XV-1s Update

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I listened to Charles Mingus “Tijuana Moods” last night for the first time since I installed the XV-1s cartridge and the Krell KRC-HR line stage. I heard this LP for the first time last night. As good as I always knew it sounded, it was taken to another level last night. The bass and those castanets are something! I was pretty much in awe listening to this recording last night. Highly recommended if you don’t already own it. I can’t vouch for how the digital versions might sound-I only have the LP. No matter what the provenance of my LP is, it sounds spectacular.

And while I’m on my analog high horse, I want to say something about the sound of DSDx1 versus LPs. I listened to a lot of DSD last night because I wanted to and because it sounds damn good. However, when I switched to LPs, it was apparent to me that analog still has more sparkle and life infused in it than even really good digital. I’m sorry I don’t have better descriptive terms, but that is what I thought to myself last night when I switched between the two. Analog just has more life to it than DSD (at least X1). And don’t get me wrong, ever since I have been able to play back DSD files, I really like digital. And this is coming from a guy who used to hate digital as much as any analog lover.

My LP playback has never sounded better now that I have the XV-1s and the Krell KRC-HR. The “HR” stands for High Resolution and it lives up to its name. The XV-1s is hands down the finest cartridge I have ever had in my system.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have always liked Dynavector cartridges myself, my best one has been an XX2 which blended the best of a Benz, Cardas and Linn MCs I had before - good to know they still manufacture good products in the analog world.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
mep -

Enjoy that XV1-s. It's a great cartridge and I think it fits your listening aesthetic.

I also love "Tijuana Moods" -- a perfect musical description of Mingus' drunken, Mexican debauche after a fight with his wife! Originals are terrific sounding and can be had for reasonable prices on Ebay.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
One of my customers has that cartridge on a Talea tonearm with my turntable. He swears by it. I have heard it in a different combination and it is pretty sweet.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Is this the first opportunity to hear a new cartridge with the new preamp together?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One of my customers has that cartridge on a Talea tonearm with my turntable. He swears by it. I have heard it in a different combination and it is pretty sweet.

Peter Clark has used both the XV1-S and 1-T on his Redpoint table along with LAMM electronics and Wilson speakers at CES. Always sounded very nice. One of the biggest problems with Dynavectors was their very low output; at that time, the SUT always compromised the sound unlike today where there are quite a few (like Mark's Krell) phono stages that can handle the lowest output MCs!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I've got my XV1-s on my Telos right now and it's really impressive. Absolutely thunderous bass but I could understand if some folks might consider it a little 'too much' at higher frequencies.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Doc-You don't have your XV-1s loaded down?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Mosin - do you still keep a Mantis in your MC collection? I am very happy with it as well, compared with the XX1 I found it with a tad of more body and fluid. The XV1 and XV1s are many steps above the XX2 from what I have heard.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Is this the first opportunity to hear a new cartridge with the new preamp together?

No, just the first time I played the Mingus LP with both the XV-1s and the KRC-HR. Really, pretty much every LP I play sounds really, really good. It would be scary if I'm leaving any performance on the table (pun intended) by not having the last ounce of tweakdom/set-up accomplished.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Doc-You don't have your XV-1s loaded down?

mep -

XV1-s has only been on the Telos for about a few days during which time I've been dialing in the set up. I have a little more experimenting to do with set up before I tackle loading. Right now I'm running wide open (where my Benz LPS sounds best). Its going to be interesting to see how far this combination can go. I'm very pleasantly surprised what I'm hearing with the XV1-s/Telos. Of course, then it's time to put back on the Benz LPS and compare. :D. Hmmm, maybe I can borrow Lavigne's Ortofon Anna...;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Doc-Since you are running it wide open, I'm not surprised that it maybe a "bit too much" on top. Where is your arm in relation to being parallel?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
mep -

XV1-s has only been on the Telos for about a few days during which time I've been dialing in the set up. I have a little more experimenting to do with set up before I tackle loading. Right now I'm running wide open (where my Benz LPS sounds best). Its going to be interesting to see how far this combination can go. I'm very pleasantly surprised what I'm hearing with the XV1-s/Telos. Of course, then it's time to put back on the Benz LPS and compare. :D. Hmmm, maybe I can borrow Lavigne's Ortofon Anna...;)

:p

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Doc-Since you are running it wide open, I'm not surprised that it maybe a "bit too much" on top. Where is your arm in relation to being parallel?

Rear end slightly higher....

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Mosin - do you still keep a Mantis in your MC collection? I am very happy with it as well, compared with the XX1 I found it with a tad of more body and fluid. The XV1 and XV1s are many steps above the XX2 from what I have heard.
Yes, I do. I have never compared the two side by side, though. However, the Dynavector seemed more lively to my ears. The Mantis has great tonal presentation that is more subdued by comparison, or it seems so with my limited exposure to the XV1-S. It probably comes down to a question of taste, and I like both.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Today I finally had time to further refine set up and to my ears and now the XV1-s is really sweetly singing on the Telos.

Playing with loading with the previous set up (post #11), loading at 100 Ohms improved the top end but slightly darkened the sound and made pacing a bit languid. With further experimentation I've end up with the following:

VTF ~ 2.07 gm
VTA with the rear of the tonearm ever so slightly raised relative to parallel
No loading with the Experience Music Kahn phono pre with internal Slagle SUT

Telos-XV1-s.1.jpg

Initial impression is that this is the best my system has ever sounded, but will reserve final judgment until a few more sessions are completed.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Today I finally had time to further refine set up and to my ears, the XV1-s is sweetly singing on the Telos.

Playing with loading with the previous set up (post #11), loading at 100 Ohms improved the top end but slightly darkened the sound and made pacing a bit languid. With further experimentation I've end up with the following:

VTF ~ 2.07 gm
VTA with the rear of the ever so slightly raised relative to parallel
No loading with the Experience Music Kahn phono pre with internal Slagle SUT

Initial impression is that this is the best my system has ever sounded, but will reserve final judgment until a few more sessions are completed.

How much gain do you have between the line and phono? That might explain the loading effect.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hello Jazdoc ,

Im sorry if i missed it , what amp / speaker combination ....

Regards ,

Einstein Light In Dark Amp with Amperex 6922's matched with current version Daedalus Ulysses' speakers....

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
How much gain do you have between the line and phono? That might explain the loading effect.

Good point Myles. Can't remember right off the top of my head but I know the step up has quite a bit of gain. I'm at work now but will edit post when I get home.

Addendum: 75 db gain...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing