Turntable Isolation

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I assume everyone believes in isolating their turntable from vibrations be they of the structural, airborne or self generated variety.

What's everyone using out there? Vibraplanes, different types of isolation bases, cones, pucks, combos, etc. What's been your experience with your turntable with these different isolation products?

Myles, try the A10-U8s under your turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That Ikea butcher's block is probably the best value in hifi! I have so many that I've lost count. One thing you may like to try is to use just 3 pucks - one directly under the motor, one near the front, and the other on the side under the arm. Just an idea - because asymmetric loading will throw out more resonances. If the pucks make a triangle, try to make the three sides of the triangle different lengths.

Hi Gary! I'll try out the 3-puck approach as you suggested and see if I can hear a difference. This may sound like a stupid question, but what differences should I be looking for?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't know that turntable you have - it looks like it has some form of two-layer suspension system. You are adding a third with the butcher's block. If it works, and I'm not 100% sure that it will, the first thing you might perceive might be LESS bass - on more extended listening, you may find that the bass is more extended and less boomy. When the bass is better controlled, you'll have a more stable and better imaging, and even better shimmer in the high frequencies.

Or.... nothing will happen and you save the cost of one hockey puck and two felt pads :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Are these worthy considerations ? Kinetic Systems active vibration isolation systems ? I kind of like this table top model. Are they expensive ? No pricing available on the website.

http://www.kineticsystems.com/page532.html

upon further research, they do cost a bit. Looks like a great solution

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Gingko

i have had amazing luck with Gingko audio under all of my equipment. Simple but effective isolation.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have used Kinetics and other isolation systems, in an engineering R&D lab, but they seem like overkill for a TT. However, I am sure folk will jump on them... I built an isolation system out of old mattress springs that cured the "skips" on my old system caused when G'mother walked upstairs and stomped in to tell me to turn it down. :)

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
I had a 1 1/4" slab of granite cut to 22x18 inches and added speaker spikes for a isolation platform for my turntable. I expoxied the speaker cone disc to the top of my rack to prevent sliding. It works pretty good.
plat2..jpg plat1..jpg

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
my turntable rests on a (passive) vibraplane 2210, which rests on a panzerholz+stainless steel (d.i.y.) rack.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
My VPI Scout sits on HRX Mini Feet, on top of my Adona rack. The Adona rack is very good and transformed the sound of the Scout. Previously, the Scout was atop a two inch thick piece of maple cutting board. Unfortunately, my stereo room is on the second floor and like most modern housing, the upper floors give a little, so a light foot was needed when walking by the playing turntable. Fortunately, for me I recently relocated my rack to the side of the listening room and moved my albums to the adjacent bedroom. I say fortunately, because an unexpected benefit was that the weight of all those albums must have stressed the floor cross members that the Adona rack stands on and now the floor doesn't seem to give at all and I don't have to walk lightly when the Scout is playing, anymore.

Reid.Whitney

Jun 28, 2012
Laguna Hills, CA
www.herzan.com
Are these worthy considerations ? Kinetic Systems active vibration isolation systems ? I kind of like this table top model. Are they expensive ? No pricing available on the website.

Hi Rockitman,

Active vibration isolation systems tend to cost more than standard vibration isolation solutions for turntable equipment, but they justify the cost due to the extensive technology embedded within the table. I have seen sorbathane used effectively as well as less expensive "air" isolation tables. Working for a company that sells active vibration isolation systems (Herzan), they tend to be 'overkill' for what you are trying to achieve.

With regards to the table you are referencing, you will want to pay attention to whether they state active-air isolation tables or active-isolation tables. Sadly, this is a simple play on words some companies use for people to think they are receiving active vibration isolation, when in reality they are receiving passive vibration isolation. The active portion of the table is the leveling for load adjustment. There is a substantial difference in the cost and level of vibration isolation support you will receive from the two tables.

Active-air isolation tables typically utilize 'pucks' that float in air allowing for the table receive verticle vibration isolation. The 'active' portion is from the leveling mechanism within the table that stabilizes the level of the top plate due to any adjustment in load.

Active-isolation tables typically utilize piezo-electric sensors that are capable of sensing vibration charactertistics of an environment and actively dampen them out by providing an inverse force.

Working in the business of vibration isolation, you get to understand the various methods and how people represent their products. If you have questions about these techniques, I will gladly share what I know if it helps expand the quality of your audible device.

Best,

Reid Whitney

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia

I installed a Kinetic Systems 2210 under my Micro Seiki RX5000 TT a couple of days ago..all I can say is WOW!

It replaced a borrowed SRA platform. I was expecting a marginal improvement but not the 3X that I got :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I installed a Kinetic Systems 2210 under my Micro Seiki RX5000 TT a couple of days ago..all I can say is WOW!

It replaced a borrowed SRA platform. I was expecting a marginal improvement but not the 3X that I got :)

What were the differences between the SRA and WK? What did the WK run?

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Too bad you had the lights turned off. That would be +105dB and not -105dB when referencing your playback level.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Reid.Whitney

Jun 28, 2012
Laguna Hills, CA
www.herzan.com
Hi Myles, Soundstage increased front to back, side to side and top to bottom. Clarity, sense of ease in flow, less strident when playing the Avantgardes. Check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP3dBigOVWM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I bought a used Vibraplane 2210 off a AGon member. I believe Steve at SOS has increased his recommended price to $2350.

Incredible sound quality coming from your player. Although I do not believe I have an articulated ear to capture the noticeable difference, the music quality was very nice.

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Incredible sound quality coming from your player. Although I do not believe I have an articulated ear to capture the noticeable difference, the music quality was very nice.

Thanks!

After installing this record, I was playing this record quite loud to check whether the needle would skip. It did not :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing