Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Isolation

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    acrylic zing of the GPAs
    what 'acrylic zing' in the GPA would that be?

there is no acrylic in my GPA racks; there is carbon fibre, however. are you specifically saying that 'all' GPA racks sound that way to you? the entry level shelves of the GPA racks are acrylic, btw. the Formula shelves are carbon fibre.

having owned a Basis 2500 tt (which was a fine tt even if mostly acrylic) i am familiar with the tonal shift inherent in acrylic. not sure i'd call it a 'zing'; but it's not stricktly musical to my ears, either.

to me acrylic is a cost effective material which has a good cost value relationship and at lower price points is a good material choice; sorta like digital amps for full range. beyond a certain level it does limit performance.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 05-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Just thought this was an interesting page on the Silent Running Audio website showing their customers listening rooms. Some really nice gear and designed rooms!

http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/Im...tomerrooms.asp

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Yes Mike, I was referring to the GPAs with Acrylic shelves. I have not used the carbon fiber versions. That tonal shift is the zing I mean. It's a tilt that gets more pronounced as the room gets more pressurized. The weight specified rubber fitting drains out the ring but what's left is to my ears a zing. That zing was present as well on my HRX white platter and my Clearaudio turntable in the past. Also present in all my flexi-racks when I was starting down the isolation path.

Nice link, those Craz racks are understated and very sweet looking.
    George, Architect
    M/L Aerius + Tubes + Vinyl

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    Nice link, those Craz racks are understated and very sweet looking.
    I know you as an architect (if my father was any indication) would appreciate how these stands are built. The SRA stands are constructed like fine pieces of furniture (joints like that are rarely seen in furniture today) using real solid pieces of wood that are cut to shape and then modified for optimal vibration isolation.

I am using an Arcici rack which floats everything on three inner tubes, so that none of my gear is touching anything that is touch the floor.

Jay

I have the GPA Monaco rack for my system. The Monaco holds my Amadeus GTA, my Halo C2 preamp, my Bryston 4b-ST and my Bryston 5b-ST. No extra movement at all. I have fallen in my room, bad ballance don't ask, while a records was playing and it did not skip at all.

I rely primarily on the isolation/design of my Adona Signature Rack system for my turntable isolation (in addition to the standard footers for my Teres Certus 450 turntable). The racks themselves have isolation for each shelf which can support approximately 300 pounds per shelf. The Adona platforms themselves are a sandwich of 5/8" thick granite with a special adhesive that bonds to the soft MDF material making up the lower portion of the platform. The proper thicknesses of the granite and MDF with the special adhesive results in a neutral sonic signature.

Here is a photo showing the turntable on the rack:

Additionally, and is visible in the above photo the Teres Certus Control box is sitting on top of 3 Marigo Mystery feet. Finally, and much to Chris Brady's surprise (we found that the Herbies Grunge Buster dots did slightly improve the performance of the turntable), we have placed Herbies Audio Grunge Buster dots (with adhesive) underneath the 3 Teres Certus 450 standard feet.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    My plebian, but effective, solution was a set of of springs robbed from an old box spring set. I eventually made a wooden "box" (open at top and bottom) to hide them, but they worked great! I did tweak the spring rate a bit by tweaking their length, and added a little more dampening with foam inserts in the coils (not sure they really did anything, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time). I was (and still am) one of those strange creatures that actually measures things, and I was able to verify the reduction in noise, rumble, and HD/IMD using test tracks and various test gear.

My boss at the time (owner of a high-end audio store) really hated that the measurements also showed it outperformed the alternatives he was selling...

FWIWFM - Don
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Townsend Seismic Sink under my LP12. I don't know why this isn't more common as it brings the table into a different league. The lads at Linn know this, BUT for some reason don't push it at all, I guess maybe because they are trying to sell their Trampolin, which does nothing compared to the Sink.
    Last edited by DaveyF; 05-06-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast