Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Steve, I am simply giving my own opinion in my own words.
I asked questions so people can answer them for themselves.

I think that many people get me wrong on occasions.
Please, don't judge how you think I perceive things, because my vision is way above simple words.

Just sayin' Steve. :b

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
It's really quite simple Bob....

You are equating "high end" with "most expensive" and that just isn't always the case

I have always known why you are a founding father.:cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Isn't it amazing all the DACs (USB asynchronous, DSD, 32/352, Hi Rez music streaming, ...) that are in the market now!
And at prices from as low as $200, and up to $20,000+.

Two comes to mind here:
1. MyTek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC => $1,500 (roughly).
2. And Oppo BDP-105 => $1,199 retail (with mods capability for +$$).

Yeah of curse there are some pretty good ones (with great reviews) from $350 to less than $999.
I guess it all depends of your main uses, set of features' preference, connections (types and how many), and looks too (plus build quality). ...Yeah, performance mostly (quality sound).

Methinks that the people behind Oppo are smart folks. :b

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Owners over @ AA said they like the 105 a bit more than the 95. He said it was slightly warmer without losing details (I feel my 95 is getting harsh in the highs, especially with rock and bigger ensemble through the mmMicroOnes). I guess the new implementation of the DACs works.

Perhaps jumping on the 105 is worth it for us canucks (free shipping for preorders!).

-Hedwig

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Owners over @ AA said they like the 105 a bit more than the 95. He said it was slightly warmer without losing details (I feel my 95 is getting harsh in the highs, especially with rock and bigger ensemble through the mmMicroOnes). I guess the new implementation of the DACs works.

Perhaps jumping on the 105 is worth it for us canucks (free shipping for preorders!).

-Hedwig

-- Hi Hedwig,

Only recently that I learned that I could have ordered my 103 from another Canadian dealer with free shipping, plus a free 1-year subscription to Netflix. ...Or perhaps 6-month, can't recall exactly.
I did not know that at the time, and I missed the boat (shipping was $25 + tax), and no free Netflix subscription. :(

I won't name all the Oppo dealers here in Canada as I'm sure you probably know them already (and more than I).

I am very tempted to order the 105 from that new dealer (I read the entire 105's thread from AVS), and I trust Bob Pariseau more than anyone else. ...Few other people too, but Bob is da man.
** Bob Pariseau, the Canadian Frenchman from Anthem, CANADA.} :b

* By the way, the 103's thread is getting quite large now (AVS). ...That one too I read it all, and keep tuning on it.

So far, I am extremely happy with my 103, and if anyone is looking for a fantastic Universal Blu-ray player, or an upgrade, I personally/highly recommend it.

*** I am diligently and intelligently analysing my own situation and practical options real hard right now as to decide if the 105 would be a true real benefit in my 'own personal' case. ...I'm not sure of that yet, and that is the $1,344 question.

BUT! ...For some people it definitely is!

AND THEN! ...There is next year, or the 2014's model (probably the BDP-115), which I have some pretty good ideas on the new features that it would possess; and that, makes me think twice better.

Right now I am a happy man, and the future looks even brighter with a higher and better level of happiness; emotional and visual/auditory fulfillment, contentment, numbness, closer to the heavens, and all the gods of all the skies playing jazz music .... :b

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi Bob,

I'm glad the 103 is working out for you! It is a nice bit of kit. When I got the 95, I was really impressed with what it can do and in comparing XLR out to HT bypass on my Classe SSP-800 vs using digital and letting the Classe do the DAC thing, I found it to be more detailed and open. However, the fan noise and whirring drive was a big distraction. Having read some positive reviews, I'm tempted to pursue the 105. Even Dan Wright claims the stock 105 is an excellent product out of the box.

My concern is that the folks over at dyiaudio.com are claiming that there are so many bad designs and compromises that it should be good. So my paranoid self wants to wait. Seems emprically, owners are giving this a thumbs up over the 95. What to do, what to do? ;)

I guess the definite positives are:

- no more fans
- faster processor
- HDMI in
- usable DAC
- headphone out
- more stout drive assembly.

Should be enough to sway it to yes but that dang dyi site...should not have clicked to it. :(

Cheers,
-Hedwig

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What application will you use it for. Obviously for all things analog the 105 is the ticket. If you use it as a digital transport only, I would recommend disconnecting the analog board from the power suply. The new Theta Compli 3D disables the analog section apparently improving digital trasport peformance.

So if i am 85% redbook thru a separate DAC...but want to use the Oppo for movies and the occassional SACD/DVDA/BluRay music...would u suggest i go with 103 instead of 105 for use of the Transport? Or is the digital out going to be any different with the 105 due to the upgraded power transformer? My oppo-83 is no longer playing dvd's at all...though it will still play CDs and blu-ray...suspect optical laser failure. worth repairing?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
My 105 is at Modwright as we speak. I am getting the "full monty" and am very excited to to see what Dan can do. I love modding gear ever since I upgraded the caps in my old CJ Premiier DAC 9.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So if i am 85% redbook thru a separate DAC...but want to use the Oppo for movies and the occassional SACD/DVDA/BluRay music...would u suggest i go with 103 instead of 105 for use of the Transport? Or is the digital out going to be any different with the 105 due to the upgraded power transformer? My oppo-83 is no longer playing dvd's at all...though it will still play CDs and blu-ray...suspect optical laser failure. worth repairing?

Not sure about the 105, but I believe in the 95 the power supply upgrade only impacted the analog section and as a digital transport Oppo recommended the 93, so it may be the same for the 103. What does the website say?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The 105 can be used as a DAC, therefore 1 less cable, and 1 less component.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i decided after my oppo83 broke to run with the 95...i got a good price. should arrive Wed. i plan to use it as a transport into my DAC.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure about the 105, but I believe in the 95 the power supply upgrade only impacted the analog section and as a digital transport Oppo recommended the 93, so it may be the same for the 103. What does the website say?

Thanks...the toroidal does indeed appear to be for analogue only. Switch supply for the digital, nevertheless, i got a very good deal on 95 and took it over the 103. In case, for fun, i decided to play SACD or DVDA. I also decided against the 105 mainly to save a bit of money since i remain on the hunt for a Zanden Transport at the right price to run with my Zanden DAC...until then, will stick with oppo since it does all formats, and once i find a Zanden at the right price...i have not wasted any money since i still use the Oppo into my Zanden DAC for movies.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
---- Same here; only for the 83, 93, and 103.

- The 95 and 105 are already pretty much beefed up with those two ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chips.
And one dedicated to Stereo only (in a quad configuration for a truly/fully dual differential balanced output through their Stereo XLR outputs). ...Better op-amps, and other parts too, including the power supplies.
And now the 105 is also becoming a high-end digital DAC, and Video processor! ...HDMI inputs, USB inputs, and digital Coaxial/Optical inputs!

SACD decoder, DVD-Audio decoder, Bill Gate's HDCD decoder (Microsoft), BD & DVD 24fps, 3D & 2D to 3D conversion, 4K support and pass-through, WMA, WAV, FLAC high rez audio files, etc., etc., etc.
And all for only twelve hundred miserable bucks! Tell me I'm not dreaming please. :b

What's next? ...A high-end analog preamp! ...With a state-of-the-art analog volume digitally controlled! ...In one tenth of a dB gradations/adjustments!
And with an internal Audyssey MultEQ XT32 PRO Room and EQ Correction!
...And which works in both the analog and digital domains! :cool:

And with a tablet screen display (Android or Apple) on the front face, and that you can remove and hold in your hand! ...To start your car! ...And much more than that! ...WoW!

And a high-end analogue Phono preamp stage? ;)

Hey Northstar,

What is the latest on your end? I just ordered a 95 that was being discounted to make room for the 105. my 83 is broken (in multiple places)...and i just thought parts and labor costs (and shipping) were probably not worth it given that a discounted 95 was only a bit more. i will only use it as a transport (plus the occassional blu-ray, dvda...but i am curious if it will make any difference as such as an audio transport or of course for video purposes! any thoughts on this?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
i decided after my oppo83 broke to run with the 95...i got a good price. should arrive Wed. i plan to use it as a transport into my DAC.

I ended up paying $600 for a 93 after Oppo ran out of them. I have a digi out board that only fits the 93 and wanted a backup in case the player fails.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Bob,

I'm glad the 103 is working out for you! It is a nice bit of kit. When I got the 95, I was really impressed with what it can do and in comparing XLR out to HT bypass on my 1. Classe SSP-800 vs using digital and letting the Classe do the DAC thing, I found it to be more detailed and open. However, the fan noise and whirring drive was a big distraction. Having read some positive reviews, I'm tempted to pursue the 105. Even Dan Wright claims the stock 105 is an excellent product out of the box.

---- 1. Very nice; the Classe SSP-800. :b

My concern is that the folks over at dyiaudio.com are claiming that there are so many bad designs and compromises that it should be good. So my paranoid self wants to wait. Seems emprically, owners are giving this a thumbs up over the 95. 2. What to do, what to do? ;)

3. I guess the definite positives are:

- no more fans
- faster processor
- HDMI in
- usable DAC
- headphone out
- more stout drive assembly.

4. Should be enough to sway it to yes but that dang dyi site...should not have clicked to it. :(

Cheers,
-Hedwig

---- 2. Do you have a good supply of cash ($)? ..If you do there is the Ayre Acoustics DX-5 "Universal A/V Engine": $9,950 ;)

---- 3. All very good points above Hedwig; and even the sound from its analog outputs (XLR Balanced, and RCA single-end too) many people prefer over the 95; smoother/sweeter without losing the details. ...That is what they all say on average.

---- 4. I dunno, I'm just a passive member over there myself, and perhaps it's a good thing;
for now.
:b

Cheers,
Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing