel like getting ridden on a rail to go long distances in. Looks like great fun though for a weekend run down a canyon road. Sounds like Lotus is trying to add that little veneer of civilization that makes the car a bit more usable overall.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Les, just curious. What made you choose the Cayman S over the Carrera?

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Les, just curious. What made you choose the Cayman S over the Carrera?

Biggest reason? Couldn't afford it. Though in comparing used 911's to the CS the better balance of the mid-engine design was a real contributer. Just felt more nimble overall. I realize this is probably heracy. The extra interior space would have been nice. Very limited in how much the seats can recline for instance. And I have to admit I was really tempted by a '02 Targa. On a different day I could have gone the other way. Or if I could afford the GT3...

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Les, it's a 2+2, which causes a lot of Lotus-owners to wince. Automobile mag just did a comparison between the Evora, GT-R, Z06 and Carrerra S. At the end of the day, the Carrerra was most preferred, but the Evora came in 2nd. A partial summary:
The Evora, as the newcomer to this segment, had the most to prove. Like the best British sports cars, it establishes its brilliance not on paper (although its performance numbers would be impressive among any other company) but rather through the way it makes a driver feel behind the wheel. Compared with the rest of this group, it stands out for its refreshing simplicity and purity. Of course, British sports cars also tend to be demanding, and the Evora is no different. Lotus casts it as a more practical proposition than the hard-core Elise and Exige, and that's certainly true, but the second-place Evora still demands enough sacrifices that it won't be for everyone.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1007_sport_coupe_comparison/index.html

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I'll eventually see the Evora. Can't help but wonder if it's not a 2+2 in the fashion of some Porsches. Seating for ones briefcase. Still sounds like a bit to hardcore for me. The Cayman is about as uncivilized as I'm up for these days.

Probably the funniest thing I seen in a supposedly 2+2 was a friends Alpha years ago. Had a little decal in the rear side window reading that the rear seat was not meant to be occupied while the car was in motion. Since the front seats ended up back against the rear seat cushion when in use I don't know how anyone could have fit back there. And the car wasn't wide enough for the other thought this brings to mind.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Can't help but wonder if it's not a 2+2 in the fashion of some Porsches.
Yes, and even smaller back there than my 1977 911, which you can at least sit sideways in. The structure on the Evora would make sideways seating a little more difficut. Plus the back of the front seats almost touch the front lip of the rear seat. I took photos last month but accidently erased them while trying to delete a single image - they were all lost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing