Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
• 4K if your TV is 4K. Otherwise 1080p. | Output Resolution: 1080p or 4K (experiment between those two, only)
• On but as Don said, this only matters if you let the player do the audio decoding. | Secondary Audio: Off (the only way to get Dolby Atmos & DTS:X)
• LPCM so that the player can do secondary audio mixing. | HDMI Audio: Bitstream (the best; your Yamaha do all the audio decoding)
• On. | HDMI Decoding: On (Yes, Amir is correct)
• You should set this to OFF if you are using an AVR. This is only useful if you are using the analog outputs of the OPPO and are driving subs.
In that case 80 Hz is the right answer almost all the time. | Crossover: 80Hz (leave everything @ default; it don't matter - it's only for the multich. analog connections)
• Off. | Dynamic Range Control: Off (Amir is correct again)
• If you have more channels than what is on disc, you can play with these settings. Otherwise Off. | DTS Neo:6 Mode: Off
• Fixed. | Output Volume: Variable :b

The processing in AVRs can be quite poor. So I would let the Oppo do it. ON 4K setting, if the Yamaha cannot pass it and you have a 4K TV, route the one output to the TV direct.

* In red ? is my own feedback. :b

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
curious about setting cadence on your oppo's; I don't use an AVR, after much experimentation, best results = setting my BRP (panasonic) to output 1080p60 (instead of 1080p24) which allows the panny to convert 24fps into 60fps. Accordingly, my Sharp HDTV is set to it's minimum 60hz mode, all film modes / other processing switched off. This setup provides the least amount of motion artifacts, SOE, and proper sound / picture syncing.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
That is why I like the Oppo units. They keep the unit up to date. How many other companies would do that for us? ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Few people had problems updating that new firmware via Ethernet (wired or wireless); so they use a USB stick instead with the new firmware burned in it.
It's unusual, and I just don't know the reason why. I can speculate though; it is not a solid Ethernet firmware transmission. ...Or the code, or Rio Olympic games, or the Internet highway this 2016 hot summer, or traffic acceleration, or anything else. It's just that this time around it works better via USB transfer to perform that firmware update trouble-free.

I agree with you; Oppo BR players are lovable, for many reasons. :b
And no wonder why some diy technical experts are modifying them to even better performance...audio and video wise.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
NorthStar,

That is rather odd that there is an issue with some owners regarding to upgrade. After reading your post I turned on my screen, checked for updates, pushed update over network and it performed the update.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing