Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

waynow

Mar 9, 2013
Oppo 103 buzzing noise playing cd's.

The 103 is hookup to a Denon with (2) HDMI cables. Video in the #1 location CD's are played using #2. Noise is coming from the back surroundsound speakers, mainly through the tweeters. Playing a video through HDMI #1 is quiet. However CD's when paused, I will hear the noise on both HDMI #1 or #2. I tried putting a ground isolation on the Oppo 103 however the noise is still there.

Any troubleshooting ideas out there.

detroit1

Mar 8, 2013
1 other question, has anyone with a 105 every played a blu-ray and used both the HDMI output for audio as well as the Analog Outs and then compared the sound to see if there was a difference?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I did with my 83 and several CDs (not DVDs) and could not tell a difference. Others claim significant differences so it may be different for you. It could depend upon your other components, of course.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
1 other question, has anyone with a 105 every played a blu-ray and used both the HDMI output for audio as well as the Analog Outs and then compared the sound to see if there was a difference?
I think that there is no general answer to that question since it depends on to what the HDMI is connected and to what the analogs are connected to. I prefer the HDMI output via the Meridian 861 to the analog via the Parasound JC-2 but the difference is tiny and qualitative. I would not say that it is a universal answer.

detroit1

Mar 8, 2013
The main reason I ask is because the DAC's in the 105 are supposed to be that good, I figure there may be some extra quality to get by using the Analog outs
99% of the blu-ray players out there don't have the DAC's of the 105 so for those players it might not matter much

also, these knuckeheads at stores that carry Oppo or mail order places have no clue about the answers to any of these questions
they sell product; that's about it. They know little or nothing in terms of specific comparisons, ways of the using the player with the HDMI inputs, etc

much better to discuss here on the forum

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The main reason I ask is because the DAC's in the 105 are supposed to be that good, I figure there may be some extra quality to get by using the Analog outs
99% of the blu-ray players out there don't have the DAC's of the 105 so for those players it might not matter much

also, these knuckeheads at stores that carry Oppo or mail order places have no clue about the answers to any of these questions
they sell product; that's about it. They know little or nothing in terms of specific comparisons, ways of the using the player with the HDMI inputs, etc

If you were not planning on using the DACs (i.e. use as HDMI transport) you should get the 103 anyway.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

The 103 is hookup to a Denon with (2) HDMI cables. Video in the #1 location CD's are played using #2. Noise is coming from the back surroundsound speakers, mainly through the tweeters. Playing a video through HDMI #1 is quiet. However CD's when paused, I will hear the noise on both HDMI #1 or #2. I tried putting a ground isolation on the Oppo 103 however the noise is still there.

Any troubleshooting ideas out there.

Hmmm, I've never notice any buzzing sound from my own 103, while playing CDs. ...Stereo or surround.

My guess is that it could be:
1. Connection issue
2. Setup (audio), proper selection issue inside your Oppo player
3. Setup (audio), proper selection issue inside your Denon receiver (or pre/pro)

* If you can give me better details on your Denon model, the audio settings inside both your Oppo and Denon, and making sure that both your HDMI cables are sound and well inserted into their jacks, plus the HDMI settings inside your 103; perhaps then I'll be able to help you out.
I just need more details, precise info.

Welcome to WBF!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Yes, the DACs inside the 105 are better than the one in the 103. But is only beneficial when using the analog connections, and if you have a decent pre/pro, or receiver with a nice analog stage section. With cheaper receivers there is simply not enough benefit, IMO.

* Are you guys familiar with AVS Forum? ...There is an official thread for both the Oppo 103 and 105. And there are some members there specifically 'working' for Oppo, like Bob Pariseau for example, and others, very highly calibrated in tough technical questions and answers. ...Plus issues.

And me too I can help, if you tell me what your actual sound/visual system consists of, and what type of connections would you be using.

You're right; it's cool to discuss it in forums, like here for example. :b
...And welcome!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have a ModWright 105 with tube mods, the 9.0 outboard power supply, Bybee Music Rails, and upgraded the tubes to PSVAN and Philip s. I just sold my 93 modded by Dr. Lee. The 105 is significantly better. I got the 105 also because of it's DAC capabilities, including usb.

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I prefer the Oppo BDP-95/BDP-105's DAC via XLR out and analogue bypass for 2-ch listening. For MCH audio and video, I use HDMI out bitstreamed and let the SSP-800's DACs do the decoding. I find the SSP-800's DACs to be punchier and sometimes preferrable on rock music but, as mentioned, I use the Oppo's DAC for most 2-ch audio.

I think the preference will depend on the pre-pro's DAC.

The Modwright unit is really piquing my interest. I'm just waiting for more detailed reviews other than the typical "got it, love it" responses so far (although, that's pretty telling too).

-H

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Kal:

So then 103 would be just as good for your HDMI application?

I am not Kal (obviously not), but I'm sure he'll say yes.
Because the 103 and 105 are the exact same from their digital HDMI Out connections.
...Picture & Sound quality wise.

* One thing to remember here: If you have a good pre/pro (surround sound processor) with a good Auto Room EQ & Correction system, only the digital HDMI connection (in 99% of all cases) allows you to take the full digital advantage of it. ...In regard to hi-res multichannel and stereo audio. ...Digital Coaxial & Optical too, and up to their own (multichannel compressed) capabilities too (or stereo PCM audio).
->The multichannel analog connection does not. ...And analog stereo; only if it is digitized (ADC) in the pre/pro. ...Some do (extremely rare), most don't (digitizing the multichannel analog input with ADCs).

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Because the 103 and 105 are the exact same from their digital HDMI Out connections.
...Picture & Sound quality wise.

Is this also true if one were to use PCM for the HDMI out? The 103 has the Marvell QDEO processor while the 105 has the ESS Sabre32. I thought the ESS was supposed to be better. Again, this is for PCM out, bitstream will rely on the pre-pro/avr.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Hi Hedwig,

Yes, the same applies to HDMI's conversion to PCM. ...Decoded in both the 103 and 105 players. ...Equal sound quality.

Both the 103 and 105 have the Marvell's Kyoto-G2H (Qdeo) video processor (HDMI-1),
and both players have also the same MediaTek dual-core processor (HDMI-2).
The decoders (audio for DTS-HD MA, and Dolby TrueHD, etc.) are the same too.

* For Analog output (multichannel and stereo), the 105 has two ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, the ES9018 DAC chips. ...And the 103 has one Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC chip.
{These DACs, are 8-channel DAC on a single chip; both the ESS and Cirrus Logic.)
Of course the ESS chip is better, it is also roughly twenty times more expensive than the Cirrus Logic one. ...Perhaps fifteen times or so.

Analog is output as PCM. ...Digital is output as Bitstream, and/or also as PCM.

* For Sound Quality only, and only when using the Analog connections (XLR Balanced or RCA Unbalanced Stereo, and RCA Multichannel Outs), the 105 is superior. ...And how much superior as compared to the 103? ...It depends of the entire chain of the system. For some the difference will be markedly significant, for others less.

In your particular system Hedwig, with your Classe SSP-800 pre/pro, and using the stereo analog connections, the 105 is the right choice. ...Better sound quality.

_________

BTW, most Blu-ray players, or DVD players, or Universal players, always sound best when using the analog connections; from my own personal experience.
But that requires some balancing act, because now you lose any type of digital bass management and also digital Room EQ from your pre/pro or receiver.
So the player has to first deliver sufficient bass management, and not all players do.
As for digital Room EQ, forget it; only a handful of pre/pros are able to digitize their multichannel analog Input. ...As rare as finding mammoth's bones in the Sahara desert.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a ModWright 105 with tube mods, the 9.9 outboard power supply, Bybee Music Rails, and upgraded the tubes to PSVAN and Philip s. I just sold my 93 modded by Dr. Lee. The 105 is significantly better. I got the 105 also because of it's DAC capabilities, including usb.

Did you ever compare or consider the Concert Fidelity DAC 040? I know it only has one input, etc. Just curious about sound quality more than its practicality as a DAC (vs Oppo 105).

waynow

Mar 9, 2013

Hmmm, I've never notice any buzzing sound from my own 103, while playing CDs. ...Stereo or surround.

My guess is that it could be:
1. Connection issue
2. Setup (audio), proper selection issue inside your Oppo player
3. Setup (audio), proper selection issue inside your Denon receiver (or pre/pro)

* If you can give me better details on your Denon model, the audio settings inside both your Oppo and Denon, and making sure that both your HDMI cables are sound and well inserted into their jacks, plus the HDMI settings inside your 103; perhaps then I'll be able to help you out.
I just need more details, precise info.

Welcome to WBF!

Thanks for the reply.

The 103 is hookup to a Denon 2313 with (2) HDMI cables. Video of the Oppo in the #1 location CD's are played using #2. I set it up that way to retain the individual settings. Noise is coming from the back surround sound speakers, mainly through the tweeters, though minimal, still annoying in between songs. It can’t be a connection problem because playing a video through HDMI #1 or #2 is quiet. No issues. However CD's when paused, I will hear the noise on both HDMI #1 or #2.

I tried ground isolation all my equipment including the Directv coax however the noise is still there. This doesn’t appear to be a grounding issue.

One interesting note is that Turning off Audyssey will eliminate the noise. Don’t want to do that because the stereo sounds better w/ Audyssey on with or without noise.

This probably a Denon isuue know that I am think about it.

I just got both pieces of equipment. Performed Audyssey testing several times. Noise still there.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Thanks for the reply.

The 103 is hookup to a Denon 2313 with (2) HDMI cables. Video of the Oppo in the #1 location CD's are played using #2. I set it up that way to retain the individual settings. Noise is coming from the back surround sound speakers, mainly through the tweeters, though minimal, still annoying in between songs. It can’t be a connection problem because playing a video through HDMI #1 or #2 is quiet. No issues. However CD's when paused, I will hear the noise on both HDMI #1 or #2.

I tried ground isolation all my equipment including the Directv coax however the noise is still there. This doesn’t appear to be a grounding issue.

One interesting note is that Turning off Audyssey will eliminate the noise. Don’t want to do that because the stereo sounds better w/ Audyssey on with or without noise.

This probably a Denon isuue know that I am think about it.

I just got both pieces of equipment. Performed Audyssey testing several times. Noise still there.

Can you set the Denon to "stereo" mode for CD playback? It's possible that the HDMI connection is leaving the surround speakers active in your current setting, causing a bleed-through of noise. You can experiment with settings to see if there is a way to turn off the surround channels for 2-channel HDMI CD playback, but leaving your Audyssey active for your fronts.

Lee

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Did you ever compare or consider the Concert Fidelity DAC 040? I know it only has one input, etc. Just curious about sound quality more than its practicality as a DAC (vs Oppo 105).

No, but I am friends with a CF dealer, and he usually uses Wies dacs at the shows and his showroom. It is all a preference really. Also, I am out of the $10K digital game right now becuaust it changes so fast. That said, I prefer my Modwright 105 to my old $32K Burmester or $18K Wadia, no joke.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing