Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Since I can buy a Darbee standalone, will it improve the PQ of my 105 to my Runco plasma?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Since I can buy a Darbee standalone, will it improve the PQ of my 105 to my Runco plasma?

Jim, your Runco plasma, how big?

* The people who benefit the most from the Darbee video processing are the ones with a front projector.
And, the Darbee standalone (less expensive version) is $349 MSRP.

** If you intend to have a front projector eventually, you can check the Darbee Darblet thread over at AVS Forum.

And Here as well.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Jim, your Runco plasma, how big?

* The people who benefit the most from the Darbee video processing are the ones with a front projector.
And, the Darbee standalone (less expensive version) is $349 MSRP.

** If you intend to have a front projector eventually, you can check the Darbee Darblet thread over at AVS Forum.

And Here as well.

50". Thanks

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I wouldn't bother, according to my numerous readings on the subject.

Well, what the heck. I bought an outboard Darbee it to try out.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I wouldn't bother, according to my numerous readings on the subject.

Got the Darbee in yesterday and hooked it up today. It does make a marked improvement. More detail, deeper blacks and more sharpness. This is with my 105 and a Runco 50" 1080p plasma. Blu-ray and cable TV have improved IMHO.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have a bit of a mystery on my hands - may be someone can help out.

While I am sorting out my HTPC for video, I am using the Oppo as Video server using DLNA streaming. I have been ripping Blu Rays and regular DVDs using Pav Tubes bytecopy to MKV. My The DVDs I ripped are concert DVD and I extract the indivual tracks - audio is either at AC3 or AAC. For Blu Ray I convert the audio to AAC.

I stream the movies and concert DVD tracks over DLNA to my Oppo 103. Here is what is strange. For the Converted Blu Rays I am getting 5.1 MCH audio, for the Converted DVD tracks I am getting 2 channel audio. The tracks are 100% sure both 5.1, because If I play the same track that plays stereo on the Oppo over Jriver on my HTPC, I am getting 5.1 audio.

Anyone has any idea what is going on? How can I stream my 5.1 concert DVD tracks with MCH audio into my Oppo?

thestewman

Feb 4, 2011
I have a bit of a mystery on my hands - may be someone can help out.

While I am sorting out my HTPC for video, I am using the Oppo as Video server using DLNA streaming. I have been ripping Blu Rays and regular DVDs using Pav Tubes bytecopy to MKV. My The DVDs I ripped are concert DVD and I extract the indivual tracks - audio is either at AC3 or AAC. For Blu Ray I convert the audio to AAC.

I stream the movies and concert DVD tracks over DLNA to my Oppo 103. Here is what is strange. For the Converted Blu Rays I am getting 5.1 MCH audio, for the Converted DVD tracks I am getting 2 channel audio. The tracks are 100% sure both 5.1, because If I play the same track that plays stereo on the Oppo over Jriver on my HTPC, I am getting 5.1 audio.

Anyone has any idea what is going on? How can I stream my 5.1 concert DVD tracks with MCH audio into my Oppo?

First thing I can think of is you must have the OPPO set for 720P and above or you will get reduced channel bandwidth

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but the DVD side of my BDP-83 died. I plan to send it back for repair, but need another player in the house so am planning to take this opportunity to pick up another Oppo. I plan on getting the Darbee edition as almost everyone and all the reviews indicate the extra $100 is well-spent. However, I am torn on the 103D vs. 105D. Due to the delay issue I use the analog output for CDs, but comparing the 83 and 85, and later 93/95, I really could not tell a difference between HDMI and analog, let alone between the two analog flavors, so did not consider the higher-priced units. I always sort-of thought I might get one next time, but next time is now and my finances are a wreck so I am probably going with the 103D. The other major factor is that my AVR processes the analog anyway to provide room correction so adding another DAC before the ADC doesn't really buy much... The only reason I am doing it is because the start-up delay is so much less with analog outputs compared to HDMI.

That said, for those of you that have listened to the 103 or 105 (regular or D), what did you think? Was there a significant upgrade in sound quality going to the 105? Worth 2x the price?

Curious, thanks - Don

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Don,

The 105D also supports other USB input formats, providing more flexibility for music server applications, etc.

The Darbee processing is effective, and has a split-screen mode so that you may compare the on/off picture quality.

I will be comparing the internal DACs of the OPPO to those in my external DAC soon. They both use the ESS9018 chipset, so the implementation and analog output stage quality should be an interesting A/B.

Lee

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Lee. I am interested to hear (read) your review. The killer for my current system is that better audio output will be lost going through my AVR since it sends the analog inputs through an ADC (and then another DAC), and I need the EQ in the AVR since I don't have a stand-alone EQ system (needed in my room due to the treatment needed to deal with nasty room modes).

I noticed the 105/D offers several extra features, not sure how much I would use them. I missed the USB additions, need to review that. I do like the option of a headphone output, and that is only on the 105. I have not networked my system but am considering it for the future. I added a little Linksys box to hook in a NAS but the wireless link is a bit spotty and slow (going from 2nd floor all the way to basement, probably need a repeater on the first floor). Might add another to force myself to try out a server and streaming files.

It seems like most everybody likes Darbee so I figured I'd pop for that. Thanks for confirming!

Have you noticed if it still has the initial delay when playing a CD?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but the DVD side of my BDP-83 died. I plan to send it back for repair, but need another player in the house so am planning to take this opportunity to pick up another Oppo. I plan on getting the Darbee edition as almost everyone and all the reviews indicate the extra $100 is well-spent. However, I am torn on the 103D vs. 105D. Due to the delay issue I use the analog output for CDs, but comparing the 83 and 85, and later 93/95, I really could not tell a difference between HDMI and analog, let alone between the two analog flavors, so did not consider the higher-priced units. I always sort-of thought I might get one next time, but next time is now and my finances are a wreck so I am probably going with the 103D. The other major factor is that my AVR processes the analog anyway to provide room correction so adding another DAC before the ADC doesn't really buy much... The only reason I am doing it is because the start-up delay is so much less with analog outputs compared to HDMI.

That said, for those of you that have listened to the 103 or 105 (regular or D), what did you think? Was there a significant upgrade in sound quality going to the 105? Worth 2x the price?

Curious, thanks - Don

Please let us know what you decide. For me, it came down to 95 at a knock down price, 103 for slightly more or 105 for retail...and I took the 95 for knock down price (less than 103). I use it only for watching movies. I thought at the time the 95 offered a better set of features/parts (as the prior year's flagship) than the 103. I could be wrong...in the end, its price and my intention to use it only for watching movies made the final decision.

marcelhansen

May 11, 2016
Volendam. Holland
Hello!

Can you please recommend / advise the following audio options for an Oppo 103 Darbee Edition ? ( my receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1050 and my television a LG 55EG960V ):

RESOLUTION:
4K x 2K / Auto / 1080p / 1080i ??

SECONDARY AUDIO:
On / Off ?

HDMI AUDIO:
Auto / Lpcm / bitstream / Off ??

HDCD DECODING:
On / Off ??

CROSSOVER:
Now 80 hz -> can be up to 250hz -> What would you advise ?

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL:
Auto / On / Off ??

DTS NEO: 6 MODE:
Music / Cinema / Off ??

OUTPUT VOLUME:
Variable / Fixed ??

My Yamaha RX-A 1050 receiver with Dolby Atmos. What picture setting would you use please: Through, 1080p or 1080i ??

Thank you soooo much in advance for the information requested and look forward to hear from you !

Best Regards,

Marcel Hansen
Holland
marcel.hansen@vkg.com

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
If the AVR is handling sound and video and the Oppo is linked via HDMI then most settings should not matter or be left at defaults.

My guesses: If your TV supports it use 1080p or Auto resolution. Secondary audio off, HDMI audio I would try bitstream but if the AVR does not support all the modes in bitstream then Auto or LPCM, HDCD decoding only matters if you have HDCD's, crossover/Dynamic Range/DTS should be handled by the AVR (leave off), I would use fixed output volume if you are controlling the volume with the AVR.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello!

Can you please recommend / advise the following audio options for an Oppo 103 Darbee Edition ? ( my receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1050 and my television a LG 55EG960V ):

RESOLUTION:
4K x 2K / Auto / 1080p / 1080i ??
4K if your TV is 4K. Otherwise 1080p.

SECONDARY AUDIO:
On / Off ?
On but as Don said, this only matters if you let the player do the audio decoding.

HDMI AUDIO:
Auto / Lpcm / bitstream / Off ??
LPCM so that the player can do secondary audio mixing.

HDCD DECODING:
On / Off ??
On.

CROSSOVER:
Now 80 hz -> can be up to 250hz -> What would you advise ?
You should set this to OFF if you are using an AVR. This is only useful if you are using the analog outputs of the OPPO and are driving subs. In that case 80 Hz is the right answer almost all the time.

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL:
Auto / On / Off ??
Off.

DTS NEO: 6 MODE:
Music / Cinema / Off ??
If you have more channels than what is on disc, you can play with these settings. Otherwise Off.

OUTPUT VOLUME:
Variable / Fixed ??
Fixed.

My Yamaha RX-A 1050 receiver with Dolby Atmos. What picture setting would you use please: Through, 1080p or 1080i ??

Thank you soooo much in advance for the information requested and look forward to hear from you !

Best Regards,

Marcel Hansen
Holland
The processing in AVRs can be quite poor. So I would let the Oppo do it. ON 4K setting, if the Yamaha cannot pass it and you have a 4K TV, route the one output to the TV direct.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Duh, what Amir said, I missed the 4k setting (don't have anything 4k, brain fart).

I have an Oppo and two other players; two have to be LPCM and the other bitstream to work with my AVR. I can't recall how my (older) Oppo is set.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bonjour Marcel,

• Output Resolution: 1080p*
• Secondary Audio: Off
• HDMI Audio: Bitstream
• HDCD Decoding: On
• Crossover: 80Hz
• Dynamic Range Control: Off
• DTS Neo:6: Off
• Output Volume: Variable

? http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html
? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...-s-thread.html

Cheers,
Bob

* P.S. Your Yamaha receiver and LG TV are 4K compatible; you can try the 4K upsampling of the Oppo BDP-103D - Output Resolution.
Check if the picture quality is to your satisfaction @ 4K.
{All the other settings I mentioned above; they are my recommendation; the ones I use personally and the best for top hi-res audio and hi-def video.}

Plus the two links provided have EVERYTHING you need, and more more more, much so much more. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing