Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Not sure about the 105, but I believe in the 95 the power supply upgrade only impacted the analog section and as a digital transport Oppo recommended the 93, so it may be the same for the 103. What does the website say?

---- Very true; the sound quality from the digital connections is exactly the same with both the 103 and 105, and the 93 and 95 (all four of them).
The only variation that could happen sometimes is the gain (nothing to do with change or quality of sound; you just adjust the volume control that's all).

* If one's going to use the player from its digital connections, the 103 (or 93) is all they need.
And the headphone amp is very nice (105) but not made for high-end headphones; the gain is low.

{This post is for you Lloyd.} :b

** And! ..The 103 sounds real sweet from its analog outputs (or Stereo or Multichannel); & better than the 93 (smoother).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is it worth going to the 105 over the 103 if one will use the RCA multichannel outputs for SACD playback?

Lee

Yes. Mains will have better DACs. All channels will benefit from power supply.

---- I agree with Ed; the 105 uses the ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chip (8-ch. on a chip), while the 103 uses the Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC (8-ch. SACD decoding on a chip).
- For the multichannel analog out.

And just for info:
- The ES9018 DAc chip costs $60.00 (when purchased in larger quantity) each!
- The CS4382 DAC chip costs $6.50 (same circumstance) each.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
i decided after my oppo83 broke to run with the 95...i got a good price. should arrive Wed. i plan to use it as a transport into my DAC.

---- Congrats; the 95 is highly rated as you already know, and you should be good till Fall 2014 when Oppo will be releasing the BDP-115. :b

BUT! Do use the analog outs of your 95. ...Even for watching Blu-rays; let the 95 do the decoding and send high quality lossless PCM audio signals.
* Main thing: Set the Multichannel Speakers (bass management, distances, levels) properly.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hey Northstar,

What is the latest on your end? I just ordered a 95 that was being discounted to make room for the 105. my 83 is broken (in multiple places)...and i just thought parts and labor costs (and shipping) were probably not worth it given that a discounted 95 was only a bit more. i will only use it as a transport (plus the occassional blu-ray, dvda...but i am curious if it will make any difference as such as an audio transport or of course for video purposes! any thoughts on this?

- In prior posts we made it clear the analog stage advantages from the 95-105 over the 93-103.

In your particular case, if you are NOT going to use the analog connections of your newly acquired 95, the 103 at $499 is all you needed because the transport between the 95 and 103 is very very similar, if not the same.

BUT! If you got your 95 for somewhere in the vicinity of $750 ($700-800); me I would have got it at that price just for the substantial build quality.

But Lloyd man, you should make 'good' use of those XLR balanced stereo connections.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Alright, here's another good way to look at it:

If your yearly salary (job) is $50,000 or more; get the 105.

And if it is below that, and your monthly mortgage payments are high; get the 103.

---- How's that! :b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for all the advice, Northstar and Edorr and others. Will post observations when 95 has arrived.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oppo BDP-105 - Start of a Pro Review - Secrets ...

---- Oppo BDP-105 Universal Player - Secrets Review - Preliminary

* Keep a close eye on the rest of that review (in testing right now). :b

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am very big on modding, so I sent my 105 to Dan at Modwright. I love tubes in the winter time!:cool:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110992.20

---- Hi Jim,

First, thanx for that link.
Second, I guess you didn't take the time to listen to your 105 from it's XLR (or RCA) analog outs?
Third, keep in touch after you get back your 'modified' (Dan Modwright) 105. :b ...Tubing. :cool:

Cheers

P.S. Jim, I'm just curious; which pre/pro are you using with your soon to be modded 105?
...Strictly for 2-channel Stereo listening?

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, i just got the Oppo 95...Honest Feedback:

I own an Oppo 83 which was modd'd by The Upgrade Company several yrs ago. I am no techie. I do not know what they do. I bought it on a recommendation without A/B'ing a standard Oppo 83...and i liked it. As for Oppo 95, all i know is comparing the TUC 83 and the Oppo 95 is like comparing my a low-end Esoteric or ARC transport to my old DVD player. In fact, the gulf between the VRDS5 transport in the $40K Audio Aero La Source to the TUC Oppo 83 is far smaller than the gulf between the TUC Oppo 83 and the regular Oppo 95.

And this is simply using both as a transport only...into my DAC. As soon as i put in the new Oppo...i actually felt a little sick realizing how much i had spent on this thing and how much worse it was. as a digital out only...i thought for sure it could not matter THAT much. Apparently it does.

To the point, where i just stopped playing after just a couple of minutes and am already thinking of asking about refund policy. I have already stuck my old TUC Oppo 83 back in. Its just that my Oppo 83 no longer plays DVD because laser pickup is only working on Audio CDs...and i figured shipping both ways, parts, labor...may just try to spend a bit more and get the new Oppo 95. Guess not. I am incredibly disappointed...at the same time, i have really learned something. Just hope the return policy holds.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Well, i just got the Oppo 95...Honest Feedback:

I own an Oppo 83 which was modd'd by The Upgrade Company several yrs ago. I am no techie. I do not know what they do. I bought it on a recommendation without A/B'ing a standard Oppo 83...and i liked it. As for Oppo 95, all i know is comparing the TUC 83 and the Oppo 95 is like comparing my a low-end Esoteric or ARC transport to my old DVD player. In fact, the gulf between the VRDS5 transport in the $40K Audio Aero La Source to the TUC Oppo 83 is far smaller than the gulf between the TUC Oppo 83 and the regular Oppo 95.

And this is simply using both as a transport only...into my DAC. As soon as i put in the new Oppo...i actually felt a little sick realizing how much i had spent on this thing and how much worse it was. as a digital out only...i thought for sure it could not matter THAT much. Apparently it does.

To the point, where i just stopped playing after just a couple of minutes and am already thinking of asking about refund policy. I have already stuck my old TUC Oppo 83 back in. Its just that my Oppo 83 no longer plays DVD because laser pickup is only working on Audio CDs...and i figured shipping both ways, parts, labor...may just try to spend a bit more and get the new Oppo 95. Guess not. I am incredibly disappointed...at the same time, i have really learned something. Just hope the return policy holds.

Why not throw in another grand and get the 95 upgraded by the upgrade company?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Wow Lloyd! ...You got the 95 for half price, and all that jazz for only that!

I dunno what to say here. ...The 95 is a Class A+ in Stereophile's Recommended Components.
And he's right on top from several pro reviewers from all around the globe.

Or 1. all these 'pro' reviewers were wrong, or 2. you are right. ;)

Me, if I was inside your skin, and walkin' in your shoes, smokin' the same brand as you do,
I would get a modded 105 by Dan at Modwright.

...Or wait for the 115. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- Wow Lloyd! ...You got the 95 for half price, and all that jazz for only that!

I dunno what to say here. ...The 95 is a Class A+ in Stereophile's Recommended Components.
And he's right on top from several pro reviewers from all around the globe.

Or 1. all these 'pro' reviewers were wrong, or 2. you are right. ;)

Me, if I was inside your skin, and walkin' in your shoes, smokin' the same brand as you,
I would get a modded 105 by Dan at Modwright.

...Or wait for the 115. :b

If you got it for half price no need to return it. You can easily sell it at a profit on audiogon.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't know from whom you bought it, but Oppo's customer service and policies are outstanding.

There are quite a few companies out there modding 95's, at anywhere from about $300 on up to over $2000 (not including the unit itself). Given what you have invested in the rest of your system, it would seem logical to upgrade the 95 if you are unhappy with it. It has better audio and video processing than the 83, so you'd be starting from an inherently better platform.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know from whom you bought it, but Oppo's customer service and policies are outstanding.

There are quite a few companies out there modding 95's, at anywhere from about $300 on up to over $2000 (not including the unit itself). Given what you have invested in the rest of your system, it would seem logical to upgrade the 95 if you are unhappy with it. It has better audio and video processing than the 83, so you'd be starting from an inherently better platform.

Thanks, Gents. Just wishing to share one man's experience. Since i have been savings for 2nd hand SOTA transport...the Oppo was always meant to hold me over until that day comes. i only got the 2nd one when the first one broke and repair might be only a bit less than the 95. But with the quality difference, i think i may try to get the 83 repaired providing the return policy on the 95 holds. Stay tuned.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I use a Oppo 93 into a Northstar DAC32 and it sounds as good as my old GNSC $!8K CDP. I am going with the new Modwright tubed 105 now

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If you got it for half price no need to return it. You can easily sell it at a profit on audiogon.

---- Very true that.

---- From what I've read, Dan from Modwright is the much better choice.
And yes, much much better than the 83 modded from The Upgrade Company.

Modwright is more expensive, but check at AudioCircle and diyAudio to see what people who did it have to say.

Lloyd, right now, you have an excellent machine (the Oppo BDP-95), and you got it for an amazing deal; just don't give up, think clearly, and do what you have to do.

BUT! Remember this; it all depends of your own use in your own system.
The 95 is a first class BD and DVD player, picture (Marvell Qdeo) & sound (DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD) wise, period.
And the sound quality from CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audios, and HDCDs is also very very good.
...From both its multichannel analog out, and its RCA and its XLR balanced outs.
- DSD stream direct, or LPCM; your choice.

The video processor is first rate.
The DACs are first rate.
And both the picture and audio from its digital (HDMI, Coax. & Opt.) and analog (multich., single-ended and balanced) outputs are unprecedent for the money.
Plus the build quality eclipses all other Universal Blu-ray players, except for perhaps the
Ayre Acoustics DX-5 "Universal A/V Engine". ...But that one costs $9,950 so it is twenty times more money than what you paid for your 95.

And the next best Blu-ray player for the masses is the Sony BDP-S790 which also plays SACDs (Hybrid multich. & stereo), and with a dual-core video processor (very fast), 4K upscaling, 3D, 2D-to-3D conversion, Skype support, over 50 streaming services including all the usual suspects, dual HDMI outputs (v. 1.4), digital Coax. & Opt. outputs, soft-touch buttons that light up (on top), two USB ports, ... and that you can get for only $179, or less (watch for Boxing day). ...It also looks very classy. The picture quality for Blu-ray and DVD discs is the same as the 93, 95, 103, and 105 Oppo players. The DVD upscaling performance is equivalent, and it does 24p with DVDs as well, and very good at that too.
The BDP-S790 weights 3.2 pounds, and is less than two inches high. And I love the XMB (XrossMediaBar) user's interface from Sony. Plus it gives you constant separate bit rate for both the video and audio (it's cool anyway).

Some of the biggest movie directors in Hollywood have the Sony BDP-S790 in their ultra high-end Home Theater Cinema system as their primary source! ...And it's a fact.

The Oppo BDP-93 and BDP-95 are already two years old, and their replacement; the BDP-103 and BDP-105 are better, today. ...In several aspects; much faster loader (dual-core video processing), and a better audio quality improvement (smoother and warmer without losing the air, the transparency, the ambiance, the micro details).
...Better analog implementation in both of them.
And they have much more features now with three USB ports, two HDMI inputs, and the 105 has also a digital Coax. and Opt. inputs, plus a headphone amp and preamp. ...And the 105 has an asynchronous USB input; less jitter. ...The 105 you can use as a dedicated preamp with its digital volume control. ...And as an excellent DAC. Wow, that is a lot what the 105 has and can do!

I can keep on and on, but I'm tired now. :b

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It's possible that the new 95 was defective. There is no reason that the 83 should outperform it at the level you report. You might try returning the 95 for a replacement, and evaluate that one against the 83.

Lee

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
It's possible that the new 95 was defective. There is no reason that the 83 should outperform it at the level you report. You might try returning the 95 for a replacement, and evaluate that one against the 83.

Lee

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing