Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players :: Reviews & Opinions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- As some of you already know the Oppo BDP-103 BD player was released about a month ago or so. And the Oppo BDP-105 will be released mid November (about a week from now).

Those two 2012 BD players are the replacements from last year's models; the BDP-93 & BDP-95,
which received raved reviews from all over. And the BDP-95 is a Class A+ rated from the SACD, DVD-A, & CD Players & Transports & Media Players section of the latest Stereophile Recommended Components, audio mag. ...This is the higest rating. ...Not bad for a $999 player.
By the way, the dCS Scarlatti: $82,256/system is also in that same class.

The BDP-103 retails for $499 US. ...Same price as last year's model, the BDP-93.
And the BDP-105 retails for $1,199 US. Two hundred dollars more than last year's model, the BDP-95.

This thread is all about the two new players, and as compared to their last year's predecessors.

You can easily find out more by going to Oppo's own website (for the full enchilada on features and specs).
=> http://www.oppodigital.com/ - United States

If some members here have or will have one of those players, then this is the place to share your impressions of these great Universal BD players.
I should receive mine (BDP-103) next week.

Meanwhile, if I find some professional online reviews, I will also share them right here.

So, stay tuned as more's to come. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
More info ::

-- The Oppo BDP-103 was available to a certain 'clientele' (beta people) back in September 26.
And then it was officially available for public purchase on October 23.

The Oppo BDP-105 is supposed to be available on November 15 (for the general public at large).

1. => Official Oppo BDP-103 Owners Thread

2. => Official Oppo BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread

* Some pro reviews: => http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/

---- Bob Pariseau, from Anthem (Canada), is a very good 'cyber' friend,
and he is extremely helpful with anything Oppo and Anthem products related.

Plus, the owner of the mainstream audio dealer for Oppo Products (and others) in Canada (Andrew), and one of his associates sales rep (Adrian) are two very nice people and always available for help on any type of questions. I communicated with both from emails and on the phone, and it was a pleasure to do business with them guys.

And by the way, the Oppo BDP-103 is already rated the Best 2013 BD player for Image Quality,
from one of the reviews included in one of the links above (the one from the UK; Spain).

Can't wait to get my unit (should be here by next Tuesday or before). :b
And then I will give you my OWN full review on it (things that personally ring my own set of chords). And that, should be quite extensive as I'm into many Audio/Video formats.
...Only on the Downstreaming (Music & Video) side of the equation that I won't be able to satisfy all of you here. But I'm sure other members will.

And remember, that player is incredible for all the features that it has!
It is the swiss-army-knife of all them players in the world.
And what's even more incredible, is that it supposed to do them all excellently.

High-end player? Not by price, but yes by performance, features, and value of course. :b

** The BDP-105 ($1,199) is supposed to be simply AWESOME! ...A very good digital preamp too!
...And an analog section of first rate. ...The high times are now! ...And for EVERYBODY! :b

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Interesting. I have the 83 which is the original Bluray model and could not be happier. It does an incredible job of up-scaling regular DVD's and has worked flawlessly since the get-go. I love that Oppo came out of nowhere about 2004 and took over the reasonably priced high quality DVD then Bluray market. I did not use the word "high-end" since there is only one number prior to the comma ;)

I would love to see a side-by-side on video with the 83 and the new models to see how much "visible" improvement you get. Since I don't use analog out I could not find a reason to upgrade to the newer models that have improved analog sections. I would love a reason to buy one of the newer models given the way I use mine.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The most interesting new feature to me would be the HDMI input. I have a modded 93 with 4xS/PDIF digital output board, but I still need a separate SSP just to decode my satellite TV. If the digi out board for the 103 comes out, I will be ditching the SSP and just run my satellite receiver into the Oppo over HDMI!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Interesting. I have the 83 which is the original Bluray model and could not be happier. It does an incredible job of up-scaling regular DVD's and has worked flawlessly since the get-go. I love that Oppo came out of nowhere about 2004 and took over the reasonably priced high quality DVD then Bluray market. I did not use the word "high-end" since there is only one number prior to the comma ;)

I would love to see a side-by-side on video with the 83 and the new models to see how much "visible" improvement you get. Since I don't use analog out I could not find a reason to upgrade to the newer models that have improved analog sections. I would love a reason to buy one of the newer models given the way I use mine.

Have both in my stack now, will a/b in a couple of weeks and let you know what I find. Don't expect any difference for PQ but hope I'm wrong.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- A review of the Oppo BDP-103 that just came up today (USA) ::

=> http://www.hometheater.com/content/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-3d-player

And if you want to compare that review with its predecessor, the BDP-93, and by the same reviewer ::

=> http://www.hometheater.com/content/oppo-bdp-93-blu-ray-player

And if you want some reviews of the old prehistoric dinosaur, the Oppo BDP-83, and in its various iterations (upgrades) like the Special Edition one, blah-blah-blah, and also some reviews of last year's BDP-95; just use your best tool from your Internet's arsenal, Google, or Bing. :b

But this thread is all about the 103 and the 105; the other years' models are only for comparison's sake.
Home Theater has also reviewed the BDP-95, so is Kal Rubinson over at Stereophile.

And watch out for the upcoming 105! Should truly dynamite your life right to its deepest foundations! :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Just for the sake of simple info ::

* You can buy a 3D Blu-ray player (if that's all you want to do; picture from Blu-rays and DVDs),
for only hundred to two hundred bucks (Samsung, Panasonic, Sony) and you won't see a nickel of a difference between it and the Oppo BDP-103; picture wise.

BUT! The Oppo BDP-103 is much more than that.

Me, I got the very best Sony 3D BD/SACD player, the very best Samsung 3D BD player, the very best Panasonic BD player (with very nice analog CD sound), but the Oppo BDP-103 will make them all obsolete for my own purpose.

The only machines that I keep are my HD DVD players, my Denon Universal DVD player, and my Rotel CD player.

Hey, we ain't talking about a $25,000 Universal machine player here, but we are in the vicinity of one hundred to $2,000 here; for real down-to-earth 2012 comparisons that are fair with the times we live on.
...If you know what I streamingly mean. ;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I like what Dan Modwright does to the Oppo 95 and soon the 105.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I inquired with Dr. Lee about his linear powersupply and he mentioned his powersupply for the 93 will fit into the 103 without any changes.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I inquired with Dr. Lee about his linear powersupply and he mentioned his powersupply for the 93 will fit into the 103 without any changes.

Great to know, thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like what Dan Modwright does to the Oppo 95 and soon the 105.

Great to know, thanks.

---- Do you guys have more details to share about that (with links perhaps)?
I would truly appreciate.

I only briefly read regarding the mods made to the 95; but would love to have all the details. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
---- Do you guys have more details to share about that (with links perhaps)?
I would truly appreciate.

I only briefly read regarding the mods made to the 95; but would love to have all the details. :b

Modwrigh is here:

http://www.modwright.com/

You can track down Dr. Lee on AVS Forum. He will take paypal and ship you his powersupply. It is a 15 minutes DiY mod o na 93. You'll have to take him at his word it will fit into a 103.

http://www.avsforum.com/u/7606525/lee-jaehong

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---- Thank you gentlemen. :b

Now, can you tell me more, but this time in your own words; and from personal experience, and also from what you've read from others.

Thanx

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, but most importantly the difference (sound) it makes (I assume it is for the best). :b

I'll be dead honest with you. I had an Oppo with a digital out board mod and was in the middle of other configuration changes when Dr. Lee's power supply arrived. It is dirt cheap, so I just put it in and went on with life. I cannot say it had this revelation when I first spun a disc with the new powersupply. I never did critical comparison so I cannot tell how much (if any) of a difference it makes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- I see Ed.

* By the way, twenty-five minutes ago I just received my 103. ...Unmodded (yet).

And I'm keeping an eye and ear open on the 105; as it might be an even better solution for me.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- I see Ed.

* By the way, twenty-five minutes ago I just received my 103. ...Unmodded (yet).

And I'm keeping an eye and ear open on the 105; as it might be an even better solution for me.

What application will you use it for. Obviously for all things analog the 105 is the ticket. If you use it as a digital transport only, I would recommend disconnecting the analog board from the power suply. The new Theta Compli 3D disables the analog section apparently improving digital trasport peformance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing