Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Isolation

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

Turntable Isolation

I assume everyone believes in isolating their turntable from vibrations be they of the structural, airborne or self generated variety.

What's everyone using out there? Vibraplanes, different types of isolation bases, cones, pucks, combos, etc. What's been your experience with your turntable with these different isolation products?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    I used a Vibraplane under my now-defunct TT and CD transport. I acquired 2 from a lab that was closing, at dirt cheap price, I was in heaven until I had to ship them ... The cost was not trivial ...much more than I anticipate to crate them and ship them a major and frustrating issue. They are phenomenal. The differences was truly "night and day". Take the TT of the Vibraplane and smack! for anyone including tin-ears .. blind .. It was clear. The most interesting thing about the active Vibraplanne was how they took care of airborne vibrations. If one is not using an active system under a TT the best place for a TT seems to be in an isolated room. Airborne vibrations are difficult to deal with passively, one can construct the TT to be a real sink but the transducer, The cartridge , responds to vibration, that what you need it to do and those coming via the air , it will picik them up too. IMO just like several Japanese Audiophiles do, isolate the TT in another room , if possible. I have not seen people do that very much in the USA ..

Frantz

P.S. FWIW, I am off the Analog train, my late TT will not be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    IMO just like several Japanese Audiophiles do, isolate the TT in another room , if possible. I have not seen people do that very much in the USA ..
    My friend Bruce does that with his Denon TT (and CD player), and he's not even Japanese.
    George, Architect
    M/L Aerius + Tubes + Vinyl

[WBF Founding Member] soundofvoid's Avatar
    Unfortunately I cannot spare another room for my turntable.The rest of the family needs their space too!
    I ended up using spiked "feet" under my turntable that sink into cups made from a different metal (iron/aluminum).
    Underside the cups is a 3mm thick sheet of silicone.The whole turntable rig is on a 3cm granite platform weighing about
    20 kilos.And between the granite and my rack's self is a 8mm thick neoprene layer (found in camping stores).
    Regarding the airborne vibrations i plan to try a thick (1 cm) plexiglass cover with lots of holes cut onto it.
    A friend who is a mechanic said that it might work-kinda like creating a golf ball surface.
    "Now, what will we do without the barbarians?These people were some kind of a solution..."

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    I used a Vibraplane under my now-defunct TT and CD transport. I acquired 2 from a lab that was closing, at dirt cheap price, I was in heaven until I had to ship them ... The cost was not trivial ...much more than I anticipate to crate them and ship them a major and frustrating issue. They are phenomenal. The differences was truly "night and day". Take the TT of the Vibraplane and smack! for anyone including tin-ears .. blind .. It was clear. The most interesting thing about the active Vibraplanne was how they took care of airborne vibrations. If one is not using an active system under a TT the best place for a TT seems to be in an isolated room. Airborne vibrations are difficult to deal with passively, one can construct the TT to be a real sink but the transducer, The cartridge , responds to vibration, that what you need it to do and those coming via the air , it will picik them up too. IMO just like several Japanese Audiophiles do, isolate the TT in another room , if possible. I have not seen people do that very much in the USA ..

Frantz

P.S. FWIW, I am off the Analog train, my late TT will not be replaced
    Two excellent points Frantz. Isolating the table in another room is great all things being equal eg. the IC length isn't exorbitantly long. And with the price of some of the top of the line cables, this could cost a fortune

I played around with Vibraplanes under microscopes years ago. We had this humongous four canister version with a 1 ton platform. That was awesome - but whose floor will support that I actually tried when I wrote for TAS obtaining a VP for review. I spoke with my rep but the President of the company blew me off. Then Steve Klein picked the line up. Guess the Pres finally realized he better diversify his product orientation

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Myles
    That is where Those fancy Phono Preamps would come in action... .. so one would use a good phono Stage and link to the Preamp or integrated with a good cable, ( I know, I know) , it could be an integrated without a phono stage. For the record , I am no longer a great believer .. Lost that belief once I subjected to a slight amount of rigorous testing and came not able to distinguish betwen cables I swore afew hours before were the best I've heard ... a year or so ago... been believing in Cables since I heard What the Fulton Brown in my father's system when I was 18 years old ...late 70's
    Just FYI people, they pop up regularly on e-Bay at more than decent price for the performance level they bring to ANY TT, see THIS. Be forewarned: shipping these items in NOT trivial ...

Frantz

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Custom Critical Mass Systems QXK Black Platinum

It took 3 hours to set up and level all 200 lbs of it but I'd say it was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Custom Critical Mass Systems QXK Black Platinum

It took 3 hours to set up and level all 200 lbs of it but I'd say it was worth it
    Nice What do you think about their new CM isolation products?

What cartridges are you using in the Graham's in the picture?

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Hi Myles,

They don't have the acrylic zing of the GPAs and don't have the murk I associate with medium and hard woods. I think Jason Victor and David put what they do into words better than I can. Suffice it to say I agree with them pretty much totally.

Shown in the pics are a DRT XV-1t run into the MC input with the Urushi body and a Koetsu Jade Platinum run through a Koetsu Step Up into the Lamm MM input.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Hi Myles,

They don't have the acrylic zing of the GPAs and don't have the murk I associate with medium and hard woods. I think Jason Victor and David put what they do into words better than I can. Suffice it to say I agree with them pretty much totally.

Shown in the pics are a DRT XV-1t run into the MC input with the Urushi body and a Koetsu Jade Platinum run through a Koetsu Step Up into the Lamm MM input.

Jack
    Hot stuff! Heard the Dynavector at CES in the Red Point tt and thought that it tracked like a Mutha....f... It tracked bells on one of my lps like no other cartridge I've heard. Did you have the 1-S before?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast