Question about Low-compliance vs High-compliance.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If someone has a MM phonostage and 2 cartridges from the same manufacturer are available, which does he choose? Does it matter? What would be the difference in sound?

I'm looking at getting the Grado Reference Platinum 1, but there is also a Grado Statement Platinum 1. Both are the same price. Both are MI cartridges. One is Low, one is High.

I've had the Reference before and I really like it, but I can get a deal ($150) on a Statement with 100 hours on it, that's if he gets back to me.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-The weight of your tonearm will determine which cartridge is suitable for your arm. High mass arms work with low compliance cartridges and low mass arms work well with high compliance cartridges as a general rule.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-The weight of your tonearm will determine which cartridge is suitable for your arm. High mass arms work with low compliance cartridges and low mass arms work well with high compliance cartridges as a general rule.

Mark - I have a Rega RB250. Would that work?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
If someone has a MM phonostage and 2 cartridges from the same manufacturer are available, which does he choose? Does it matter? What would be the difference in sound?

I'm looking at getting the Grado Reference Platinum 1, but there is also a Grado Statement Platinum 1. Both are the same price. Both are MI cartridges. One is Low, one is High.

I've had the Reference before and I really like it, but I can get a deal ($150) on a Statement with 100 hours on it, that's if he gets back to me.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

John

the compliance is the same on both cartridges (20 Cu) and should work fine with the Rb250, but the output is low at 0.5 mv. A MM phonostage wont have enough gain unless you put a SUT in front of it to boost it by 30 db or more. What cartridge are you currently using?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the compliance is the same on both cartridges (20 Cu) and should work fine with the Rb250, but the output is low at 0.5 mv. A MM phonostage wont have enough gain unless you put a SUT in front of it to boost it by 30 db or more. What cartridge are you currently using?

Rob - What is an SUT? I'm using a crappy Sumiko Pearl right now GRRRRR. The phonostage is actually the phono section of a PS Audio Audio 4.6 preamp. I don't know if that is MM or MM/MC capable.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
sorry, step up transformer. the Ps audio 4.6 has a MC stage and should have the gain you need.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
sorry, step up transformer. the Ps audio 4.6 has a MC stage and should have the gain you need.

Nice! Thank you Sir Rob!:D Now here's hoping the guy gets back to me. I've already sent him 2 emails today and I know I was the first to send one. He posted 2 minutes before I saw the ad.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I hope it works out for you John.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I hope it works out for you John.

Just found out he sold it. I offered him full price, but I think he found someone local or they offered more. Damn...it was a good deal. Anyway, I'm not deterred as they come up fairly often and I'll get one soon enough. Still a bummer though.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How much was it John?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The retail in Canada is $350 and he asked $150 with only 100 hours on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing