Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
More info.

-- From my uderstanding (extensive reading), the Oppo BDP-105 has also the same two 8-channel DACs, the ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chips, as in the BDP-95.

BUT! The implementation is a little different this time around.

In both the 95 and 105, one DAC (8-ch.) is used for the multichannel analog out (7.1 channel).

In the 95, the second ESS DAC (8-ch.) is used strictly for the analog stereo out (both balanced and unbalanced; XLR & RCA), and is configured by stacking four DACs per each channel (4 for the Left ch., and 4 for the Right ch.), for a fully balanced output through the XLR connections (4+4).

But in the 105, this second DAC is used half for the analog balanced and unbalanced out, and the other half for the headphone out. ...Or more exactly 2+2 (two DACs for the Left, and two DACs for the right ch., and the same (2+2) for the headphone out.

In real world listening I'm not sure if one would be able to distinguish from these two players.
But I just thought mentioning it anyway.

Here's a link that stipulates this fact (1st post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...5-discussions-upgrading-mods.html#post3222646

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What are the MCH analog preamps they were available?

The usual suspects are:

Tier 1: EMM Labs Switchman, Theta Six Shooter, Audio Research MP1
Tier 2: Bel Canto PRe6, Conrad Johnson MET1
Tier 3: McCormack MAP1, Parasouns Halo P7

I also tried some MCH analog bypasses in processsors, and found they suck. From what I hear Krell and Bryston do this quite well though.

Of these, I have only owned the McCormack MAP1 and the Theta Six Shooter. I bought a Switchman last week, which is currently in transit.

I did a shootout between the Six Shooter and the Pass XP-10 on two channel and found them to be equivalent.

I sold the Six Shooter when I moved to digital volume contol, using the Trinnov ST2-Pro processor (I run 4 channels through the Trinnov and 2 surround channels through a Bel Canto DAC3 - I synch up the volume controls using an iRule macro).

Just for kicks I bought the EMM Labs to see it it improves on the digital volume control. If it does not, I already have a buyer lined up for it. I just like to try new things every now and then.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Off the top of my head:
Sony
McCormack
Audio Research
McIntosh
Bel Canto
Conrad-Johnson

If you don't need room correction, have just a few digital sources, and limited bass management needs, in my estimation getting the new 105 and say a used Bel Canto Pre6 will give you phenomal performance (both 2 and multi channel) for around $2500, and an extremely small footprint.

I think no SSP + HDMI source south of $5K will be able to touch it, but that is pure speculation (although for 2 channel I am pretty confident this is true).

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
--Ed, the Bryston, do you know which model number?
...You're not thinking about their latest SSP do you?

* Nice to see you around once in a while Kal.

I did in fact have in mind Kal's review of the Bryston SP3 when referencing stellar performance as analog preamp in bypass mode. I would imagine the SP2 is not too shabby either.

I had a hunch Kal would jump in when the subject of MCH analog preamps came up. He has reviewed quite a few.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Alright, we're all in the same track here. And true, Kal is a big force on everything SSP related. ...And Oppo too. :b ...He did also review the Oppo 95. ...And that Bryston SP3.

* By the way, I just received an email this morning from Markham, Ontario, Canada.
They are taking orders now for the Oppo 105, and it should be shipping by the first week of December.
They invited me for a test drive (they have it right now at their audio/video store), but they don't pay for the plane ticket. ;)

Of course, in the US some people just received theirs yesterday, and today.

My 103 is still getting 'warmed up'; I'm a very patient guy,
and I always (well...) follow my heart and instinct. :b

The main reason I did not get the 105 is because of my SSP. I don't think that its analog section (Integra DHC-80.3) can honor the 105's analog section by justifying the extra cost. My ears are older too, at over fifty. If I was in my twentys I would probably get the 105; but it's all relative (Live Rock music concerts...).
Also, I'm as much into stereo as I am into multichannel.
And I'm happy with digital (I luv analog too; LPs, radio, etc.).
And with digital I luv to take profit from Audyssey MultEQ XT32's benefits.

Kal, what da ya think; is my way of thinking makes any sense?
...For me it does. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- Alright, we're all in the same track here. And true, Kal is a big force on everything SSP related. ...And Oppo too. :b ...He did also review the 95.

I was looking into digital room correction and had posted a question about TACT on audiogon, when Kal pointed me in the direction of the Trinnov (which I had not heard of). Good move.

I think his review of the Sony XA5400 single handedly elevated this player to giant killer cult status......

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- TRINNOV, I am totally amazed that you can get the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AV receiver for only $599 (brand new and with a 3-year warranty)!

As for the Sony, that's why I mentioned the brand before, because of some of their excellent performance in multichannel sound. I simply didn't recall the model number(s), that's all.

But I'm thinking more like the XA9000ES. And they also have a multichannel preamp, but I forgot the model number; also very well received with cult status. ...Kal knows fo sur.

The XA-5400ES is also a CD stereo/multichannel SACD player. But no video here.
And audio wise Kal loves the Oppo 95 for its edge over the Sony, "with consistently more open and spacious soundstage". And also "with better articulation of instruments and voices".

The 95 is definitively the better deal here at $500 less than the Sony.
And the Sony is just a CD/SACD player.

You know what? Remember the great Universal players from yesterday's Denons?
And the great CD/SACD players (DVD machines too) from yesterday's Sonys?
I still have my Denon DVD-3930CI DVD Universal player, but unfortunately Denon's transports simply don't last.
I also have a bunch of Sony players with SACD playability (stereo & multichannel), but nothing outrageous here (price wise).

Well, Denon Blu-ray Universal players are now in the shadows (some are already dead),
and Oppo is still going very strong each year after each year; starting with the 83, 83SE, 83NuForce, 93, 93SP, 95, 103, 105, and the few other Special Editions with upgrade boards for better/different sound. ...And before that their excellent DVD players, and Universal ones.
Oppo seems to have now dethroned Denon and Sony. ...And I also think that they can compete with other much more expensive brands.

And higher up, price wise, (just forget Lexicon), with McIntosh, Ayre, Cary, Krell, Meridian, Bryston, Esoteric, ... nothing is as complete, as valuable, as reliable, and of course as well performing as Oppo.
Am I right or wrong?

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- TRINNOV, I am totally amazed that you can get the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AV receiver for only $599 (brand new and with a 3-year warranty)!

As for the Sony, that's why I mentioned the brand before, because of some of their excellent performance in multichannel sound. I simply didn't recall the model number(s), that's all.

Trinnov's secret sauce is software, which has a marginal cost of $0 to copy. How they license and productize their core IP (Intellectual Property) is strictly a marketing decision.

The Sony XA5400 was SACD/CD player with HDMI out. I used it very effectively as a transport with native DSD output for MCH SACD, but eventually moved to a universal player with analog output into an MCH analog preamp.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Trinnov's secret sauce is software, which has a marginal cost of $0 to copy. How they license and productize their core IP (Intellectual Property) is strictly a marketing decision.
While that is certainly true, the DSP power it requires is decidedly greater than that required by Audyssey, MCACC, ARC, etc. necessitating some feature reduction in the Sherwood implementation. The cost integrating their UI with that of an AVR weighed heavily on all participants and may have scarred them. It deserved to be a flaming success.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
But I'm thinking more like the XA9000ES. And they also have a multichannel preamp, but I forgot the model number; also very well received with cult status. ...Kal knows fo sur.
This is a great combo if one can live without RoomEQ becaust the XA9000ES can do individual channel delays (in DSD, it says) and the TA-P9000ES can do individual levels. Too bad that my XA9000ES is in silver and my TA-P9000ES is in black. :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Man, I just spent hours and hours reading on the 103 and 105!

There are a lot of people working right now for Oppo on all the major audio/video forums, of the world!

Remember that analog section from the 105 I mentioned before?
Well, now it seems that the headphone output is getting 2+2, or two DACs per each channel.
And the XLR balanced ouput is getting 1+1, and the RCA unbalanced output is also getting 1+1.

It is truly amazing all the issues with various products from the HDMI connections!
...No wonder we live in a high tech and very complex world in constant need of upgrading! :eek:
If you don't buy the latest product three months from now, you'd better make sure that the brand you buy is supporting constant firmware upgrades.

Samsung is bad. Panasonic is bad. Sony is slow. Oppo is best (fast), but it's real tough to keep up.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- I am doing a complete overhaul of my main surround sound system.
It is amazing all the cleaning, wiring, components' setups, programmation into a universal remote control, getting rid of some gear, putting new ones in place, resetting stuff, time (clocks), trying to simplify (tough), getting rid of expensive interconnects (analog, digital, HDMI, etc.), going hi-speed, 3D, 4K ready, ... I've been at it for the last three days now.

And my system is truly very modest as compared to some, and I'm a perfectionist sort of, but a poor one (financially), with gear anyway. ...Nothing approaching the six digits, quite far from it. Heck I bet the real value is even less than five digits by now!

It's true man; don't matter if you spent $25,000 in the last ten years or less, today it's probably worth five times less!
There is simply no value at all (durable) in electronic gear.

Even the recordings of yesterday (many of them, very bad) are worth nothing in auditory pleasure as compared to today's hi rez audio.

Truly, this is a hobby that is constantly improving with higher techs and better recordings.

What we were yesterday is just gone today. ...And no matter and how strong we like to hold on; life is ahead of us.

My Oppo BDP-103 is all set and truly ready for a test drive. ...I'm in no rush. :b

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Talk about dinosaurs, I stll live in a high-end 2 channel world, and my 105 is at Modwright getting the 2-channel tube mod w/ outboard tube ps, and some other goodies Dan comes up with. I like the fact the 105 offers a 24/192 usb dac for my MacBook Pro. And I combine my stereo and 2.1 HT!;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- High-end! ...And Oppo BDP-105 at only $1,199!

C'mon, high-end means a turntable at $150,000 (without tonearm, cartridge, phono preamp, record cleaner/stabilizer, brushes, cleaning fluids, and all the other zillion of accessories required for proper setup (adjustments) and maintenance.
Well, the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn ($149,995) comes with tonearm and stand. So you got a nice break here.
The Oneduf turntable ($150,000), is right behind.
...That is for the analog "high-end" source. And don't forget to add the phono preamp and all that jazz.

For digital source (high-end); the dCS Scarlatti system ($82,246) should put you in the ball park.

So, how could a $1,199 player (plus few more bucks for mod) be considred "high-end"? :b

Are we living in a different world? Or are we getting smarter? Or is there such a thing as build quality like the great pyramids?

But, this is an audio/video world here, and about the Oppo 103 and 105 (with or without mods),
and as compared to themselves in various configurations, and with their predecessors, and with their competitors (some much more cheaper, and others much more expensive).

What is it, a combination, or one precise aspect that truly counts?
Performance with value, or bulid quality with longetivity?

But what about obsolescence? What good is it to have a Blu-ray/DVD-A/CD/SACD player that weights sixty pounds if it doesn't keep up?

And, with hi rez music and movie downloads, from your PC, and played back in your audio/video rig, why not just get a music/movie server and call it a day for physical audio/video mediums?

Do you believe in true 1080p, in 3D, in 4K, in IMAX size screens in your own home?

* I rewatched 'Toy Story 3' - 3D last night, and it was pretty good coming from the 103. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing