Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is it true that the Oppo 105 with the latest firmware can be used to rip DSD files from SACD's, like the old Sony PS3?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Is it true that the Oppo 105 with the latest firmware can be used to rip DSD files from SACD's, like the old Sony PS3?

I would think the only way this is theoretically possible is if some hacker created its own "version" of the firmware allowing the DSD datastream read from the discdrive to be writtent to a USB connected storage device. It seems unlikely in the extreme someone pulled this off, it this can be done at all. Also, a digi out board that passed the DSD datastream to an S/PDIF output unencrypted, which can then be recorded is conceivable. May be we can request this feature in the Vanity103 board.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. Where did you see that?

Thanks for making it clear. I was just asked by a friend who is considering either the Oppo 105 or the Mytek. He has a large collection of SACD's, but at the same time would like to go the music server route.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks for making it clear. I was just asked by a friend who is considering either the Oppo 105 or the Mytek. He has a large collection of SACD's, but at the same time would like to go the music server route.

Ripping with PS3 is still his best (only?) bet. I have a unit coming in today and dread the prospect of having to figure out how to do it, but there is not good alternative.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ripping with PS3 is still his best (only?) bet. I have a unit coming in today and dread the prospect of having to figure out how to do it, but there is not good alternative.

I thought Bruce B. had posted about an expensive alternative (which was actually better)?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I thought Bruce B. had posted about an expensive alternative (which was actually better)?

Very expensive and not necessarily better (assuming the PS3 rips an exact copy of the datafile from the disc). You can find this on the forum.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Interesting, the stock 105 was rated higher than the heavily modded 103.

Dan also came to the same conclusion... http://www.modwright.com/blog/

"5) The modified 103 (without LPS), but with upgrades to shielding, damping, parts upgrades in analog stage and power supply is much better and closer to the performance of the stock 105, but I would have to give the edge to the stock 105."

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Very expensive and not necessarily better (assuming the PS3 rips an exact copy of the datafile from the disc). You can find this on the forum.
The problem is that when the SACD track markers don't occur at zero crossing points, the PS3 rip is not exact.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dan also came to the same conclusion... http://www.modwright.com/blog/

"5) The modified 103 (without LPS), but with upgrades to shielding, damping, parts upgrades in analog stage and power supply is much better and closer to the performance of the stock 105, but I would have to give the edge to the stock 105."

And how does the 103 compare to the stock 95? Just curious...i use mine only for video.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
... 103 (modded) compared to the stock 95? ...

Dan said that the stock 105 is very slightly better sounding than the modded 103.
And from all the comments of the owners of the 105 and 95, both stock, the 105 is the slightly better sounding one.

So, from that we can conclude a verisimilitude, perhaps?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dan said that the stock 105 is very slightly better sounding than the modded 103.
And from all the comments of the owners of the 105 and 95, both stock, the 105 is the slightly better sounding one.

So, from that we can conclude a verisimilitude, perhaps?

Thanks for that. Good to know and that is what i guessed when i bought my 95...i got a good deal on it as the 105 had just come out, and i figured (particularly for video only)...a good deal and not spend almost double to get the 105.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I'm glad to see other members in this thread, you included. :b

Thanks! Oppo is good stuff...and not just for the money as you well know! And i think the mod' community has picked up on this extremely well (plus its universal applications)...and taken it even further which is very cool.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks! Oppo is good stuff...and not just for the money as you well know! And i think the mod' community has picked up on this extremely well (plus its universal applications)...and taken it even further which is very cool.

And tube rolling takes it even further!:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing