Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What application will you use it for. Obviously for all things analog the 105 is the ticket. If you use it as a digital transport only, I would recommend disconnecting the analog board from the power suply. The new Theta Compli 3D disables the analog section apparently improving digital trasport peformance.

- Blu-rays (of course) through the digital HDMI output.
- Multichannel SACDs and DVD Audios through the multichannel analog out.
{So I do need both sections enabled.)

- I will also check DSD direct through the HDMI out; but I already know that it will sound better from the multichannel analog out.
- I got tons of HDCD encoded CDs, and will probably use the analog stereo out (configuration),
but I will compare it too with the digital coaxial out; just to make sure. ...And HDMI too, for good measure.

I don't play my DVDs much anymore (got few thousands of those; 5,000+), perhaps few per year,
as I replaced all my favorite ones with Blu-rays.

The ESS Sabre32 DACs (8-channel DAC times two) in the 105; I'm not sure if my system (pre/pro and speakers) are resolute enough to gain the real benefit; that is why I will have to do my diligent research on this (with people having similar gear and speakers as I), but it is a tough preposition (best would be simply to buy the 105 and try it out in my own system, instead of relying on other's comments).

For people having a nice pair of speakers (good resolution) and a nice pre/pro (or surround sound processor), the 105 is the perfect candidate for them IMO. But that pre/pro needs to be up to par from its analog section.

Still, that new 105, for only $1,199, with the incredible amount of features; the new digital preamp section (USBs and HDMIs and Coaxial/Optical inputs), plus the excellent analog section with them DACs, and the configuration for 2-channel stereo listening (4 DACs per channel; dual differential balanced mode), solid build (much heavier than the 103), and all the rest of the jazz team, makes it a true high-end bargain in today's audiophilia (for both audiophiles and videophiles).

We need more companies like Oppo IMO. :b ...True high-end (no fake) for the budget people like me.

And if I would be a billionaire (or even a multi-millionaire), with a good head on his shoulders (smart); I would also take the 105 route. :b

But that's just me, and all the things that are part of my 'composition'. :b

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am putting my Dr. Lee modified Oppo 93 up for sale. It comes with his custom toroidal power supply, as well as original switch mode power supply. It is in pristine condition.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am going to try out some tube based cdp's for a change of pace.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---- I see. :b

* I am warming up my 103 (break-in period). ;)

One thing I want to add; I previoulsy said that the analog connections should sound best (for both stereo and multichannel music listening; and perhaps even for movies too with high rez audio).

BUT! Don't forget, by going analog connections (103's internal DAC; Cirrus Logic CS4382) I would lose the 'digital effects' (benefits) of Room EQ from Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and Audyssey Correction, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume, and Audyssey DSX, and internal Bass Management of my own Integra DHC-80.3 surround sound processor, and its own 32-bit DACs of course (TI BB PCM-1795).
And with the 105 the same situation would persist; but the analog sound (ESS) would be improved;
to which degree/extent depends on the chain of your entire system, of its true resolution.
{In some systems it would 'slightly' improve, in others more.}

Anyway, I will let you know all about it eventually. :b

- I like tubes, they sound warm (guitar amps). :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am putting my Dr. Lee modified Oppo 93 up for sale. It comes with his custom toroidal power supply, as well as original switch mode power supply. It is in pristine condition.

If you are selling so you can get a 103, keep in mind according to Dr. Lee you can put the same powersupply in the 103.

Oops. Looks like you are lookingfor tubes, not Powersupply. Modwright mods Oppo's with tube output stage.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
If you are selling so you can get a 103, keep in mind according to Dr. Lee you can put the same powersupply in the 103.

Oops. Looks like you are lookingfor tubes, not Powersupply. Modwright mods Oppo's with tube output stage.

Thanks. I think I will try the Modwright 105 option. i am not sure but I think Dr. Lee makes a linear power supply for the Oppo 95? I know his business partner is advertising a LPS for the 105.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks. I think I will try the Modwright 105 option. i am not sure but I think Dr. Lee makes a linear power supply for the Oppo 95? I know his business partner is advertising a LPS for the 105.

I never seen reference to a Dr. Lee LPs for the 95/105. However, I believe audiocom sources powersupplies from Dr. Lee and they advertise a LSP for a 105. Linear powersupplies everywhere you look. If only audiopraise would release the digi out board for the 103, I would jump ship right away.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I never seen reference to a Dr. Lee LPs for the 95/105. However, I believe audiocom sources powersupplies from Dr. Lee and they advertise a LSP for a 105. Linear powersupplies everywhere you look. If only audiopraise would release the digi out board for the 103, I would jump ship right away.

---- Same here; only for the 83, 93, and 103.

- The 95 and 105 are already pretty much beefed up with those two ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018 DAC chips.
And one dedicated to Stereo only (in a quad configuration for a truly/fully dual differential balanced output through their Stereo XLR outputs). ...Better op-amps, and other parts too, including the power supplies.
And now the 105 is also becoming a high-end digital DAC, and Video processor! ...HDMI inputs, USB inputs, and digital Coaxial/Optical inputs!

SACD decoder, DVD-Audio decoder, Bill Gate's HDCD decoder (Microsoft), BD & DVD 24fps, 3D & 2D to 3D conversion, 4K support and pass-through, WMA, WAV, FLAC high rez audio files, etc., etc., etc.
And all for only twelve hundred miserable bucks! Tell me I'm not dreaming please. :b

What's next? ...A high-end analog preamp! ...With a state-of-the-art analog volume digitally controlled! ...In one tenth of a dB gradations/adjustments!
And with an internal Audyssey MultEQ XT32 PRO Room and EQ Correction!
...And which works in both the analog and digital domains! :cool:

And with a tablet screen display (Android or Apple) on the front face, and that you can remove and hold in your hand! ...To start your car! ...And much more than that! ...WoW!

And a high-end analogue Phono preamp stage? ;)

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
+ headphone amp on 105 ;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- Yes Ed, that is the biggest NEW thing with Oppo Universal BD players for 2012-13. :b

It would be nice if this Oppo feature revived the market for Multi Channel analog preamps, because the only missing element in a (relatively) high end MCH system based on an Oppo 105 is the volume control. You could of course settle for the digital volume control in the Oppo, in which case all you need for a pretty damn good system is an Oppo 105, amplifiers and speakers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It would be nice if this Oppo feature revived the market for Multi Channel analog preamps, because the only missing element in a (relatively) high end MCH system based on an Oppo 105 is the volume control. You could of course settle for the digital volume control in the Oppo, in which case all you need for a pretty damn good system is an Oppo 105, amplifiers and speakers.

---- I doubt it; we now live in a world of Downloading.
...And Mutichannel is only a second thought, way behind a good pair of cans (headphones).

Multichannel Music is for a fragmented niche of a segmented market. ...Kind of speech.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
---- I doubt it; we now live in a world of Downloading.
...And Mutichannel is only a second thought, way behind a good pair of cans (headphones).

Multichannel Music is for a fragmented niche of a segmented market. ...Kind of speech.

Agree. Not going to happen. I have been using MCH analog preamps for years (and just bought another one), but I am a total dinosaur.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing