Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- So, waynow, you didn't think that I would forget about you? ;)

* Yes, I did all I have to do plus plus plus.
Let's get to the point: No noise in my back surround speakers while playing CDs from my Oppo BDP-103 player, and while Audyssey MultEQ XT32 was engaged, and with the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music audio mode on (7.1), and when in Pause.

Now, here are few Best suggestions for your own particular setup \\\///

In your Oppo BDP-103 player, in the Menu called Audio Format Setup:

* Secondary Audio = Off

* HDMI Audio = LPCM (that one is important) ...But do check also with Bitstream (should also be fine, but make sure no noise is present when playing music CDs, as described by you before, with Audyssey, and DD PLIIx Music audio mode, plus Pause.)
...And Absolutely Do Not Select AUTO!

* SACD output = PCM
* HDCD Decoding = On

In your Denon AVR-2313CI receiver:

* When playing CDs, don't use any of the Audyssey modes (1. Audyssey MultEQ XT, 2. Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and 3. Audyssey Dynamic Volume).
-> You said that you like the Graphic EQ, and that you can't hear no noise when using it: Then use that one.
OR! Disable the Graphic EQ as well, and just use the Treble and Bass controls. ...Again, for Music listening only.

Last, and not least:

When doing a firmware update; reinitialize your player (default), to make sure that the firmware has been properly implemented. That is very important. ...And then re-select your prior settings (make sure you wrote them down somewhere before).

Try this too: Disconnect both HDMI cables from your Oppo player, and then reconnect them (with the power Off of course).
And this too: Select 'Off' for HDMI Audio, and then 'On' (in your Denon receiver).

All of this is to facilitate the HDMI handshake and making sure that you're up to date and properly set.

And Don't Forget! ...The HDMI 1* Out of your Oppo player goes to your HDTV display (HDMI In),
and the HDMI 2** Out of your Oppo to your Denon receiver (HDMI In), as I explained to you before. And the main HDMI Out of your Denon receiver goes to a second HDMI input of your HDTV. ...Of course.

* The HDMI 1 is for playing Blu-rays, 2D and 3D.
** The HDMI 2 is for playing DVDs, CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audios, HDCDs, etc.

Alright, I think that's about it. And if you still get noise while the Audyssey EQ is engaged (any one of them), then some's wrong or with your back surround speakers, or there was a wrong selection made in your receiver.
Your Denon receiver is a very complex component; and here is not the proper thread to discuss it. :b

And I am 89.9% convinced that it isn't an issue with your Oppo 103 player.

Good day, good night, and good luck. ...Keep in touch with your latest discoveries, of course.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

detroit1

Mar 8, 2013
anyone with experience comparing the Oppo 105 with the Cambridge 752?
It seems they are the same product except the Cambridge uses Wolfson Dacs instead of ESS Sabre
MSRP is the same. Some of the UK reviews say it sounds better than the OPPO

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
anyone with experience comparing the Oppo 105 with the Cambridge 752?
It seems they are the same product except the Cambridge uses Wolfson Dacs instead of ESS Sabre
MSRP is the same. Some of the UK reviews say it sounds better than the OPPO

Some UK reviewers wear ladies undergarments.;)

detroit1

Mar 8, 2013
How about more specific info on this. I don't care if the UK Reviewers wear undergarments or not
I want to hear about comparisons between the players

detroit1

Mar 8, 2013
I just talked to a Sales Moron in Florida who told me the Cambridge and Marantz were better than the Oppo
He sounded like a used car salesman. He says customers have brought in the Oppo to compare the Cambridge that they have on the floor. Then he was telling me the Ayre player at 10K is much better
these Sales Clowns are a total joke.
here is that place

Audio Center

120 N. Federal Highway
Deerfield Beach
Florida
FL33441
Tel: (954) 574-9200
Email: audiocenter@earthlink.net
Web: audiocenter@earthlink.net

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I wished instead they updated it to enable DLNA renderer, so you can stream to it controlling your libary from an iPad, rather than having to navigate throug the TV screen. This DSD streaming with no DSD content is just a "me to" marketing driven ploy.

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
DSD content

I wished instead they updated it to enable DLNA renderer, so you can stream to it controlling your libary from an iPad, rather than having to navigate throug the TV screen. This DSD streaming with no DSD content is just a "me to" marketing driven ploy.

Although it might be market driven, it's not clear that its a mere "ploy." A lot of music is now available in DSD. To my ears, it eclipses SACD. It's a huge bonus to have DSD playback in an $1100 machine.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I wished instead they updated it to enable DLNA renderer, so you can stream to it controlling your libary from an iPad, rather than having to navigate throug the TV screen.
There's no need to update it for this since it has been capable of it for that since the device was released. I have been running jRiver and streaming files, including HD and multichannel (except for DSD), to the 103/105 for months.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
There's no need to update it for this since it has been capable of it for that since the device was released. I have been running jRiver and streaming files, including HD and multichannel (except for DSD), to the 103/105 for months.

That is interesting because I owned a 93 and had to decide between getting another 93 or a 103 and made the decision based on this very capability. Some dealer assured me the 103 could not do this. So I got a second 93 instead. Oh well....

So just to reconfirm - you can set up the Oppo 103 as your DLNA rendered in JRiver, and stream content to the Oppo 103 from JRiver, using JRemote on an iPad, without ever turning on the TV screen the Oppo is connected to ?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So just to reconfirm - you can set up the Oppo 103 as your DLNA rendered in JRiver, and stream content to the Oppo 103 from JRiver, using JRemote on an iPad, without ever turning on the TV screen the Oppo is connected to ?
Yes. All this is described in my May column due out very soon. It is also described, a bit more starchly, in the user's manual and that is always more reliable than the advice of "some dealer."

You should have asked me sooner.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

-- Yes, hard to please everyone at all times. :b ...But who knows, in the near future perhaps.

That is interesting because I owned a 93 and had to decide between getting another 93 or a 103 and made the decision based on this very capability. Some dealer assured me the 103 could not do this. So I got a second 93 instead. Oh well....

Yes. All this is described in my May column due out very soon. It is also described, a bit more starchly, in the user's manual and that is always more reliable than the advice of "some dealer."

You should have asked me sooner.

The future was much sooner than what was anticipated.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Although it might be market driven, it's not clear that its a mere "ploy." A lot of music is now available in DSD. To my ears, it eclipses SACD. It's a huge bonus to have DSD playback in an $1100 machine.
Too bad the music available is from groups/singers I never heard of.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing