Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
tube rolling in the Oppo :confused:

I see others have beaten me to it...yes, many modders are basically upgrading power supplies and adding tubed output stages to the base Oppo models. Modwright for one. Have heard good things about the Modwright.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I wasn't aware of that. Can you provide some info

With the ModWright Oppo 105 I am using a pair of Psvane CV181-T2's, Philco 15EA7's and a big beautiful Philips 5R4GYS ;).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
With the ModWright Oppo 105 I am using a pair of Psvane CV181-T2's, Philco 15EA7's and a big beautiful Philips 5R4GYS ;).

Have heard nice things about Psvane tubes...enjoy.

Portugal

Jan 13, 2013
I've been using an Ayre QB9. How good is the DAC in the Oppo105 using USB input?

Has anyone tried to connect the Oppo straight to a power amp bypassing the preamp?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I've been using an Ayre QB9. How good is the DAC in the Oppo105 using USB input?

Has anyone tried to connect the Oppo straight to a power amp bypassing the preamp?

The 105's DAC is very good, but I have the Modwright tube mod. I still prefer a good preamp.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
The 105's DAC is very good, but I have the Modwright tube mod. I still prefer a good preamp.

Hi Jim,

Wondering which PSVANE CV181-T you decided on: Mark I or Mark II? And what swayed you to that decision? Thx. I'll be getting the unit next week and I'm not sure which of the two to get (I do like the black bodies of the Mark I but if Mark II is better, well...)

Cheers,
Hedwig

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Jim,

Wondering which PSVANE CV181-T you decided on: Mark I or Mark II? And what swayed you to that decision? Thx. I'll be getting the unit next week and I'm not sure which of the two to get (I do like the black bodies of the Mark I but if Mark II is better, well...)

Cheers,
Hedwig

Hi Hedwig,
I decided on MK2 after doing some research with google. :) Good luck!

MK2 have black chrome bodies also

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi Hedwig,
I decided on MK2 after doing some research with google. :) Good luck!

MK2 have black chrome bodies also

Thx for the quick reply, Jim! :)

WRT the black bodies, I thought the Mk II is grey because it's using some aluminum surfacing; hence, the grey colour. Where can one request/source the black ones? I know the previous gen (Mk I) is black and so were the Shuguang CV181-Z.

-H

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thx for the quick reply, Jim! :)

WRT the black bodies, I thought the Mk II is grey because it's using some aluminum surfacing; hence, the grey colour. Where can one request/source the black ones? I know the previous gen (Mk I) is black and so were the Shuguang CV181-Z.

-H

You are right the y are grey, but more of a dark grey chrome. Very pleasing to the eye. I went with the best sounding based on what I read.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I have been using a Darbee for several months now with my Panasonic Plasma, DVDO video processor and Oppo 103 and it really does as claimed, improve the picture with no downsides. I think it was $299.00 on Amazon.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have been using a Darbee for several months now with my Panasonic Plasma, DVDO video processor and Oppo 103 and it really does as claimed, improve the picture with no downsides. I think it was $299.00 on Amazon.

$349 MSRP (separate unit). ... Now only $100 internally built inside the BDP-103D. :cool:

* And I bet that the BDP-103D will also come with HDMI Ins & Outs version 2.0 (true 4K and all that video jazz).
For $599 that is pretty good, and good enough (best) for me to be my next upgrade.

Good times ahead, and more for less. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No rush Ron; Oppo has still to implement HDMI version 2.0 too (for 60fps 4K video signal).

* When I order directly from my dealer here in Canada it only takes four days to get it.
And I will sell my standard 103.

** But even better (don't tell no one), I will make the exchange. ...Because my 103 is under a two-year warranty, and it has a little issue that needs to be fixed. And the best fix is the 103D in exchange.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing