Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

Banned
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada

Post Another Review of the Oppo BDP-103 ::

--------- Right Here

Banned

Arrow Video Review of the Oppo BDP-105 ::

Banned
    -- Be patient, my own personal review of the BDP-103 is coming eventually.
    I want to have at least one month of use (every single day) before I commit.
    I am taking notes almost every day, for the last two weeks now.

And believe it or not I am still at the original firmware that came with my player (September 2012).
    I did not upgrade because I don't have a single issue yet for my personal use.
    {If you don't encounter any problem, don't try to create one. Just make sure you don't miss on the essence: worthwhile features and beneficial performance improvements; in particular on the picture/sound quality.}

So far this is the best Blu-ray player of all my other Blu-ray players, even from one which cost me $800 (MSRP was $1,000), with the HQV Reon video processor.
    But that was a long time ago when BD players were up to $1,000 (regular ones, not high-end ones).

You'll see, I bet some high-end manufacturers are going to use the 103 as their new platform for their high priced BD players ($3,000 to $10,000). The higher prices ones based on the BDP-105, of course. ...But with their own implementation and higher quality parts and power supplies.

P.S. My own review should be short, less than 100,000 words.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-07-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: postcript

Banned

Lightbulb Update :: This Review is Now Complete ::

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    ---- Oppo BDP-105 Universal Player - Secrets Review - Fully Completed: Audio Side

* Keep a close eye on the rest of that review (in testing right now).
    Just click on that first line from the above quote for the full review now completed; AUDIO portion of the BDP-105.

* But more is to come for the VIDEO portion, which will be contained in the Oppo BDP-103's review, and which shares the same video processors as in the BDP-105, and with the bench test results. And part of that review will also relate to the Audio side.
    It should come out real soon now. ...Again from Secrets. ...And by Chris, another reviewer from that website.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-07-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: precision

Banned

Thumbs up French Review - From France: HD Fever - Of the Oppo BDP-105 ::

----- => http://www.hdfever.fr/2012/12/08/test-oppo-bdp-105eu/

* Just use your [Translate] feature from your Google's toolbar.

It is a very nice and extensive review.

Also, check this out (post #875 from page 30): http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/of...#post_22679114

Yay...mine arrived just minutes ago. Will compare it to the 95 and see if I can hear any difference (as an aside: I just had my hearing tested and I don't need a hearing aid! lol).

PS: Seems Ric (http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_105_Mods.html) and Dan's (http://www.modwright.com/blog/post.p...ly-glowing-now) been busy little beavers.

I wonder how long before they turn this "box" into a full SSP with either integrated electronics or a stand beside (or below) box a la ADA. Integrate someones room correction, add some more external controls (volume, trim, distance, etc) and "bingo" new product.

With the price/performance of their existing Bluray player offerings, they could become a scary competitor to the "big boy" SSP companies if they can do the same thing with an expanded product suite !!
    Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

Our Theater

Banned
    -- From what we can see and hear so far, I'd say Oppo is leading a large segment of the innovation industry.

I truly believe that we are already at the threshold of revolutionary audio and video for the masses.
    High-end days are getting more and more a niche market place for the 'uninitiated'.
    Oh good stuff for high prices can be found for sure, but with how much percentage better in only one or two aspects of the entire 'chain gang'? ...Features that truly perform, no glitches, and constant support.

Yeah, Meridian, Classe, Krell, Esoteric, and all have some great products, for the 'right clientele'.

Important to remember here: this thread is about Universal Blu-ray players, and not about speakers or amps. ...The newer Oppo players.

BUT! The amazing story now is that the 105 is also a great preamp, and DAC! ...High-res, high-def music/video server/streamer. ...High-end headphone amp.
    Indeed, how long before it also includes a state-of-the-art Room EQ & Calibration system?
    ...And analog inputs?

BTW, every single day that I use my 103 I am happy. ...And me too I can use it as a preamp if I want to.

* Yesterday (last night), I did an alternative; from the Audio Format Setup, on the SACD Output, I changed my previous DSD selection to PCM (88.2 kHz).
    And just so that you know, my pre/pro can accept the DSD stream pure.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-10-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Addicted to Best!
    What I like about modding the Oppo is it takes a great under $5K universal player into a great $10K+ player. A world class Swiss Army knife!
    Venture speakers/Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX/Magnus Audio MA-300/ModWright tubed Oppo 105/Bybee Music Rails/PSVANE and NOS tubes/Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus/Jena Labs Pathfinder Twin 19's/Prana Wire Deva/Sound Application Reference Linestage/Runco 50" plasma

Banned
    -- And Jim, what's the total cost of a modded one? ...The 105.

Tubed or/and SSed?

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast